“Unique property”

The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #40 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

This property is on a pier over the water. It is very uniquely decorated and has a nice bar/ restaurant with amazing water views. The location is not great. There is not a lot nearby, the market is about a 20 minute walk. There is also a very loud train track very close by. We were in a first floor room on the city side and did not love it. There were only heavy drapes on the window, no sheers to allow for privacy while letting in light. We had to keep the drapes closed as there was a lot of foot traffic outside our window. The rooms are small but live able for short term. While there was nothing specific wrong with the property I would not return. I might feel differently if we had a water view room.

• Stayed: September 2012
DaveCocks, General Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

We appreciate your time to post a review. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment in the actual room you had. We do have a wide variety of rooms in this 50 year old iconic hotel and apologize what you received was not to your expectation.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,889)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I feel really awful about writing a complaint about a hotel, as I have never had to do it before! Nonetheless, here was our experience..

It was my boyfriend’s birthday last weekend and I thought it would be nice to get out of the country for a bit and spend a couple of romantic days in Seattle. The hotel seemed pretty great. On our arrival, all seemed well. The location of the hotel was on a pier, and being situation on the water was great! It had a charm about it that we loved. We didn't care much about the size of the rooms (as we weren't spending much time in them during the day anyway), and the bathrooms looked fantastic. Everything seemed rather comfortable, especially the in-room fireplace (great for cuddling next to with tea that night! or so we thought..).

After a day of exploring, we came back to relax. However, little did we know that our 3rd floor room was directly under a wedding reception. I completely understand that this hotel has history and isn't "newly built", leaving little sound proofing; however, we had the worst night ever. Dancing, music, chairs being dragged, banging (as if someone was jumping on the floor), and even TALKING could all be heard over the TV (which we used to try to drown out the noise). We thought we could get away from the noise and enjoy dinner at the restaurant. Now this is also frustrating, because prior to our booking I called to ask about the restaurant, and they said we would be fine to make reservations a few hours prior to when we wanted to eat. When we called down, they said they were completely booked all night! I had no problem making reservations a few days earlier! But they made it seem like we wouldn't have a problem getting in, so I thought nothing of it! We decided to endure the noise of the reception and order room service (which turned out to be great food). Later that night, after countless attempts to relax and sleep, my boyfriend finally called the front desk and explained to them that it was 11:30 and we had put up with the noise for hours, and had been trying to sleep for a while now. I've never seen him so frustrated. Apparently, he explained that the front desk clerk was not very helpful, and offered little consolation. The front desk clerk explained that he could do nothing about it until midnight, when the reception would be over, and refused to move us to another room, even though we knew they weren’t fully booked when we proceeded to look online at the hotels availability. Working with catering and weddings, I found it hard to believe that the noise would cease at midnight.. And true enough, the reception continued on well past 12. I am not sure if they also continued to reorganize and tidy once the reception was over, but the noise of dragging chairs and footsteps was there past 1am. I have never found it so hard to sleep in a hotel before! And isn't that their sole purpose?

Continuing on with the noise, our room was near the end of the hall where I believe the cleaners’ storage room was also located. We were woken very early on Sunday morning by the cleaning staff laughing and talking right outside our room. I am not saying they can't talk, obviously.. But maybe a little respect for the people sleeping in the rooms they are standing outside of is in order; especially since this hotel claims such a high "star rating" you'd think the staff could act a bit more professional. Then again, my anger in the morning could be directly from the VERY little sleep we had?

The hotel itself, as well as most of the staff, was great! It could have been a fantastic weekend, under any other circumstances. I found it disbelieving that they were unable to offer us a room AWAY from the reception, despite our complaints of the noise. Their reaction to our frustration was dismissive. Maybe in the future there can be a way for the hotel to WARN people of the rooms they are staying in if there is going to be events that will disturb their stay. I find that other people may not have cared for the noise, and I don't think we would have either had our purpose and expectations of the trip been different. But at least with a bit of warning we could have booked another room that would have been far quieter. I am sad to say that it wasn't worth the money because our relaxing, romantic weekend was not that at all! And without any guarantee of getting a quiet room away from weddings/meetings, I doubt we will come back. What a disappointment for an otherwise nice hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa S
DaveCocks, General Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for your comments and please accept our apologies for not being able to satisfy you. Your experience provides us an opportunity to discuss and review the situation with our staff members to learn how we might have been able to accommodate you in a better manner.
Again, please accept our apologies and thank you for sharing them with us.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was a late, late check in, 11 pm. I was greeted outside the door by a warm male staff person. Having traveled across the country, worn out, I was impressed that I was immediately check in and standing in my suite within moments.

