“Great shower & bath products! Didn't love the location.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel

The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #38 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
New York City, New York
“Great shower & bath products! Didn't love the location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

I stayed at the Edgewater for the weekend on a business trip. I got the room for $99/night on Priceline. For $99 in Seattle...it is hard to say anything bad about the place.

The valet parking is $31.89/night with in and out privileges. The guys were pretty quick. There is a nice fireplace and Starbucks cart while you are waiting.

The rooms and bathrooms are very roomy. The best thing about the hotels are the showers (note: no bathtubs.) The rain showers are terrific. The bath products are huge, brightly colored and smell great. I would certainly rate them in my top 10 of "hotel bath amenities." There is lots of counter space in the bathroom. It also includes one of the good magnifying mirrors. There is also a large closet in the bathroom with nice hangers.

The beds are firms and the linens are fine. There is a cute sitting area with two comfy chairs and a fireplace. The balcony is small, but cute.

The front of the hotel does face a highway and a train track. The train is quite loud. If you are a light sleeper...I recommend bringing earplugs. During the weekend i was there, it was $90/night more for a room facing the water.

The mini bar is well stocked with drinks. They also have some treats from the local area that were tasty. The cable was basic, but OK. The wireless worked fine and was $9.95/day.

The bar and restaurant in the hotel are actually quite nice. The bar is comfortable and just crowded enough...without being a nightmare. There was a Southern Rock sounding group there the first night. It seems as if this is a hot spot for weddings, and other big events. The second night the bar was pretty crowded with wedding people...but they were all nice. Note that if you are staying there on a weekend and there is a big event...valet gets really full and obviously allow for more time in getting your car.

Oddly, for such a clean looking hotel with clean rooms...the hallways stink. It seems that the third floor is where there room service kitchen or employee break area is. There are also some meeting rooms. Whatever it is...it smells funky. I asked for a quiet room and I believe it was room 349 they put me in. The door opened to face the elevators. On a weekend with a wedding and a rowdy bar...this didn't seem quiet. I asked for another room away from an elevator. I think it was room 321 that they moved me to. I quickly put my luggage in the room and had to run out to a dinner meeting. I didn't walk down the hall beyond my room. I came back late that night to find my room was LITERALLY sharing a connecting wall to another elevator. It was really loud. At midnight I was finally moved to room 315 and it was quiet. The hallways at the hotel are really long and there are different elevators. Make sure you do not get one anywhere near the elevators. Not sure if this was because I booked on Priceline???

The location of the hotel is great if you are leaving on a cruise. You are right near the cruise ship terminal. It is also a great location if you are taking one of the Ferries. Other that that...it is long walk up a big hill to get to any nearby restaurants. It is about a 10 minute walk along the water to some of the pier-touristy restaurants. It is about a 6-7 minute drive to Pike's Market. You would not want to stay at this hotel if you don't have a car or don't like driving and looking for parking. I did find that there were a lot of parking lots in downtown.

• Liked — The showers and bath products!
  • Disliked — The location at the bottom of the hill.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelgrrlnyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,402)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2007

We stayed here right before Christmas to attend a Seahawks game. We thought we would be out of the downtown fray, which was true but there were some issues.

The good:
Restaurant 6-7 is fantastic for dinner with great service. The atmosphere is very modern and chic and the view is beautiful.
Most hotel staff were friendly and helpful. A fairly long walk to Qwest field. Rooms were clean but fairly small.

The bad:
Cityside rooms are 100 yards from the train (which goes by approx. 3 times per hour) you can actually feel the vibrations.
The cityside rooms are also above the entryway and valet parking which make things pretty loud. Definitely need a waterview room unless you are a very sound sleeper. The ventilation in the room sounds like tennis shoes in a dryer. The beds were slab-like. Cleaning service entered our room even though we had a do not disturb sign out.

The surreal:
Breakfast a 6-7 at 6 am with blaring trance rave music, (literally no staff), a great continental buffet with no serving utensils. Then the music morphs into 50’s holiday music and ramps up to house bar music. Hmmmm.

