“Not up to snuff, but great location”

The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Potomac, Maryland
“Not up to snuff, but great location”
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We stayed there pre-cruise for an excellent Priceline rate. You can't get a better location if you are going on an NCL cruise, we walked one block to the cruise terminal. The staff was friendly, and upgraded us for free to a larger room when they saw we had a family. BUT:
(1) The carpet in the hallways and elevator was dirty.
(2) The staff was incompetent. For example, our key card stopped working. The person at the front desk insisted on sending an engineer to check the door lock instead of letting us try a new key in case the old one got demagnetized. Waited 20 minutes for the engineer. Verdict: The key card was demagnetized, a new one solved the issue.
(3) Many of the rooms have beautiful water views, but others face the rail tracks and are subject to freight cars 24/7. The windows were pretty good, but you still get some noise.
(4) The staff didn't seem to have basic information about Seattle.

More generally, the hotel looked like it had seen better days. For pre-cruise and <$100, it's a decent deal. But I would have been sorely disappointed if I had paid the normal $200 plus rate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,430)
Friday Harbor, Washington, USA
Reviewed July 21, 2010

WE checked into the Edgewater and immediately was asked if you wanted an upgrade as they had booked up next to the street and the railroad tracks. We upgraded for $50 per night and was promised a large room but had to wait several hours. Went shopping and came back to a very small room on the water side. Had a balcony but the railing was so wobbley that was afraid to touch it, dangerous. Hotel is old with onlky a band-aid of an update. Staff was not friendly when asking directions. Altogether a BAD experience. Stay Away!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pat731
canada
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights, and were upgraded to a partial water view on the second night. Great beautiful location, but this hotel is definitely not for everyone. Here's the scoop:
Location:
Right on the water, close to the Seattle Art Museum. The views from the lobby are amazing, right onto the water. Unfortunately, it is right across the street from train tracks. The last train on Friday night was around midnight, and the first one Saturday morning was around 8:30. Last one Saturday night was around 6 p.m. A 5 minute walk to the aquarium along the water, where you can get some yummy ice cream and gift shops. There's also an amusement center with games and a carousel for the kids. Definitely take the elevator just a block or so walk away on the same side of the street up to the level of pike market. From there, it literally is a few minute walk away. On the way there, a World Market is a great place to get cheap snacks/drinks. $0.79 for a litre of water versus $3.29 along the waters. They sell beer and wine as well, with other house hold knick knacks.
Hotel:
As you approach the entrance, you're greeted by an amazing outdoor fireplace and water fountain. Great views from the lobby Floor to ceiling windows looking over the water. It's definitely has a unique decor. Fancy 'Alaskan' decorations. I wouldn't call it tacky (as others have), I quite liked it. This hotel has been awarded the 4 diamond rating from AAA 4 years in a row (according to the plaques on the wall). Great seating area in the lobby, a couple of fireplaces. Parking (valet) is $33 plus tax ($40 total) per night. That's standard for all downtown Seattle hotels (we stayed at the Westin once and it was $40 as well). After reading reviews, we parked across the street in a parkade. It's where all the cruise ship passengers park their cars. Only $20 per day. Safe and secure in my opinion. It closes at 11 p.m. and no in and out privileges. There's an attendant until it closes then the doors shut.
Check-In
Greeted warmly by a cheerful lady. No problems, and she upgraded us for the second night.
Room City View
As per previous reviewers, no matter what floor you're on, request a higher numbered room. For example, 238 is further away from the street (and the noise) than 211. Our room number was in the 30's so we were kind of in the middle. We could see the Space Needle and part of the harbour. Traffic noise was busy Friday as lots of people were in waiting to board the cruise ship the next day. The train wasn't too bad with the windows closed, but it does cause a low hum. Much louder when the train blows its whistle. I wasn't too bothered by it, but I can see how others might be. The room was on the smaller side, but comfortable. Nice flat screen tv. The bathroom was nice, yet small as well. I didn't mind it, but can see others wanting a bigger one. Lovely rain shower head, granite tiles in the shower. Good a/c. Each room has a gas fireplace, nice touch. The room was definitely decorated nicely, like a lodge. A fully stocked fridge, but no safe! You can give valuables to the front desk. Some parts of the room was squeaky, so not sure how the people below us felt.
Room Water View
The next night we were upgraded to a partial water view. Wow, what a difference. The rooms were much bigger. There was also a bear that acted like a foot stool. The patio was nice, 2 patio chairs and a table. We looked onto the cruise ship docks. A cruise ship was docked, so it obscured part of the view. But, we could still see out onto the water fairly well. Wow, nice, very nice. You could hear the water. Once the cruise ship left (at 4 p.m.) the view turned out nicer. We sat out on the patio and soaked in the view. Definitely can't be beat, I can only imagine what the full water view is like. Being on a lower floor, we could hear at times the people above us, as well as the bathroom. It really wasn't that bad, but I can see how it might bother some.
Amenities
No pool. Business center on the second floor with 2 computers with free internet. A lounge and a restaurant with gorgeous views. Didn't try the food, but smelled good. There is a gift shop on site. There's a free shuttle that will take you I believe anywhere within a mile or two.
Overall
I would recommend this hotel based on the excellent staff and location. If you're a light sleeper, then I'm not so sure unless you have a room furthest away from the street. The rooms are good (even the city view). We were lucky to have been upgraded. City view is 3.5/5 but partial water is definitely 4/5.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wanderlost16
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We just stayed 2 nights at this hotel. It was so fun being on the waterfront side, watching all the activity in the Bay and the cruise ships...beware rooms 264 and 266, they are over the bar area of the hotel and they have bands on Friday and Saturday night...LOUD does not describe what it does in your room. They do stop at midnight, but if you are trying to sleep before that..you wont! No cups in the bathrooms for rinsing your mouth or drinking the tap water....view is amazing at night from the lounge/restaurant...service in lounge area very slow...pretty bad...BUT, I would go back here knowing what to ask for now!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 11, 2010

