“A Behemoth with an Underlying Personality and Great Views”
Review of The Westin Seattle

The Westin Seattle
Ranked #46 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I prefer to steer clear of large, high-trafficked hotels because they normally have no style. The Westin Seattle, situated in the downtown area of the northwest metropolis, is big, I mean really big. The hotel is made up of two large towers where hordes of travelers traipse in-between Starbucks and the Relish Burger Bistro located in the lobby. What the hotel lacks in style, it makes up with an affable staff and great views.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I was warmly greeted by the valet and directed to the lobby where a knowledgeable front desk attendant quickly checked me in. Because I’m a Starwood gold member, I was upgraded to large room on the 38th floor, which had a jaw-dropping view of the Pugent Sound. The room was so large I felt guilty being a single traveler. The bathroom wasn’t as spacious but it was clean. My only qualm was that the room was directly facing the slow moving elevator. Despite that minor infraction, my two-night stay was pleasant and I recommend the property as a good base near Seattle’s notable offerings.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Westin Seattle

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a long weekend in July. This hotel is basically 2 tall round towers. The rooms therefore have an odd shape. Views are beautiful. You can walk to Pikes place. Only negative was that they never picked up our breakfast order card on the last day. I notified the front desk upon checkout and got nothing at all...not even extra SPG points. Avoid parking at the hotel. There are cheaper alternatives around the corner. Overall this Hotel has the feel of an old hotel that has been freshened up but will need it again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night for business. Would definitely come back for fun. Hotel is in two round towers, so the rooms are wedge shipped, making the windows huge. I had a view of the waterfront and the city is beautiful at night. Right next to the monorail and within walking distance of Pike Place Market. Parking is a little expensive so that us something to consider if you are driving in.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I'm the kind of guy who gets a hotel room to sleep in, shower in, and to get out of. When looking for a place to stay, I'm only looking for a low price, a clean room, and a convenient location. The Westin has so much more than that.

I've stayed in a Westin once before: the Bonaventure in Los Angeles. Like the Westin Seattle, it too has circular towers which cause slightly unusual room layouts. This Labor Day weekend, I was in town for the PAX convention, and, believe it or not, this was the lowest price room on Hotwire I could find that was anywhere near the convention center. It was still pricey as heck, but that's what a low supply and high demand lead to.

I arrived really early -- 8 AM -- and dropped off my bag. My room wasn't ready yet, of course, but I left my cell phone number, and they called me at about 2 PM when it became available. The south tower 18th floor room was well maintained, clean, and modern. The minibar items didn't have a pricing sheet, but that's a fool's expense anyway. Internet access was fast, but about $10 per night.

The bed -- so comfortable! The shower had good pressure and had both the overhead shower AND a wand-on-a-hose thing. The initial wand location was such that it either shot water straight into my face, or when I moved, into the towel rack. Bad design. I moved it down, but it still was just a little too high at its lowest setting. Not a big deal -- I just reduced its water pressure.

Sunday morning, I was in the shower, and the power went out. It wasn't a big deal -- I found it amusing and a reminder of how it used to be in the college dorms. The big windows let in plenty of light after I dripped my way over to them, and my flashlight lit up the bathroom enough to get ready to go. Making my way down the 18 floors in the stairwell was, actually, kind of fun, but the greasy stains and drips on the walls of the stairwell made me question, slightly, how clean this place is behind the scenes. Stairwells are usually grimy, dingy places, so I don't hold this against them.

The staff was unobtrusively helpful, from the front desk to the luggage desk to the housekeeping. It's not a very cozy, romantic place, but instead really has the feel of professionalism and business. If I had an expense account, I'd come back here without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on a business/vacation trip. Wonderful ambiance and a great experience. The rooms were spectacular with sweeping view of Puget Sound. Walking distance to Macy's, Pike place market and shopping/restaurants. Absolutely comfortable bed and down pillows. Well stocked bathroom with amenities. Chose to be green and turned down room service to get 500 SPG points. Overall a super experience. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose the bay view rooms. Can't go wrong there.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We love Seattle in the summer. We had the opportunity for a last minute trip over Labor Day to visit and were glad to get in the Westin. Check-in went very smooth (we checked in at 2:50 - right before the 3pm check in time). So here is an interesting thing they do in Seattle - they call themselves a green hotel in that they will give you 500 points or take $5/day off your rate if you don't take maid service. We decided to do it day by day.

We get to our room - beautiful view of Lake Union, clean and comfortable. However, I think they take the green thing too far. There was was less than 1/4 roll of toilet paper - and no spare. There was one towel for each of us and one hand towel. Needless to say - I felt I needed to use the maid service to get the toilet paper (well worth the $5..)

However, everything else about the Hotel is great. Elevators are quick and the all seemed to be functional. Location is great for restaurants and location to the Market.

Highly recommend.

Room Tip: high rooms have the best views. The north tower is taller.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our 2-night stay at this hotel was great
It's great location and nice and friendly staff were the best of this experience.
Self parking or valet is expensive but i parked in front of the hotel at one of the public parking for less.
Breakfast was good (not included in the room) but a variety of choices are provided in their menu.
Rooms and bathrooms are clean and nice
The hotel itself is a little bit outdated but everything else is fine and toward your comfort.

Room Tip: Ask for top floors if possible for the nice city view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsMgrTWS, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for your review and high rating. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please check our website for special rates and promotions for your next getaway. We look forward to being of service again soon.