• Liked — restaurant 6-7
  • Disliked — noisy trains
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank jayzilla
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2007

I'm moving to Seattle in a few months - and am staying in the area every other week or so until we move. I try to stay in a different hotel each time I visit. Two weeks ago, I spent a week in the Edgewater.

The first thing that struck me upon arriving at the hotel property is that it is on a pier - it is quite literally on the water - as in above it. Located along Seattle's vibrant, revitalized waterfront it is surrounded by active cruise terminals, ferry docks, and some very nice on-the-water seafood restaurants. My expectations were quite high upon arrival.

The valet and front desk service was excellent throughout the week. They have clearly been very choosy in staffing these areas; they are engaging, polite, and highly efficient service providers. The main lobby sets the tone for the look of the rest of the hotel: rustic elegance. The hotel seems ripped right out of a 1990 Orvis Catalog, with rough hewn wood paneling and heavy use of greens and browns and plum colors. A large open fireplace further sets the tone as you head towards the elevator.

Upon exiting the elevator, you experience the worst of the Edgewater: the hallways. They are not well lighted, somewhat dank, and seemingly two or three years past the time they should have been completely renovated. Most of the rooms extend down one very long corridor, and the ambience/architecture of the walkway is not terribly inviting. Nor does it seem all that clean, although I never saw refuse or even dirt ... it just SEEMS less-than-clean, likely due to it's worn condition.

The rooms are quite small, but well appointed. The rustic theme is most definitely continued into the rooms, and a gas fireplace occupies a fair chunk of one corner of the room. The rooms are so small the king size bed occupies a large portion of the space, with a fairly large, upholsted easy chair occupying most of the rest of the space. There are NO drawers, and no place other than a run-of-the-mill closet by the door to hang close and store your luggage.

Among the nicest features of the hotel rooms are the bathrooms. While they are scarcely larger than a cruise ship bathroom, they feature a shower and bathroom floor lined with natural stone, featuring glass and chrome trim throughout. While small, it serves to modernize the otherwise stuck-in-the-early-90's decor of the room/hotel.

The linens are of a high quality and exceptionally clean - the window coverings, carpet, and walls appeared to be in excellent repair and were very attractive. Our room had an inspiring view of the Space Needle - at night, it is spectacular.

The bar/salon and restaurant are very good. Cocktails are exceptionally well made, and service is great as well. The bar was packed every night I was there, and seemed to attract people from the city - not just folks staying in the hotel. Although I only had breakfast in the dining room, the food was very carefully prepared - hash browns were crispy on the outside and moist and flavorful inside; the fruit was delicious, and the cappucino first rate. Both the lounge/bar and dining rooms take great advantage of being ON the water, with beautiful views of Elliott Bay, and the ferries and other ships cruising by.

The wonderful restaurants of Belltown are within a very easy walk, as are the Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, and the shopping district near the convention center - and Pioneer Square and many other sites are just a few more minutes away.

I was torn between an Above Average and Average rating for this hotel. It is not cheap, and I was concerned/distracted by the dated decor and poor condition of the hallways. However, the service, views, and quaint rooms were strong enough to walk away feeling as though the money was well spent.

This is not my favorite hotel (yet) so far in Seattle, but it's in my top three now; and I wouldn't hestitate to recommend it to those who want a real waterfront feel to their hotel stay while in town.

• Liked — Waterfront location & service
  • Disliked — Dated decor
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Dave_in_Indy
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

The first impression I had of this hotel was that the location was quite nice. It was secluded and at the edge of Seattle near the water. Front desk and valet staff were friendly and service was fast. Valet service was $25 a night.

When you first step foot into the lobby, you'll notice a wood or cabin theme all around. Not really my type of hotel, but that's ok. It was different and I like places that stand out. This didn't bug me at all. It's made to look cozy with all the fireplaces and woodland theme.

When I was walking to my room, the hallway had this stench of sewage. It was unpleasant but not unbearable. I was hoping that this was only for the first night, but the smell remained after the second night.

