“Watch your bill for extra charges”
Review of The Westin Seattle

The Westin Seattle
Ranked #46 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay and found that our room was nice and quiet with comfy beds. However, despite the fact that we had booked the breakfast package for 2 guests, we received only one breakfast coupon. When I asked about this at the front desk, they seemed annoyed, but gave me another one, but I later found that they had charged my account for breakfast! I telephoned and they refunded the breakfast charge, but I was still a little annoyed to have to bother so much with it -- the whole reason I booked the breakfast package was to not have to think about it on the morning of check-out.

They offer a little gift to kids on check-in, which I thought was a nice touch. My child enjoyed the colored pencils and postcards to color in. (It also had a hat and a little carrying bag.)

Definitely don't count on the kid amenities, though - we asked for a step stool at checkin, which the website says is available, but they were already all taken and we didn't get one. This wasn't a huge deal, but I imagine it would be a big problem for families who are counting on being able to use a more important item like a crib.

The location was excellent, very near the monorail that goes to Seattle Center.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Westin Seattle

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed at the Westin for two nights for a quick weekend getaway. It was a really busy weekend with UFC in town, Christmas parties and a convention. I found the staff to be very pleasant at check-in, they worked hard to find a room we would like. The hotel lobby was great, good service and a perfect place to chill out and people watch.

The room itself was nicely appointed, comfortable, large and the bed was amazing! Super quiet and I had a great sleep both nights. The location can't be beat, you can walk everywhere, which is the same as most places downtown.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chels74
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very conveniently located near to the Westlake station. From the airport, you can take the light rail for $2.75 and walk about 5-8 minutes to the hotel. It’ll take about 40 minutes on the light rail. If you like to shop, there is a plenty of shopping opportunities nearby. Pike’s market is about 10-15 minutes walk. From Westlake station, you can also take the monorail ($2.75 each way-cash only) to the Space Needle or Chihuly Museum or the Jimmy Hendrix museum. All these attractions are all within walking distance to one another.

I would rate this hotel a solid 4 star Westin. The room size is very typical of most other chain hotels. The location is prime. We’d definitely be back when we return to Seattle.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Guinevere and R... L
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Westin Seattle is located in a fabulous location. It's a 5 minute walk to the Pike Place and there are a ton of great restaurants in the area. The only issue I had was with the rude concierge. I went up to them to ask for directions and the concierge was staring at his cell phone. I stood there for about a minute hoping he'd look up and notice me but he didn't so I had to say "excuse me?" to distract him from his cell phone. He also made snide comments at something I said. anyways, I brought up the issue to the front desk and they offered me a complimentary bottle of wine which was much appreciated. I also thought the rooms were old (atleast the one assigned to me). I complained about the water pressure in my shower and apparently someone came and took a look at it and left a note saying that I should turn the handle to turn on the shower! DOH! Like I didn't know that already. The pressure was still the same and I wasn't offered a change in room. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
GuestRelationsMgrTWS, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the rude service you experienced from one of our concierges. It is unacceptable. We installed new shower heads last year, similar to a rain shower head, which has a different feel. Regardless, our response to your concern should have been informative and further assistance offered. We will review your concerns with the leaders in the areas involved so we may improve our service. Please contact us at bernie.ward@westin.com if you would like to provide further details. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide accommodations and regain your confidence. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is an excellent value for a weekend sports trip with the boys in Seattle and have booked it again for this winter. It is quite well situated from the stadia (maybe 25mi walk) and right in downtown for convenience. The beds are great as usual, and there is a good burger bar if you don't want to venture out. Throw in a nice view and the friendly staff, and this is a predictable winner.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the water.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pengdio
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This visit to Seattle I chose to stay at the Westin for its downtown location and ease of transit from the airport. The walk to the hotel from the Central Link light rail Westlake train station was less than 5 minutes and my arrival at the hotel shortly before midnight on a rainy Sunday night was uneventful (I was traveling alone). There was only one person checking in before me, so my checkin went quickly. The train is a terrific way to get from the airport to downtown Seattle, at $2.75 for a one-way trip on a Sunday night.

The room I had reserved on the Westin website was sold out, but the front desk agent very thoughtfully upgraded me to a one bedroom suite on the 47th floor, number 4730. The suite was clean and modern, with a lot of space to spread out and a separate shower and tub. The robe was an especially welcome site given the damp Seattle weather. Internet access worked without any problems, the room darkened quite nicely, and the separate living room versus bedroom temperature controls worked well. My room was on the opposite site of the building from the elevators, so I was not disturbed by the "ding" of the elevators at night. Terrific views of the Space Needle and Puget Sound from the room. Good desk work area, but I found myself sitting on the couch to work, too.

I did not experience any delays with the elevators as mentioned by other reviewers, but this could have been due to the times of day when I was using them. Federal Express is located in the building on the ground floor of the hotel, and coffee service at the Starbucks was quick. Dinner at the Dahlia Lounge (perhaps a 2 minute walk away) was good (I had the morel mushroom tart appetizer and salmon entree, plus french fries for a carb fix).

Room Tip: For space to spread out and unobstructed views of Puget Sound and the Space Needle, ask for suite 47...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We arrived and were greeted by nice valet guys. I was a bit disappointed however that I did not get a view of the Space Needle as I thought I would. I did pay for a king suit with city view. They did not promise it to me so I can't complain that much. The room was large and the bed soft. The view was nice from the 30th floor. They treated our Min Pin (Max) with love. The concierge (Louise) was great. She was so patient, kind and tolerant of our in decisions and quick to help us when we finally made a decision. She was able to score us a window seat at the Space Needle with less than one days notice. She loved Max as everyone usually does and took pictures of him with her cell phone to share. We love anyone that loves our Max. Thanks to Louise our stay was even better.

We did however notice a large population of homeless people in the downtown area. It's not the fault of the hotel though, just know this before you stay. We felt safe however walking around at night because they did not bother us. Some asked for money or food in the mornings.

The valet was exceptional and tolerant of us running to the car for this and that because we forgot something. They were also full of information of places to see and things to do. Upon returning from a walk one day with Max, all of the valet men in black shirts were lined up standing shoulder to shoulder waiting for a guest to arrive. Max went and smelled all of them and then posted up a position in front of them as though he was their Captain. It was the cutest thing and the valet men just smiled.

We received points for refusing housekeeping during our stay. We try to do our part and conserve water. We use our towels for a week at home, so why not in a hotel. They gave us four towels for two anyway, so no point to get more daily. We also know how to make our own bed and clean up behind ourselves. They do provide both trash and recycling cans in the room. Not hard to clean up.

Thank you Westin!!

Room Tip: Request North Tower for Space Needle views from a high floor upon check in.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple