“Classy historic hotel”

Ranked #24 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Walla Walla, Washington
“Classy historic hotel”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The Sorrento Hotel is located one block from Virginia Mason Medical Center, 7 blocks from Harborview Medical Center, and 14 blocks from Pike Place Market. Hotel parking was $39 per night, but the lot across the street was just $24 for 12-24 hours. On-street parking was $4 per hour.

The hotel doormen and front desk staff were courteous and welcoming. Hot spiced apple cider in a samovar at the front desk was very pleasant on a cool evening. I noted a number of guests enjoying a complimentary glass of wine in the great room, just off the front hall, sitting in easy chairs near the fireplace. Behind the check-in desk was an enormous cabinet with pigeon holes for room keys and messages, like hotels in old Westerns.

This is a beautiful hotel with new carpeting and furnishings, along with historic personality. The bed and feather pillows (8!) and luxury linens/duvet were exceedingly comfortable. Thick fluffy towels, bathroom rugs and robes were a luxurious touch. We stayed in a surprisingly spacious junior suite with king bed on the southwest corner of the 5th floor, room 500. There was not a view of the water, due to downtown Seattle skyscrapers, but the sunset on a clear evening was lovely.

Our room had a refrigerator in the cabinet beneath the large flat-screen TV. In-room French-press coffee service with teacups made in Italy was a charming touch. The free WiFi connection was available in Italian or English, and was fast enough to stream Netflix.

On the hotel's lower level was a business center with computer and printer, a fitness center, and beautiful pilates studio with hardwood floor. On the 7th floor was a small ballroom with fireplace: the Penthouse. French doors opened onto an outdoor patio garden.

In summary, the Sorrento is a historic gem in Seattle's First Hill neighborhood just east of I-5. I gave it high marks for superior customer service, comfort, and being an incredible value. The Sorrento is a charming alternative to chain hotels.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank WiseKindTrue
RandallObrecht, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for the kind words. I am thrilled that you found the Sorrento to be unique and charming.We hope to see you again soon!

Sorrento Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just spent two night at the Sorrento Hotel and the service was excellent at every opportunity. We had two excellent meals at the Hunt Club and the front desk was very helpful as well. The property seemed well maintained for its age but the room/suite we stayed in had a bathroom door that wouldn't close and the bed was uncomfortable to us. We would probably stay here again in the future if it wasn't for the prohibitively expensive $39/night for parking plus taxes. Although I suppose one could come without a vehicle, the hotels not very convenient location makes it necessary to have transportation or spend a ton on cabs.

Room Tip: Quiet location, but next to a hospital so fair share of sirens throughout the night.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gpc1
RandallObrecht, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. I have shared your comments with our staff and you have made Chef Dan's day! Hope to see you again soon.

Joyce, Washington
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This is a European style hotel just up hill from the downtown core, and close to major medical centers and St. James Cathedral. It's a little funky, but very comfortable with nice French press style in room coffee service. The staff is pleasant, the location good. Parking is pricey, but that is the norm in Seattle. Our Sunday morning room service order was on the slow side, but good. It's a cozy place rather than a bustling big hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. I have shared your comments with our staff and we hope to see you again soon.

Calgary
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I booked this hotel after my usual extensive research via tripadvisor, after booking and then cancelling two other hotels. It just looked so lovely and had such excellent reviews. I have to say that on arrival I was a bit worried. The lobby looked much smaller and older than in the online pictures. We proceeded to check in and went up to our room, a queen junior suite. Now I have to state that my husband and I love old, nicely restored hotels and will always choose one over a new, modern hotel. We were dismayed when we entered our room. It was quite small, not as nice as it looked in the pictures and a very definite musty smell permeated the room. The bathroom was very small with a shower about the size of a telephone booth and no tub. We looked around for the closet and found it - in the BATHROOM! At that point I was so wishing that I had not changed my mind about staying at the Hotel Vintage Park or Hotel Andra. Just then the bellboy, Scott, arrived with our luggage and seemed aware that we were not too happy with the room. He encouraged us to call the front desk and let them know, which we did. They offered us an upgrade to a one-bedroom suite at no charge. We went to have a look at it and were much happier with that room.

The staff at this hotel are really excellent and they all get an A+ from Jackie at the front desk to Scott who was so helpful and friendly. The Concierge and other bellmen were just great throughout our stay.

Back to the hotel: It is old and the rooms have a musty smell, especially in the bathrooms which I really dislike but figure that maybe with the humidity in Seattle it's just something you live with. The one bedroom suite was really very nice, though, and had a couch, two chairs, large flat-screen TV and frig/minibar, as well as a coffee/tea area all set up with an electric kettle and French press for coffee. The bedroom had a king bed, very comfortable, high quality linens and pillows, large windows, desk, another flat-screen TV, closet and a bathroom that was on the small side with a tub, toilet and sink but it was bright and clean and had good quality towels. No fan, just a window that opens and the ever-present moldy smell.

Parking is valet only and is $39/day which we found very high, but there's really no other option here.

We had breakfast in the Hunt Club and it was not too great. Sent back the sausage which was cold and raw in the center. We had dinner there as well and it was just OK. I think Seattle has better restaurants although I'm afraid we did not find them.

We went to the 5th Avenue Theatre's production of Anything Goes and would highly recommend going if you get the chance. It was really wonderful and the theatre itself is a treat and worth seeing.

We went on the Underground tour of Seattle which was really fascinating and fun, the guide was terrific, she really made the whole tour!!

We really loved the city although we were a bit underwhelmed with the food. We had a couple of breakfasts and dinner at Hotel Vintage Park, Tulios is the name of the restaurant and it was quite good. You'll need a reservation here for dinner.

Overall we did enjoy our stay at Sorrento's very much, largely due to the efforts of the hotel employees and it is a charming old hotel.

Room Tip: Would probably only book a one-bedroom suite now that we've stayed here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest feedback. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I would love the opportunity to discuss our shortcomings with you directly.Please let me know a good time to contact you. I look forward to speaking with you.
Please know that with having a historic 100 year old building, the size of our rooms will not be as large as new construction, but most of our guests really enjoy our unique and charming room types.
Thank you again for your comments.

Woodstock
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Hotel was very nice. However the location was not ideal . The hotel is in the 900 block away from the water. Everytime you walk to the waterfront you will be walking back to hotel by way of some very steep hills, 9 of them! My husband and I like to walk so it wasn't quite so daunting as it might be to somone else. However the incline of the blocks left me breathless several times.

The hotel itself was lovely and the staff was wonderful. The lounge was very old world feeling.

Room Tip: booked through trip advisor and hotels.com to get a good price.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your honest feedback. I have shared your comments regarding our service with the staff!
I am sorry to hear that you did not care for our location. Most of our guests like being off of the noisy and busy corridor. Please know that we have a complimentary courtesy car and I am happy to make arrangements before your next visit. Hope to see you soon.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just love this place. I have stayed here and had family stay here at least a half a dozen time. It feels old wor;d and quaint to me without being in your face. LIke a very Large B & B . Rooms are comfortable and housekeeping does a great job. Love Love the Hunt Club for dining great quality comfort style food with out being pretentious ! You wont be diapointed

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the endorsement! Sincerely appreciate your kind words.