Another thing that I didn't like was the fact that the washroom in your hotel room wasn't very soundproof. So there wasn't any privacy in the washrooms. Although I have to say I love how the washroom looked - Just the style, layout, bathtub and glass shower. They need to do something about the shutting out the noise from the washroom though. I'm an early riser and my husband likes to sleep in, so when I wake up each morning to brush my teeth and shower, it would wake him.

Another thing I enjoyed was the view. The windows in the room opened up to the very edge of the water which is nice. I enjoyed the view each morning looking at the boats pass by.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank koko269
Manchester UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2007

The hotel location right on the water is what this place is all about. Regretably, renovation work to the waterside facia, meant the comfy lounge area with its open fire's and sofa's had it's windows sheeted off (stayed early November 07). Views could however be obtained from the less cosy, modern bar area.

The hotel is in a lodge style, but has a modern trendy bar and restaurant; which despite being opposites, actually attract.

On arrival, the expense of the valet parking is eased by a large fire pit.

The service at the hotel was great, especially the concierge who knew his stuff.

We had upgraded to a waterfront room, as that was the 'whole deal' of the hotel. The room was small, or maybe was so crammed with furniture such as big lounge chairs by the fire and a small desk and chair, that it just appeared that way.

The theme was all about sitting by the cosy fireplace (gas fired log fire which was easily controlled). Great just to sit there in a robe with a glass of wine and enjoy the sea view, but not sure how the ambience would of been overlooking a car park and noisy main road, so glad we upgraded.

The bathroom was large, with walk-in stoned-tiled shower and great toiletries. Fantastic shower with water pressure to refresh the dead.

Room service was poor, food arrived over cooked and not very appetising. Additionally, the lobby areas were looking a little worn and tired, as was the room if viewed with an over critical eye.

Very enjoyable however and not too far from the main city shops, albeit a $5cab ride was ideally necessary.

Would recommend this hotel if you want a relaxing stay in a cosy room and make use of the hotel views.

• Liked — Ambience and views
  • Disliked — Small compact bedrooms
1 Thank Nick_From_Manchester
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Edgewater for 2 nights. The location was excellent and within walking distance to many things (Space Needle, Experience Music Project, Sci-Fi Museum, Pike's Place). The hotel offers a free hourly shuttle to attractions in the area but in our only attempt to use it, there wasn't enough room (it can only accomodate max. 7 people and is on a first come first serve basis).

We stayed on the fourth floor in a "city-view" room. We weren't offered an upgrade, nor did we ask for one. The room itself had a rustic feel, while the bathroom appeared to have undergone recent renovations. There was noise coming from the street (and trains do run throughout the night!) but it didn't bother us.

My only major gripe about this hotel was the $26+ a day parking fee.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — parking fees
2 Thank younglove777
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2007

We arrived late on a Thursday night at about 11pm. After a five hour flight and rental car pick-up we were hungry and wanted a glass of wine. We checked in, changed clothes and went down to the lobby area. We found out the kitchen was closed and NO food was available. SO we proceeded to the bar area. The waitress quickly informed us that it was last call and we were rushed and hurried out. Not a very nice impression at all. For the money you expect 24 hour room service at least!! Then we get into our room and realize that we overlook (room 243) the front enterance and valet. So throughout the night we were awakened by the goofing off of the valet people. In the morning it was so loud we called and complained. The bathroom lighting was dingy and dark (nice hot shower though). I went out to open the drapes to get more light in the room and was face to face with someone coming down the outside stairs. SO we had to keep the drapes shut the entire trip. DO NOT LET THEM PUT YOU IN ROOM 243!! Now some nice things, the decor is precious and very well decorated (carpet is stained in most places though). Anyway, the Edgewater sent a survey after and I complained about the same things. The Marriott right down there on the water looked so clean, new and nice that would be my choice next trip. Seallte itself was perfect - great food, people, scenery!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of services at night, noise, dingy carpet and lighting
2 Thank Always4travel