The hotel can get pretty pricey we originally planned to stay at the room with a city view but we decided to upgrade (sorry I can't remember how the upgrade was) but I assure you it was the best money ever spent. We got a room with the water view and it was amazing!!! we used the tub a lot cause it just seemed so cozy and romantic. :) Next time we visit seattle we will sure stay here again :)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2010

To be honest when I first walked in the room, I though of this place being a Motel 6 with a view, but I think I just didn't get it & now I do. This place has spectacular views & I don't care what anyone says, after a long day of touring, there is absolutely no better room I would want to walk into when it was time to settle down. Sure there are better hotels in the heart of the city with real 4 star amenities, but NO ONE will beat the view. It is so relaxing. The rooms are small and as someone said, kinda tacky looking. The bed is comfortable but soft. The bathroom doesn't seem to match the design of the room, but who cares! It's still nice. The staff is good but for some reason, the male staff seem more aloof. Weird but true. Room service for breakfast was expensive and the food was lukewarm. However, the Six Seven restaurant was nice. Now typically, that is not my type of dining, but three of us ordered something different and we all loved the food. The staff was accomodating and the view and decor in the restaurant was spectacular. I will add this, if you're not staying on the oceanview side, then stay at the Marriott up the street because its not worth it, with all things being considered. Everything that you need to do is within walking distance. If you're going to Pike Street, there is an elevator up the street that will assist you in getting up the deadly uphill climbs. There is a hotel shuttle that is free that we also take you and pick you up within the free zone & must of what a tourist may do is within the free zones or walking distance from where you would be dropped off. The Victoria Clipper, the aquarium, and tons of other things to do are right up the street. It truly is in a great location. At night I just opened the windows and watched all the shipping boats, ferries, and cruise ships come in and out of port. I would stay again & definitely recommend the hotel to others. One strange thing, but it was not a negative thing, the cleaning people are obsessed with cleaning the room. I have never seen anyone so eager to clean the room. It is as if they get reprimanded even if you tell them you don't want your room cleaned. Strange. Also, contrary to other reviewers, we didn't hear much noise from the surrounding rooms. A child upstairs would tumble and jump until like 8 pm, but after that, not a peep was heard. Who knows, maybe we were the loudest. FYI, instead of paying a lot for the tour cruises, take the round trip ferry rides for under $7/person to get in a nice sightseeing cruise of the puget sound. Booked through Travelocity which allows you to select the ocean view. Rooms were like $149 or so a night. Maybe less, I can't remember but definitely not more. Who is paying $300/night?

• Stayed February 2010
CALIFORNIA
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I truly loved staying at this hotel because the view was really incredible!!!!!!! I felt like I was in a wooden cabin and it was just really comfortable for me and my family. The only thing i would have to mention is that it is a little expensive for my taste but it was really worth it :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family