“Beautiful Views”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Views”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Good Hotel for Business. The rooms are a fairly good size and the higher floors allow for beautiful views of downtown. They do feel a bit dated though. Overall it accomplishes what it needs to. However, the feel of the hotel really lacks "Personality".

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Weston Point, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Then Westin Seattle has well appointed rooms with comfy beds. The rooms are clean and fairly modern but the property overall is dated and could use a lot of renovation to command the price per night I paid through booking.com. The lobby, vehicle entrance and gym and pool all have noticeable age and wear that show a lack of attention or in some cases possible neglect. The hotels location downtown is excellent. It is an easy walk to shopping, Pike Place Market and the Space Needle.

The pool was dirty and missing at least 18" of water. I tried to swim in the pool but I couldn't because the water only came to my knees in the shallow end and to my waist in the deep end.

The room was nice, the beds were of good quality and has lots of pillows, a large flat screen TV a couple nice chairs and a desk. Everything worked well. I was on the 12th floor but the hotel has up to 30 floors depending on the tower you're room is in (north or south). I did notice the towels were a bit grey and had way too much fabric softener bit overall the bathroom was well appointed and clean. Internet in the room was $9.90 a day for up to 5 devices.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Parking is ridiculously expensive at over $40 a day to self park including tax.

Overall this is a fine hotel but I would expect more from the Westin brand, especially for the price they charge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank UKWill99
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here while on tour with work and the westin rooms never disappoint. I had a view of the space needle as well as plenty of outlets which are hard to come by in other hotels. The rooms at westin are always on the larger side and the bed was comfortable. The only negative thing I have to say is I am 100% positive I forgot my makeup bag in the room and they were "unable to locate it" as someone who uses Mac makeup this was a HUGE loss of all my makeup and made the rest of my trip awful as I didn't have any of my stuff.

Location wise the hotel is walking distance to everything, pike market, the water, the duck tour, shopping, food etc. Very good location and overall great hotel except for losing all my stuff which I knew I left it. Someone just must have also liked all my high end makeup...

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get the view of the needle and the water as well.
Spokane, WA
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Westin has been my husband's favorite hotel in Seattle for years. A few years ago, the Westin underwent an extensive facelift. And the new carpet and paint are indeed lovely.

Yet, the Westin needs more help than what paint and new carpeting can afford. Mainly, the beds are indeed heavenly. But the sheets, pillows, and blankets show much wear. The down blanket on my bed, though bleached clean, wore the signs of many uses for years. When I held the blanket up to the light, I could see nasty stains that had not bleached out. Fortunately, there was a sheet between that blanket and me. But still, I was not pleased with having slept under this old, stained down blanket.

The sheets are old; some of the pillows are lumpy. The towels in the bathroom were clean (smelled of bleach). But one of the towels was frayed and kind of worn. It has a slippery feel to it. The other towels seems newer and more absorbent than the slippery one.

To the Westin's credit, when I mentioned these conditions at check-out, the fellow at the desk apologized and gave us a free breakfast (not a cheap fix, either -- brunch for 2 is $40). But then, the Westin is a luxury hotel. Management really needs to complete the makeover and provide new linens and such for guests. Not doing this is like trotting out a Prada model with runs in her nylon stockings!

Green Features: The Westin allows guests to choose whether or not to have linens and towels changed daily. You can get a $5 credit toward a meal, for example.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 24, 2013

First, longest wait ever for an elevator in the morning. Add at least 15 minutes if you need to get out of the building (at least the South tower, anyway).

Second, there was no in-room dining for dinner. I could order from Relish, the burger bistro, and go pick it up myself in the very noisy lobby area, which gave me sensory overload when I had to pass through it to check in, and now I had to go down there again. The burger was excellent, however. And breakfast room service was as expected, although about 10 minutes earlier than the indicated time slot on the door hanger order form.

Third, the room was the strangest I had ever been in for a Westin. The bed as a hideaway, which meant that there were 6 inch wide wooden railings on either side of the bed that were as high as the bed and about half as long as the bed, which made getting in and out of bed difficult and made the side table unreachable. That and when getting out of the bed in the middle of the night I banged my ankle on the wooden rail. Ouch.

Fourth, the room fan wasn't working. It would heat and cool fine, but when you switched it from "auto" to "hi" or "lo" it wouldn't go on or stay on. I need white noise to sleep, and almost every hotel room as the ability to turn the room fan on. This made it difficult to sleep.

As compared to other Westins I have stayed at, this one is average. Good location downtown, but I likely wouldn't opt to stay at this hotel again.

Green Features: The Westin uses Starwood Hotels "Make a Green Choice" program which provides for a $5 voucher or 500 SPG points for declining housekeeping services each day (other than the day of checkout).
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Westin. I LOVED the bed and the wonderful bedding...it was so soft, clean, and comfortable! I stayed on the 15th floor and had a view of the buildings and the water. It was very quiet, and my room was spacious. The pool, hot tub, and balcony from the pool looked great but I was too busy to enjoy them! I also wanted to take advantage of the amazing work out clothes and shoes deal - $5 (!!great!!) to work out in the gym but was too busy with my seminar and playing tourist.I ate lunch at the hotel's restaurant twice, and enjoyed the full breakfast one day. I was with people who grabbed coffee and a breakfast snack on one of the days.
It's easy to walk to Nordstrom's and other stores, or the Convention Center, several blocks walk to Pike's Place (fine for adults in reasonable shape), easy to grab the monorail to the Space Needle, and easy walk to the light rail to go to the Airport.
Everyone was friendly and pleasant. There is also a bar in the lobby, and wifi there as well.
Everyone in my large group enjoyed our stay at the Westin!

1 Thank MarianneJ438
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We enjoyed the location since we were able to walk to all major sites! Our stay was only 2 nights before we embarked on a cruise to Alaska. Although the hotel appears to be family friendly, it caters more to conference/convention visitors. The public areas including the lounges were 2-3 deep with loud convention guests. The front desk personnel, very friendly and accommodating....the Bar staff, not very warm. They recently opened a new burger restaurant in the lobby that is worth a visit!

Room Tip: Top floors will give you best view of city.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple