“Definitely worth the trip!”
Review of Hotel Andra

Hotel Andra
Ranked #11 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Vancouver, Canada
“Definitely worth the trip!”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

A fun girl’s weekend in Seattle was all the more enjoyable for the discovery of the Hotel Andra. My initial skepticism of yet another old hotel renovated to qualify as “hip boutique” was quickly put to rest as we were warmly welcomed and our room was well appointed and comfortable. Nightly turndown service was a nice touch that many hotels have long since discarded and much appreciated after a late afternoon snack fest left our room in some disarray.
The bathroom was the real tell for this hotel. While little can be done about bathroom size in vintage properties, the design proved to be thoughtful and, most importantly, worked well for two women traveling with the requisite amount of “stuff” that makes a gal who she is. Large mirrors and extra shelves gave us lots of space to spread out while we repaired the damage of too many cocktails in the Lola bar. I also applaud the eco-friendly approach to their hair and body products. Large glass dispensers allowed for luxurious use of these really fabulous Swedish FACE products without the bother and waste of tiny plastic bottles. The cozy robes were also much enjoyed.
The bar/restaurant was not to be missed – lively and neighbourly, no black-sheathed stick bugs, and the bartenders know how to muddle, shake and stir with style. Lola is a Tom Douglas venue and with three or four more of his outlets across the street and around the corner you don’t have to go far for great food. The breakfast at Lola was even better than cocktail hour - don’t miss the fresh made donuts, hot from the fryer, and tossed in sugar by handsome servers with a flair for anticipation.
Best of all, for gals spending at par Canadian dollars, abundant shopping was nearby and with complimentary discount cards provided by sale-savvy front desk staff we were able to maximize every retail opportunity. The gents on the door and handling valet could not have been more helpful and their great sense of humour kept us all laughing as we waited for cabs on a busy Saturday night.
A great hotel find – can’t wait to return!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank GirlOnTheRoadAgain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My wife and I recently visited Seattle over the President's day (in the US) holiday. We are Canadian (from Vancouver) but enjoy visiting our neighbour to the south periodically. It was our first visit to the Hotel Andra and we booked a "Lux" suite with a separate bedroom and pullout couch. The suite was OK in size, not large but adequate and nicely refurbished. The bathroom is a little small but totally functional. It has the "boutique hotel" feeling. The location is excellent, within walking distance of most of the downtown sites and some excellent restaurants. In fact, every meal that weekend was a "Tom Douglas" (a well known restaurateur in Seattle) event. The restaurant in the hotel is Lola while Serious Pie and Dahlia Lounge are across the street. The first night was room service by Lola & Serious Pie. Fabulous (if pricey) room service. Breakfast (both mornings) at Lola were remarkably good as well. The octopus, bacon, brussell sprout, parsnip hash (aka Tom's Big Breakfast) sounds extremely odd but tastes fantastic (serious umami factor for breakfast)! Serious Pie makes some the best pizza I've ever tried and the food/service at Dahlia Lounge was very good and accommodating to our 3 & 5 year old sons. The service at the hotel was professional but slightly less than warm and welcoming (I suspect that having our two little guys in tow was slightly off-putting for the staff given that their presence may undermine the skinny-fabulous-fashionista demographic that most boutique hotels are hoping to attract). Nonetheless, they did not seem to have any difficulty with my credit card.

My wife and I have travelled a lot and have stayed at a diverse range of hotels -- everything from 2000 sq ft presidential suites in major cities like Shanghai & San Francisco to less than stellar dives in cities with limited options (or when we were students). I appreciate hotels than understand who they are trying to serve and focus on their target clientele versus trying to please everyone and ultimately achieve mediocre/poor results. I think if you're single, travelling as a (youngish) couple or are in town on business and are looking to stay downtown at a reasonable cost (we paid USD161 plus tax) and don't need a Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons type of experience, you would be quite happy staying here. Location/restaurant options are excellent. Service and accommodations are pretty reasonable given their target clientele and the cost of the rooms. My wife & I would be happy to stay here again if we were travelling without the kids. With the kids, we would be more likely to stay here if they could stay in an adjoining room (not sure if they are available here) and if they were a little older.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Dear A-Mariner,

Thank you for you comments about your recent visit to the hotel. I must say that you experienced the best restaurants in Seattle. You can never go wrong with a Tom Douglas restaurant. I am also so sorry you may have felt that we were not as family friendly as you had hoped we would be. We actually encourage guests who are traveling with their children to stay with us. We have a large selection of family friendly television stations and pride ourselves on our knowledge of events within the city that specifically target families. I do hope that in the future when you see yourself coming to Seattle with your family you would consider the Hotel Andra again. I am hopeful you will have a wonderful family vacation.

Best Wishes,

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2011

This "small luxury" property is located close to good restaurants including Long's Vietnamese and Serious Pie. The rooms are modern and eight foot mirrors in the king suite make for interesting conversation - the upgrade from superior queen is worth it.
Despite the aesthetics, our upgrade and checkout staff were incredible rude which was unfortunate given our stay was for Valentines. For example, after getting a cold checkout my partner and I waiting outside for a valet to get our car key which was already parked up front. After five minutes of waiting in the cold, I returned to the desk and asked the clerk to call the valet - attitude, no apology for inconvenience and to add further insult to injury she hadn't called herself despite seeing us waiting. The valet was equally rude and handed me my keys with a "here" - no thank you, no do you need directions, no look forward to seeing you again.
I'd take staff friendliness over fancy toiletries any day. Chose another.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank martinej11
, General Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Dear martinej11,

Thank you for your comments about your recent trip to the Hotel Andra. I am so glad you enjoyed the amenities we offer and the upgrade to the Superia room. While all of our rooms are fantastic, I agree that the upgrade to the Superia room or Lux room is well worth it. I am also very sorry that the service you received did not meet your expectations. Our number one goal is to treat our guests to the highest level of comfort and care and we are always greatly disappointed when we do not meet this goal. I do hope you choose to stay with us again during your next visit. I can assure you your visit will be fantastic.

