“Exceptional Staff”

Ranked #24 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Brandon, Mississippi
“Exceptional Staff”
Reviewed October 10, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Sorrento the night before leaving on and after returning from a cruise. So we got to see the hotel on a Friday and Saturday night a week apart.

The staff was wonderful. When we arrived, they got our name from the luggage tags and were already getting us checked in before we even came in the hotel. The concierge was helpful in arranging scheduling the complementary town car service to the pier and area restaurants for us, as well as the dock for our cruise departure. They also picked us up when we returned.

The hotel restaurant was good, though not exceptional. We had breakfast in the restaurant one morning and room service the other. Service was friendly.

We were subject to a Sweet 16 party our 1st night in the hotel. We complained about the noise and when we returned for our 2nd night the next weekend, we were upgraded. We appreciated the gesture, however that weekend, a Bat Mitzvah was taking place. Also a very noisy occasion. So 2 young ladies enjoyed their big nights, while we did not.

The hotel is lovely. The staff exceptional. Street noise is not a problem. Parties on the 7th floor - big problem. Great location - close enough to everything without being too close. The complementry car service is a big plus.

• Liked — small boutique style
  • Disliked — noise from parties in the pent house
  • Tips/Secrets — ask if there is an event in the pent house - if so get a room on a low floor
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Prefer1stClass

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Brush Prairie, Washington
Reviewed October 9, 2006

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Sorrento Hotel after reading other reviews but I was able to book a free night there with credit card reward points and that made it more appealing than surrounding properties. Yes, it is an old fashioned hotel with a tiny elevator and older rooms. However they have been appointed beautifully with luxury linens, coffee makers, TV and stereo, wonderful robes, lots of niceties etc.

The bathroom while smaller than other high end hotels was wonderfully equipped with drawer organizers, a scale, hairdryer etc. It was also brightly lit. The desk in the room was a business center with free Internet access and a fax/printer under the desk. Opening the drawer I found a complete setup with tape, paper clips, stapler etc.

The only downside was the AC system. It was a window unit that even running on high all night never seemed to rid the room of stuffiness. This was a 70 degree day in Seattle, I can't imagine what the summer is like. The windows in the room do open but the street noise was annoying. I heard one siren go by early in the morning through the closed windows.

The front desk staff was very friendly. I didn't ask much of them but found no fault. I did not try the car service. I parked on the street since it was a Saturday night and avoided the valet parking fee. Room service came quickly and was delicious.

I went to the Fireside Room to listen to a live jazz trio. This would have been more delightful if there were more servers. Service was VERY slow. The real mood killer (and this isn't the hotel's fault) was the 10 year old boy sitting in front of me with his parents who were allowing him to entertain himself by taking 30+ photos with a flash digital camera. In a dimly lit room, this was very hard on the eyes.

Overall I enjoyed The Sorrento. It reminded me of the Algonquin Hotel in New York City with it's clean and freshly painted but original interior.

• Liked — Room amenities
  • Disliked — AC unit
  • Tips/Secrets — Park on the street Saurday evening - Sunday for free. Lots of room since the medical offices are closed.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
6 Thank hipmamatravels
Norway
Reviewed October 5, 2006

This is a wonderful hotel on a hillside minutes from the city centre. With a friendly and helpful staff this hotels bears every mark of being well run and maintained throughout. My room was a twin with a comfortable bed made up with three options of pillows and a down comforter, a wonderful bathroom, comfortable chairs and a desk where you could. work. It is a small business centre in itself, with printer/scanner and a drawer containing stapler, scissors, paper clips etc. Good lighting all around. Complimentary press coffee in the room. Reception and adjoining Fireside Room has beaautiful dark wooden panel and comfortable furniture, there is pleasant live entertainment most evenings. Hunt Club restaurant never really was my favourite in Seattle. It is OK for breakfast but for dinner I strongly recommend going somewhere else. The Metropolitan Grill downtown is excellent, serving great steaks in an informal atposphere.

• Liked — The room and the atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank PFP
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I surprised my husband with an in-town getaway at the Sorrento for our anniversary. Although our room was cozy and our meal at the Hunt Club was delicious, I will likely never return because of what I learned after checking out. My sister and a friend each called the hotel to have a bottle of champagne sent to our room. They never arrived. Although there WAS a bottle of champagne in the room when we arrived, it also had a card from the hotel staff, leading us to believe that the hotel had provided it. We still do not know what really went wrong because we've been stonewalled. My sister, our friend, and we have not received any calls back from the hotel to explain what happened with the missing champagne. Even after writing a thoughtful letter to the hotel manager, I have had no response. It is shameful for a hotel of this caliber and expense to provide such poor customer service. It should be a common event to have people send flowers, wine, etc. to hotel guests. Please note that other negative reviews of this hotel have increased in 2006. It was our experience before this visit that it was the place to go for a real treat. I no longer feel that way. Try the Mayflower Park instead...it was a total treat during the holidays. Sorry, Sorrento, you need to go back to Hospitality School.