I was wowed by my suite, not just because of the water view, but also the size (it felt huge) and the decor - elegant Pacific Northwestish. There was a fireplace and comfy chairs right in front of it. The bathroom had a claw footed soaking tub and beautiful class shower. If one choose to leave the pocket doors open, you could look out onto the water.

I had a delicious breakfast of eggs benedict served to me by a smiley, warm hearted waiter right on the water. I stayed for an extra cup of coffee just to savor the whole experience.

Even the elevators are artistic and elegant at the Edgewater. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: I was in a 3rd floor suite.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

It sounds like you had a great time and we look forward to your return and hopefully in the near future!

Thank you!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Beautiful view of the Bay while dining (has outside dining as well); staff was very helpful and professional; Food was terrific; had the salmon & Mussels and there were perfectly prepared. Inside decor was very impressive. Would definately go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Our Six Seven Restaurant is a favorite by locals and has been awarded numerous accolades. Our pricing matches similar restaurants in the market place that offer the same caliber of food, beverage and entertainment. We are proud to say Six Seven is not your typical hotel style restaurant or lounge. Who wants to eat in a typical hotel restaurant?????

Thank you for your posting.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

A great property. The room was waterfront and a beautiful view. The fireplace made the room cozy along with the "Lodge" deor. Food in the restaurant as well as the staff was excellent. The shuttle to to football game was a great help and our driver was friendly. Definately would go back.

Room Tip: Did not see a swimming pool or spa
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

This is a great time of year in Seattle and glad to hear your enjoyed yourself.

Go Seahawks!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The location of this hotel is as good as it gets in Seattle. Very close to Pike Market, the aquarium, and of course, right on the waterfront. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and we had great service. We weren't too impressed with the decorating style of the rooms- very "Western" style, and we prefer a more modern look. However, it was overall a very positive experience. Highly recommend.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I think it is fair to say that we are not your typical boring box hotel where you can't tell if you are in New York or Anchorage Alaska. We are different in our design and style and very proud of it.
Sounds like you did enjoy yourself and we look for ward to your return.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Edgewater in Seattle for three nights about a month ago. We selected this hotel based on the location and previous reviews. When we arrived, our check-in process went very smoothly. The staff is exceptionally welcoming; everyone smiles and appears to really enjoy being there! Our room was a bit on the small side, but it did have a small patio with adirondack chairs, which was a surprise to me. We had amazing views of the downtown skyline as well as the bay. Luckily, it was clear and we could also see Mount Ranier. Unfortunately, the smell of the nearby piers wafted into our room (smelled of gasoline) and gave me a slight headache. The rooms were very nice, but the bathroom was amazing. The stonework in the shower was impressive and made my husband want to do that to our bathroom at home! One downside about the room was that the light above the shower kept going out, so it was a little dark.

Throughout our stay we utilized several services including the workout facilities, shuttle services, and restaurant. The exercise room is small with a couple treadmills and ellipticals. Also, the view is a little unpleasant. The shuttle services were great - at no cost we were able to get a ride to Pioneer Square and walk back. The restaurant and bar was also very nice, but it was a little spendy. One evening, my husband and I played Scrabble in the lobby while enjoying hot drinks watching the sunset over the bay. This was very nice and a memorable part of our trip.

A few criticisms I have is that the cost of WiFi is $10 for each device! We opted not to use this service due to the cost. Instead, we went down the street to Starbucks and used the free WiFi. Lastly, the cost of parking is quite expensive.

Overall, it was a very positive experience. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

We appreciate the time you took to post your review and thank you for giving our staff the high marks as you did. They are a great group of people that love what they do.
As noted in previous reviews, all downtown hotels charge for parking and we are on the lower end of the spectrum. The option of self parking across the street does work but they do not allow in and out privileges so that should be kept in mind when seeking alternatives to our Valet services.