General Manager, Hotel Andra
port hadlock
Reviewed February 6, 2011

This is a good mid-range hotel in downtown Seattle. Modern furnishings in clean rooms are a plus. Andra promotes "free valet parking" when booking best available rate thru internet or direct with hotel. Upon check-in I was advised that parking would be +$39.00 since I booked "early rate" rather than best available. I thought the early booking rate was the best available. Apparently not so. Best available rate is actually $41.00 more than early booking. Sounds like the old doublespeak "up 10%, down 10%" flim-flam sales promo. I was totally confused and told check-in agent that this web site is misleading. The desk agent did the right thing however and agreed not to charge us the $39. We would not have taken our car if this was relatively clear. Hopefully Andra will "correct" this so others do not fall into the dilemna we had. Other than that incident, I would definetely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear Hadlock,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Hotel Andra. I was glad that the staff corrected the confusion surrounding your reservation. We offer many promotions and packages that offer a variety of services and amenities. Our hope is to design packages and promotions that allow our guests to create to the experiences they are most excited about. These may include free parking, a fantastic dinner at Lola restaurant or Assagio Restaurant, a romantic evening in our beautiful Monarch Suite, or an amazing discount on the room rate. We truly want our guests to be treated to the most amazing experiences and we believe our promotions begin that journey.

Portland, OR
Reviewed January 31, 2011

We just spent the most fantastic weekend at the Hotel Andra in downtown Seattle. We travel relatively frequently and Seattle always makes for a great romantic get-away weekend, which typically includes shopping, dining and clubbing. We've stayed in a variety of hotels in Seattle (often selected by Hotwire or Priceline because you can get some great deals using both) and while most of them have been "nice," none of them have ever just blown us out. As I wanted this weekend to be extra-special, I decided to do research and book directly thru the hotel. My final selection was a suite the Hotel Andra.

Wow! What a fantastic find. From the staff, to the decor, to the room size, it was perfection in every way. It was a front corner suite with loads of light and great views of the active neighborhood. We were not bothered by street noise, as a number of people had reported. About the only bad thing I could find was an area of common complaint in other reviews: The bathroom is small and poorly lit. We brought a floor lamp in from the living room for extra light. This is not saying that it wasn't stylish - it was quite stylish. it was also small and dark. There's not much they can do about the size (old building) but some additional light would be nice.

The service was exceptional and anything we wanted or needed was taken care of perfectly. When Lola, one of two restaurants in the hotel, was packed, we called downstairs and had a table waiting in short order. Lola was the other great find of the weekend, by the way. What a great restaurant. We had both dinner and breakfast there and both were REALLY good.

Back to the hotel. We arrived at 4pm intending to relax, go out to dinner and then head out to some clubs for the night. We didn't leave the hotel until 2pm the following afternoon. Between the fantastic suite, the great bar and two top restaurants, there was no reason to leave the building!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
whiterock british columbia
Reviewed January 23, 2011

A hip hotel, ideally situated, with good energy and containing a great restaurant, Lola.
The staff are exceptional and the rooms are tastefully appointed. However, the mattresses on the bed are third-rate...odd given the attention to detail in the rest of the property. Not a good night's sleep, which is unfortunate given the hotel's other fine qualities. Time for a mattress change!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Dear fastasflight,

Thank you for your posting the review about your recent visit to the Hotel Andra. We do have an exceptional staff and Lola is truly one of the best restaurants in Seattle. I am so glad you experienced the very best of what we have to offer. I would love to know the room you stayed in during your stay so we can check the mattress. We normally have very positive feedback about our highly comfortable mattresses so it concerns me that yours was not as comfortable as you had hoped. Please feel free to email me at jbartlett@hotelandra.com. We look forward to your next visit.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed in the hotel for 4 days during January and had a good experience.
Flexibility - I ordered a room for 5 nights and had to cancel the first night on short notice and they did that without a problem.
Location - the location is Ideal for Seattle. It is right in the middle of everything, 5 minutes walk from pike place market and very close to all means of public transport. getting there from the Airport is very easy - just 3 minutes walk from the westlake station of the link light rail (2.5$ for the entire 40 minutes journey - just a waste to take a cab). It's true that like every big city there are quite a bit of homeless around but I guess that is true for all of downtown Seattle, and in my opinion it is actually worse around pioneer square a few blocks to the south. Lola restaurant, one of Tom Douglas's (the local celebrity chef) restaurant is at the hotel and Dhalia lounge, bakery and serious pie, three of his other restaurants and bakeries are across the street, so you will never go hungry even if you don't want to leave your room.
Staff - I only had contact with them during check in and out which were fast and efficient. the bell boys/valet always smiled at you and were always very polite.
room - the room was spacious, nice, and had all the amenities you would expect to find at such a hotel. the only annoying thing is you had to pay for the WI-FI access. the exercise room was small but sufficient.
The decor of the hotel is very Nordic and the lobby is very inviting.
I also had quite a good deal reserving a long time ahead but generally speaking it's not a cheap hotel. All in all a very nice, central good hotel. I would consider staying there again in my next visit to Seattle.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business