• Liked — the comfy room
  • Disliked — the poor customer service
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank grollett
UK
Reviewed September 22, 2006

We stayed here with 2 children and overall had a good time. We all enjoyed the free car service (though be warned you can't always get a car) and the room was excellent. However the reason they offer a car service soon became clear - its not as central as you'd expect for a hotel this expensive.

All the staff were excellent - especially dealing with the serious matter of a lost teddy bear! Happily found during the search.

Breakfast wasn't that good but nothing too wrong with it but again not as good as you'd expect for the money though amazingly in this day not a buffet.

As other reviewers mention the public areas are strangely dark.

There were also very few facilities (eg swimming pool).

I would go back - I think!

• Liked — service, car
  • Disliked — dim lighting
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled with family
6 Thank ChasColq
Atlanta
Reviewed September 9, 2006

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Sorrento on Sept 6 and departed on Sept 9. The entire time we kept remarking on how helpful the staff was. We've stayed at some very nice hotels and he travels 50% for business and we both agreed the Sorrento was fantastic.

Upon checking in, the concierge came up to our room to show us the details of the room and comment on the conservative nature of the lounge/bar if we were inclined to go. I suppose we looked a little younger than their average guests (we're both in our mid-20s) and he wanted to make sure we knew what we were in for.

He made dinner reservations for us and arranged for the towncar to take us there and back. While at dinner, Jerry - the incredible concierge, called in and sent complimentary crab cakes to our table.

They never seemed put out that we requested towncar service several times a day. All the valet staff were extremely courteous and helpful - not to mention pleasant to look at :)

My meal from the Hunt Club (via room service) was mediocre, but I wan't very hungry and I doubt that their tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich are the house specialty. Breakfast in the lounge was fantastic and I also liked the real in room coffee grounds and press.

There is a definite musky odor in the hallways, but I think this could be fixed by a good Febrezing. The room did not have the same musky odor.

Regarding a previous reviewer's comments about the lack of natural light - is the lobby darker than other hotels? Yes. However, I think this adds ambiance and beauty, rather than detracting from this hotel. You really feel like you are in the old world and the Sorrento is the longest operating hotel in Seattle - since 1908.

I whole-heartedly recommend this hotel. My boyfriend regularly stays at the Seattle Westin and is switching his stays to the Sorrento after this week. It was less expensive than the other upscale chain hotels and there is no way you'd receive the same level of service and value for your dollar anywhere else in Seattle.

• Liked — Complimentary towncar service
  • Disliked — Musky hall odor
  • Tips/Secrets — Use travel sites to find free junior suite upgrades - I used Orbitz
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Betny_in_ATL
New York City
Reviewed September 5, 2006

Initially I was impressed when I arrived at the Sorrento Hotel and received fine service from the valet who greeted me, unloaded my bag from the taxi that brought me, and brought me up to the front desk and introduced me to the agent on the other side. From there, unfortunately, my experience deteriorated rapidly. I was underwhelmed by the agent who checked me in. I received no eye contact and felt as if I was nothing more than a bother who had interrupted what sounded like a personal phone call she had taken while I was checking in. With room key in hand, I proceeded up the tiny lobby elevator to a room on the fifth floor.

Upon entering the room, I immediately noticed a musty smell. It smelled like a cross between mold and old cigarette smoke. I called the front desk and asked for another room and I was quickly rebuked and told that "nothing else" was available and that the hotel was sold out. This, however, didn't jibe with the valet who told me how surprisingly slow the hotel had been that week. Nevertheless, I accepted the room I was in, reluctantly, as it was only for one night and I proceeded to order room service after a long day of travel.

Within twenty minutes, a smiling server brought me dinner: A bowl of soup with bread and a half sandwich. Unfortunately, I had to eat almost the entire bowl of soup before I found, what appeared to be, a dead roach (or possibly beetle) at the bottom of the bowl. Needless to say, I didn't dare touch the sandwich. I called the restaurant to report my findings and the initial person who answered the phone sounded disbelieving. That person then put the manager on who apologized and offered to send something else to the room, on the house. I declined, and he informed me that I wouldn't see a charge on my bill for that particular meal when I checked out the next day. He apologized again, promised he'd take the charge off my bill, and hung up. For the most part, despite eating insect soup, I was satisfied with the situation.

I skipped breakfast in the restaurant the next morning, checked out on my way to a meeting, and left the hotel. Three hours later, in a cab on my way to Sea-Tac, I looked at the receipt from the Sorrento Hotel. On it, I found a charge for in-room dining: $32.18. The exact cost of the meal I had the misfortune of eating the night before. For a moment, I was quite angry and pulled out my cellphone to call the hotel and give them a piece of my mind. But before I could dial the hotel's number, I started laughing about the ridiculousness of paying 32.18 for the privilege of eating roach soup at the famous Sorrento Hotel and decided to just leave well-enough alone.

My advice when staying at the Sorrento? Ask for a room renovated within the last century, don't interrupt the staff's personal phone calls, don't dare eat the food, and take what they promise with a grain of salt.

• Tips/Secrets — Don't eat the soup.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business