“great hotel, with some possible improvements”

The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #38 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed December 1, 2012

the room was fantastic extremely lovely- loved fireplace! check in was a breeze and staff at the reception was helpful. really like the big bottles of soap/shampoo in the bathroom. perhaps an improvement could be to include hand soap, cos our bathroom did not have any and maybe bedroom slippers :) my only gripe about the room is that the doors are not sound proof. every morning i was awaken by someone delivery room service and saying 'ROOM SERVICE!', to my neighbors room.

service at the bar area was dismal though. we waited more than 15 minutes for someone to attend to us, another 15 for someone to take our order and another 15 for our food (a mini bagel w lox) to arrive. this happened on a sunday at noon- the bar wasn't even totally full so am kind of appalled at the slow service. would be good if staff could be more attentive

complimentary shuttle to most places within a 1 mile radius is provided every hour. this was a really useful!! think it might be helpful if the frequency can be increased during the colder months cos once we missed a shuttle- we either have to wait another hour or walk in the biting cold.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nelstalways
Troy B, Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear nelstalways,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I was not happy to see that you experienced slow and unprofessional service in the lounge. I am happy to say that we recently hired some great additions and can assure you that the service level has increased. Interestingly enough, we are in the process of changing out all of our guest room entrance doors with better soundproofing and door swipes. We should have all rooms coompleted in the next few months. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,973)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Even though I live in Seattle, I have stayed at this hotel twice. I spent both nights after having too much fun with friends :)

The bar is very cool and cozy. It's facing the Sound and on the Sound!

Staff were really friendly and hotel has been consistenly clean on both night I stay here.

Overall, it's one of the best hotels I have stayed in Seattle.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Sound are always an excellent choice!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Saut S,

We are very honored to be considered one of the "best hotels in Seattle". Not only do we have a fantastic location, we have the best teamplayers in Seattle. 67 Has a great Happy Hour with some really affordable and delicious appertizers and concoctions. We truly look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

When I booked this place, I thought it would be hit or miss because of the reviews--could've been cheesy, over-the-top lodge decor w/ holiday inn style breakfast or a tasteful, comfortable place to stay in November in Seattle. Turned out to be the latter.

The rooms were great--a very comfy king size bed with a big window looking out on Port of Seattle and Bainbridge Island. Nice gas fireplace and sitting area. And the bathroom was awesome--a big glass shower with claw foot tub and sliding doors that opened so you could be in the bath and see both the harbor and your TV. That's livin' jack.

The bar is quite the scene at night, but I think there was a senior prom or something going on one night, which was lame. And breakfast in the restaurant was pretty darn good.

My only complaint was the valet out front. The only draw back being on the water in Seattle is that if you're not going to Elliot's/ Ivars or Pike's Place, its a cab ride and the group of guys valeting were total luggage. They just didn't give a damn, which made leaving the hotel for, say, dinner a much longer ordeal than necessary.

Room Tip: Get a suite on the water side. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisSherminator

Dear ChrisSherminator,

We thank you for your kind comments. We are very proud of our decor and location. The claw-footed tubs are so relaxing. I truly apologize for the lack of service you recieved from our valet staff. I can assure you that this will be addressed and you will see a change on your next stay. Please accept my apologies.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I wanted to take my adult son on a great Thanksgiving long weekend and spent more than I usually do to stay at the Edgewater. I must say I think it was totally worth it!! I told son that we both need to find someone to love and bring them back here cause it would be an incredible place to stay if one were in love. Our room (244) overlooked the water
and you could open the slider and lean on the railing. There are mugs in the giftshop picturing the Beatles fishing out of one of the rooms!!

The sea gulls fly around outside your window and the duckies do their thing and you occasionally see a ferry boat or big sport boat out on the water. Sounds of the harbor are distant and add to the ambience.

From our room you could see the lit ferris wheel. The first night we were at the hotel we got in very late (almost 11) and they were very nice in the bar and let us order some OUTSTANDING fish & chips. Didn't rush us at all. GREAT views from the bar and seasonally you could eat out on their deck.

The room had a charming functional gas fireplace. We loved the beautiful (though small) bathroom. We both would have liked to have a bathtub beside the shower but its a very nice shower and the room is worth it. Both thought bathroom needs a fan.

Two comfy chairs by the fireplace but would be very very nice to have a small table for drinks and/or coffee by the fire. One can always unfold a luggage stand and put a hardcover city travel book on top and make one's own table but this is a tiny element that should be corrected in my view.

You can walk to space needle, Dale Chihuly museum next door to that and Pacific Museum after that. You can walk to many good restaurants (Anthony's I love) and
many bars and areas. Walk to the famous market area.

Parking is over-priced and only valet, 38 a day but you can take your car out as many times as you want during the day.

The staff is outstanding and gracious and not overly friendly, just genuine friendliness. My son left a cashmere cap in the lobby one day, it was found. I left my coat in the bar the last evening and it was found.

