“How about a little pampering?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Sorrento

Hotel Sorrento
Ranked #25 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Redding
“How about a little pampering?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Wow. Ok, we'll first of all, I got lost trying to find the place, so make sure you have directions--your GPS will need just a little boost here. Then you pull int a turnaround that has about a 3-foot diameter and scary borders.
But then everything changes. Really. The valet/concierge makes you feel like you're part of the family, then the service at the front desk makes you feel like you're the favorite cousin. The feeling is very European, with small but well laid-out rooms with all amenities. It's cozy, warm, old, and comfortable. No question in my mind that I'll come here again, and I recommend it to you, too. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask what's available. All are comfortable, but some may fit your needs better!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RandallObrecht, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you so much for the compliments! I have passed on your kind words to the staff. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again!

Sorrento Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked The Sorrento Hotel to celebrate an anniversary and was blown away by the service and old-school charm. I reserved a junior suite and at the time of the booking, I was asked if we were celebrating anything. I mentioned we would be celebrating our anniversary and they said they would make note of it. That was an understatement!

At check-in in the beautiful wood paneled lobby, we were notified that we had been given a complimentary upgraded to the 6th floor corner suite. The room was exceptional with a wet bar, large sitting area, and separate bedroom. We were blown away by the amazing generosity. The bathroom was recently remodeled with beautiful marble tile and fixtures. The bathroom was huge and had a frosted window which brightened the room a lot during the day. The whole suite had many windows and a great view of the city from the corner sitting area.

The lobby bar was exceptional with beautiful wood paneled walls and a cozy fire in the large fire place. Also that afternoon, warm apple cider and cookies were available by the front desk.

The location was great and within walking distance of many of the downtown features. The concierge and staff helped with camps and directions to any places not within an easy walk.

Overall we had a great stay and would recommend the Sorrento. It is an older hotel, but well maintained and full of surprises and charm!

Room Tip: Corner Suites on the Upper Floors have great views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RandallObrecht, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am thrilled that we were able to make your anniversary special! Hope to see you again soon!

Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for a business convention and it was excellent. Bedroom itself wasn't overly spacious but as we had a suite there was an adjoining room with couches, TV, desk etc. Really lovely. Possibly the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, I think. There were some minor heating/cooling issues throughout the hotel when we stayed - some guests reported being unable to cool down, others being unable to warm their rooms, so not sure what was going on there. But staff made every effort to fix things and were very attentive. Downstairs restaurant/lounge is perfect for a meal or snack and a drink... relaxing fireplace and big leather chairs you can sink into really topped it off. It's a decent walk to downtown Seattle and there are those hills to contend with if you walk back, but 15 minutes of hill-walking can be a good thing after a long plane flight, right? Plus, they provide a complimentary car to get you places if you give enough advance notice. Loved it, would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 5Bilbies
RandallObrecht, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon, (we will reserve the leather chairs for you!)

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Only the name remains the same and the Sorrento in Seattle is one of my favorite boutique hotels in this charming city. Ironic given I own a Victorian home on Queen Anne, but after moving back to Tiburon, outside San Francisco and renting my Queen Anne abode, I visit frequently and love The Sorrento. Old world charm, combines with fine food in The Hunt Club. Location could be improved offset by car service to downtown or a simple hike down the hill. Amenities contribute to defining a fine hotel and The Sorrento provides them all. Staff are gracious and acommodating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Healthy94920
Thank you so much! I have passed on your kind words to the staff. Thrilled that we are your home away from home....next to your other home!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is a wonderful historic gem. While not technically in the heart of downtown it is in a great location. The hotel offers a car service in the area around the hotel so we had them drop off at the water and we walked to Pike Place, downtown shopping and then back to the hotel. Very safe and clean. What a wonderful treat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RandallObrecht, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our car service and got to see the city! Hope to see you again soon!

Tacoma, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I could only give the Sorrento one star and that was for the staff and entrance level floor (the fire side room and the Hunt club). After reading most all the reviews, and given that this place is completely bragged about and the website pictures looked great and it boasted excellence, I booked a night for my husband and I for our 5th wedding anniversary. For what I paid, I was utterly let down. The entrance and fire side room looked fantastic, the service was friendly, the room (Sorrento suit, to be exact)... shameful. Old world charm? Yes, if it were the 1950's it would probably be a treat. But when spending upward of $300 for one night (this review is all about how much they ask for what they are giving), with all of the amazing hotels in Seattle that have awesome amenities for the same price if not less, it was absolutely shameful. The elevator was kind of a hint for what was to come (though it seemed cool how old and small it was). When I opened the door to our suit the smell was the first thing that got me. Medicated bag balm and years of dust mixed with the obvious old building smell you half expect. It was nauseating. Then walking in, the decor was definitely vintage, but not in a good way (old paint old carpet dusty couch). The floor was severely slanted where the dresser with TV stood, at a definite angle and the bathroom was tiny. The bed was very low to the ground as well. These rooms are in desperate need of remodel. I have no idea why so many people gave it rave reviews. I am actually baffled by this. We bought some fragrant candles because I couldn't sleep there with the smell like that. Trust me, I am not a fussy and high maintenance lady, but when I drop some money on a nice room I expect to at least like it. Both my husband and I agreed that it would have just been better to stay at our own home, which is a small old 1905 craftsman full of thrift-ed furniture. Oh! And the walls are paper thin. If your neighbor plugs something into the wall next to you, you hear it. Walking on the floor above you sounds like stomping and since it's so close to the hospital we heard sirens all night long. So, if you don't go out to a lot of hotels and really want something special thats clean and fresh with a few amenities you may not have at your own home, DO NOT STAY HERE! Anyone reviewing this with a five star has obviously never stayed in a really nice hotel room before.
Wished I would have booked elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you are just in the area for business and get a good deal on a regular room then this might make...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank savannmarie
RandallObrecht, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. I sincerely appreciate your comments, both good and bad. If I am unaware of an issue, I am unable to resolve it. So thank you again for taking the time to submit your review.
I am truly sorry and embarrassed that you did not enjoy your stay. As you mentioned in your review, we are accustom to positive reviews and normally very proud of our rankings. I am sorry that we failed you and I would love the opportunity to discuss our specific shortcomings with you directly. Please let me a convenient time to contact you would be? I look forward to speaking with you.

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Sorrento is old world styling with lots of class, character and great personnel, outstanding service. The food in their restaurant is excellent. It's a healthly walk to shopping, Pike Place, etc. envigorating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the kind review! Hope to see you again soon!