“Not so great”

Travelodge Seattle University
Ranked #91 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We picked all hotels via TA reviews. We're used to budget travel as we prefer spending more on food and entertainment. Stayed at Travelodges before and at Super 8 on this same trip. This one was nowhere near what it should be. Rooms are really dated, not very clean and the bed was horrible. The breakfast they advertise is from 6 - 8 am so be an early riser or else.

When we got to the Thriftlodge in Portland (same chain) the next night we mentioned it to the manager - he was surprised since his place is technically one notch below. Needless to say it was way better.

Seattle hotels can be pricey but if this is budget then I recommend splurging a bit for something else. Never been to hotel I couldn't recommend before.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank restandrelax84

Reviewed February 8, 2008

AC is very loud -- worse then sleeping on an airplane.

hiden charge on Safe Warranty --- trick you during check in to sign an agreement --- take advantage of people who are tired to check for a rest...

staff very rude ----

worst hotel i have ever stayed in my life time.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank tsanah
Reviewed January 6, 2008

1. Cheap- you get what you pay for.
2. Easy and convenient for a single individual traveling alone.
3. Internet service.
4. Close proximity to University of Washington. Village Shopping Center.
5. Clean bathroom, room.

• Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed January 1, 2008

This was the worse hotel I have ever stayed in, and prompted me not only to check out early, but also to write my first hotel review.

For $80 a night, I stayed in a room that:
- had warm, but not hot water, so I could never take shower without getting cold, and I had to wait about 2-3 minutes before any warm water came out of the faucet in the first place.
- was "non-smoking" but directly across the hall from the smoking rooms, so that the smell travelled into my room at 6 am when my neighbors decided to light up.
- was darkly lit, smelled strongly of cleaning detergent and had stains bed cover
- was cleaned by very polite housekeepers, but a remarkably rude and unfriendly staff.

Today, I checked out of the hotel and for $20 less a night am staying in a friendly, clean chain with warm water, a sauna, and a room that reminds me that my Travelodge experience was rare and not to be tolerated.

1  Thank fern12345
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Without a doubt one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. A friend and I mistakenly chose to stay here for a conference at the University, and from the moment we arrived, the stay was completely revolting. Upon trying to check in, there were problems with both of our reservations, about which the clerk only laughed. His attitude was that this is what we deserved for daring to stay in this dump. After waiting a good 30 minutes to get our room keys, we entered the wing where our rooms were.

We were first greeted by an atrocious and overpowering smell - something along the lines of a mixture of mildew, urine, and some toxic chemical probably used to attempt to clean. The hallways were barely lit. Then we entered our rooms to a slightly less strong stink - no toxic flavor, just mildew and urine. On turning on the light, one of the (at most) 25 watt bulbs was burnt out. Turning on the others gave only slightly more light - a nice dim, dank look complimented the smell nicely. The carpeting was slightly damp - I tried not to think about what I was walking in. The room was a bit chilly when we arrived, so I turned on the "heater/air conditioner", but no matter what knobs I turned where, no heat came out - only cold air - no matter how long I waited. At least I was able to turn mine off; when my friend tried the same with his, he found that it just kept going - so the thing was blowing cold air into his room all night.

The bathroom was crap, but ok. It took a good 5 minutes for the shower water to become remotely hot. The walls were dirty, had various stains and marks, and rusty outlines told us where some racks used to hang. I had a good bathroom, it seems, as my friends' toilet didn't flush, he was unable to get more than a tiny stream of water to flow from his faucet, and his bathtub had numerous brown stains throughout. Oh, and he had one less lamp in his room than I did.

The bed was uncomfortable at best and there were numerous holes in the sheets/blankets. The pillows were comically thin - I had to stack two to get a reasonable "pillow". And on top of everything, when I figured to myself I could at least do a little work to take my mind off the decrepit surroundings, I found that the wireless signal was too weak to get internet access. I proceeded to walk around the floor, open laptop in hand checking to see if the signal ever improved, but no such luck.

The complimentary breakfast: disgusting. I took one bite of the soggy, plastic-wrapped muffin and instantly threw the rest away. There was cereal, but no milk for it.

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried - heed this and all the other awful reviews of this complete embarrassment of an establishment and simply stay away. This heap should be a tourist attraction in and of itself - visit to see the squalor and to laugh at those who stupidly paid money to stay here, but don't spend a cent to stay yourself.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank ozufan
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We stayed in this hotel from Aug 13 thru Aug 21st. If another hotel had been available we would have left, but there was not one within the area. The motel was $115 a night and on the weekends it was $145. My son was getting ready to go to the University and we wanted to be close by. This is a hard hotel to get to from the University. They say its only 2 blocks but that is deceptive. You have to go thru a mall parking lot and then get onto the road that leads up via a HUGE hill to get to the edge of the campus. He's not walking distance and driving is difficult fo rthen you have to find parking at the University and that is not cheap! $11 a day to park there. That was the first bad thing. When we checked in all they were worried about was how busy they were and how many housekeepers they are short. You know what? I dont care what kind of day you are having, you had better greet me like I'm a guest and not an inconvenience. I was put out by that, but made the best of it. Then to the room. The rooms were AWFUL! To spend that much money I except a bit more. Where do I start? First thing was the clock that didnt work. We went and asked the front desk where Ben was working. They did not have one but he would get the maintenance man in the morning to get one. That never happened. The tv's sound went in and out. No consistency. The interenet rarely worked and we could not go online. Had to go over to the barnes and noble and pay to use our laptops. The sheets were old and the blankets were ragged. Of course the mattresses were old too. The walls were dirty ( a bit of paint goes along ways) The curtains were old and drabby and dirty. The coffee maker didnt work either and the coffee they gave out was so bad anyways. No coffee in the filters. The bathroom was gross. There was rust on the toilet paper holder, the door was all chipped up (again, a little paint goes a long ways), the sink and faucet old, tears on the wallpaper, the caulking was dirty around the tub. We didnt even attempt the hot tub or the swimming pool, because they looked dirty and un kept as well. I think the owner/manager should be ashamed on how bad their hotel looks. We looked into a couple of other rooms there and they were just as bad. To think people pay alot of money for such a bad room. And we were one of those. This room would'va been worth $50 bucks a night, not 145. That is ridiculous. The people at the front desk were okay, just too concerned with how busy they were and not if we were taken care of as a guest. This hotel has alot to learn about customer service. I was not pleased at all and I doubt if they will do anything anyways about it, but at least people will be forewarned not to use this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Dana5002
Reviewed August 21, 2007

This lodging was obtained through priceline.com. While the room was clean it was cramped for 2 adult women. We had to share a double bed, request extra linens, and no luggage cart or elevator was available. There was some sort of event and was told to make sure we had a lodging indicator in the car windshield because the also cramped parking lot was going to be full. It is too far for downtown sightseeing, especially with heavily announced I-5 changes due to putting in light rail from downtown to airport. This may have been better for a single person having business at UW, or someone accompanying some one to the UW hospitals which are close. There was a nice mall across the street with shops, Starbucks and grocery. No microwave or minifridge in room.

2  Thank ningoIllinois