This is a place to make a wonderful memory and I'm sure my son will remember it long after I'm gone...........:)

Room Tip: We stayed in 244 but any room facing the water would be good I think. The other side would be facin...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jansjourneys

Dear jansjourneys,

WOW WOW WOW! What a wonderful review and description. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. We are very proud of the hotel and even more proud to have such a great staff. Our teamplayers are the best around and sincerely love the hotel. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Total Pacific Northwest decor and food. Rooms are fabulously cozy and warm. Bar offered tasty specials. Our third visit and each one becomes more fabulous as we discover parts of Seattle that deserve re-exploration.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear lmarston,

We truly appreciate your comments and your many stays with us. We look forward to your fourth visit. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can assist with your reservations.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Quite an expensive hotel but nice . Wonderful staff in the restaurant.room very comfortable with every amenity. I stayed 2 nights over thanksgiving and it was very busy . Food a bit too fancy for my taste but very tasty and well presented . Very good wine list and staff were clued up on the wines . But on getting my bill I had been charged for valet parking for 2 days . I just noticed it on time before I paid . No apology from the reception guy . I think it was $72 . Quite expensive . Apart from that I would recommend the Edgewater.

Room Tip: If money is no object then choose a sea view room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Don C

Dear Don C,

Thank you for your kind comments. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed 67. I wanted to check to make sure your billing was corrected. Please contact me so I can resolve any outstanding charges.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Bottom line, if the water and mountain views and eclectic lodge experience are more important to you than a perfect sleeping experience, it is absolutely worth the quirks of the hotel. I went in to see a waterfront room at the Inn at the Market and it overlooks a busy highway- and then there is the water with a lot of indistrial cranes in the background. I would rather stay at The Edgewater which is you and the water- like being on a cruise ship- with nothing industrial in sight if..... IMPORTANT: you ask to face WEST or you may have a waterfront room with a view of the cruise ship terminal.

I was scared to book this hotel based on bad reviews but was forced to stay there due to an error on my part with a reservation at Inn at the Market. I am glad I made that error because this was one of the more memorable experiences I have had at a hotel after travelling to over 30 countries. I will tell you fact from fiction based on reviews I have read on this site starting with things that worried me most before I arrived:

FACT: The walls are thin and you will hear your neighbors.
This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since I knew it going in, I guess I just got over it. The view was worth it!

FACT: The fireplace has a timer that beeps when it is about to turn off- which can disturb you if you care to fall asleep.
This is indeed very ignorant. Like another reviewer said, I don't need to know when it is turning off. (FYI- you can press and hold the timer button until the number of hours increase beyond 1 hour and to the number of hours you desire)

FACT: You will hear the train even from the waterfront rooms.
Yes you will. It was in no way overpowering or unsettling. If you like the sound of trains it is relaxing.

FACT: The decor is eclectic and a mix of almost everything.
This is true but it did feel like a Northwest lodge that was simply eclectic. It is what makes the hotel unique. No, it doesn't look like a midtown Manhattan designer boutique hotel. Yes, this designer looks he/she selected things randomly. That gave it charm to me and unexpected visual stimulation.

FACT: You will hear the seagulls in the waterfront room.
I heard them but again, they were not obnoxious. Hopefully you are booking the waterview because you like nature. If they were outrageously loud, I would tell you- but they are not.

FACT: The Heater/Airconditioning unit is disturbingly loud.
Correct! Wow. It was so loud that it felt like it vibrated the bed. It was so loud, we couldn't even hold a conversation or hear TV with it on. It sounded like a jet engine. Forget it, we had to turn it off and use the fireplace for heat instead which actually got the room too hot. Once the room warmed up, we turned off the fireplace too- and the room stayed toasty all night. No need for either.

FACT: It is not worth it to stay here unless you have the Waterview room.
This is true. I would not stay here otherwise.

FACT: The hotel is some distance from the heart of the action in Seattle.
True. The free shuttle worked very reliably and promptly. Use it. Cabs are difficult to get in Seattle, one time I called a taxi and ELEVEN people were ahead of me. Having the shuttle is actually big plus!

The following were found to be contrary to what I read on TripAdvisor:

The hallways are NOT dark and creepy with damp, smelly, carpet.
They were actually bright and nicely decorated. HOWEVER, I was on the third floor. I went to the first floor to see if the smell was related to being on ground level, and I could smell a slight damp, musty odor. It wasn't too terrible and other people may not even notice. Let's just say, third floor was better.

The furniture in the room ISN'T exceptionally old and dated.
The room felt like a lodge. If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, this isn't it. If you want cozy lodge- this is your place! The fireplace and large wood bed posts and such really felt warm.

The bed is NOT horrible. Everyone's opinion will be different about bed comfort but it was by no means terrible.

Room Tip: Ask for a WEST facing full waterview room on top floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Troy B, Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear culture,

I couldn't have written a better review. As you mentioned in your comments, everyone has opinions and differing perceptions. I was happy to read that you debunked some of the negative reviews. We strive to be unique and different. We are very proud of our location and being the only hotel in Seattle on the water. Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.