“Mysterious Room Service”

The Westin Seattle
Ranked #42 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I and my family stayed from August 21to 22 as members of Meitesu-Kanko Panorama Tour. We checked in late on the first day and didn’t know where to eat out, so we decided to order room service. “In-room Dining Menu” told me to dial “Service Express” when necessary, so I pushed the “Service Express” button on the push-button telephone in my guest room. The first person who got it said “I’m sorry I cannot help you with room service.” So I hung up and re-dialed “Service Express,” saying “Where should I call if I need room service?” To my surprise, the second person (different person) who got my call said “I’m at your service, sir.” Why two persons from the same section said different things? Is that because my English pronunciation was too bad? But the delivery was quick and the dishes were extremely good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank KiwiWays
Write a ReviewReviews (2,775)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

the Westin Seattle is very well located for those who shop within the downtown business core. Every room has a magnificent view (from the 5th floor and higher), I personally enjoy the view towards Bainbridge Island. The Pike Street Market which is a short stroll away is a pleasant way to spend the afternoon, be certain to stop by and watch the flying fish. oh yes, the heavenly towels and robes are very comforting at the Westin. The Westin typically offers shoppers' bargains during the winter months with $100 vouchers at a nearby mall

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We love staying at the Westin anywhere as we know the beds will be wonderful. We had a great room on the 34th floor, only downside was it was a room for the disabled which meant food delivery people were ringing the doorbell thing outside our door which scared the crap out of me as I thought our building was on fire as it made the fire alarm thing ring and a light blink - and we were right outside of the ice machine dispenser, which meant we could hear every time somebody collected ice.

Other than all of that, the location was great and we walked everywhere, took the lightrail easily back and forth to the airport.

Room Tip: No disability rooms or rooms near ice machines.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent two weekend nights at the Westin using Starpoints. We were "upgraded" to an SPG floor, but didn't notice any unusual perks. If there are any, it would be good for the reception person to let us know so we can appreciate them! The room was spacious, and the bed was great, as usual for the Westin (and Starwood properties in general). The bathroom was tiny but functional and in good condition. It seems that across the board, Starwood hotels do NOT provide free wifi in the rooms, and this hotel is no exception, so we relied on our smartphones, which had good coverage in the room. Be sure to allow plenty of time for the elevators - when it's busy, it can take a long time until one arrives. The hotel is within easy walking distance of lots of restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stay at Westins a lot for work so I decided to try one on vacation. It's an older property but decent facilities all around. It just needs a super cleaning crew for a few days. Every light bulb seems to be covered in dust and cobwebs, including the bathrooms. The towels were grey (formerly white) and threadbare. Hotels should change towels every so often and they need to do this here. One of our pillows smelled of....well let's just say we noticed the second we got into bed. I realize that hotel reuse shampoo bottles (which I support to have a smaller carbon footprint), however, when they're covered in dark green gunk, you need to replace them! We used our own btw, but it was gross to see them in the shower and sink. Elevators are slow and about 1/3 of the bulbs in the panel didn't work. The pool area is nice but again, needs a thorough cleaning. All of this would lead me to rate this as a 3 star not a 4. Staff seems like they want to do better but are held back by cheap or neglectful management. Location is as good as it gets though.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Travellerwithakid
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed for Blue Jays game and absolutely enjoyed it.

Wi-fi: not complimentary in room, but in lobby

Room: we got higher floor with ocean view! Loved heavenly bed and heavenly shower. Room was large enough for traditional room but comfortable. We found some hair in bathroom, but we didn't care that much.

Restaurant: we did not try a restaurant in hotel, but we tried in room dining. It was ok for late snack but we did not understand they charge 18% service fee, $4.50 delivery fee AND fine print says "these are not tips for employees".... How much are we expected to pay additional? Anyway, we will never order room service, just stop being lazy and go down the restaurant:) breakfast was fantastic though!

Staff: bell mans were very helpful and friendly. Front desk staff needs to be more knowledgeable about what they are going... Housekeeping staff was charming and did great job.

Location: greatest location in Seattle in my opinion. 30 sec walk to west lake centre to get on trains or buses!

Parking: fair price as Westin. If you choose self parking, you have to park in separate building and quite far. Better not drive when you come to seattle.

We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jojo1015
Reviewed August 20, 2013

What a great hotel. Excellent location and great service. Rooms were large with great beds. Only drawback is that there is only one restaurant in the hotel, but since it is located downtown there are tons of restaurants nearby. Great hotel and highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013