“Good but not world-class” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Andra

Hotel Andra
Ranked #13 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
London
“Good but not world-class”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2008

Clearly a luxury hotel but surprisingly ordinary. Room modern but showing signs of wear & tear - not quality furnishings. Good location for shops and the famous tourist sites.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of luxury feeling
  • Stayed September 2008
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
localgod6911
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2008

So, I grew up in Seattle and moved away for a few years and now I am back. I always have and always will recommend Andra to friends and family when they visit as the Andra is the hippest hotel in town with the best rooms.
I most recently stayed here in March for my birthday/St. Patrick's day. We booked a one-bedroom corner suite at a screaming deal for spring in Seattle (369 a night, yes a suite for under 400 in Spring in Seattle). I LOVE THESE HOTEL ROOMS. Ample space, wonderful decor, comfy chenille blankie, two (TWO!) flat-panel televisions.
I have done similar suites at the Westin and the Fairmont, which for the price I paid there and the price of the Andra the Andra wins hands-down. Even with the bathrooms, which again, I think are totally awesome. Love the original tile on the bathroom floor, love the ample lighting in the bathroom (esp the nightlight!).
And let's talk about the Front Desk. Anyone who compliments my outfit immediately wins brownie points.

• Liked — The style. The style of this hotel is mid-centrury mod, which is totally speaking my language these days.
  • Disliked — It took a call to engineering for me to figure out how to turn on the TV. My fault, not the hotels.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2008

Every December, a group of friends and I all stay together at a hotel in downtown Seattle. This year, we broke away from the larger chains and booked a great deal at Hotel Andra. I have to say, it didn't live up to the fabulous reviews. The lobby, front desk staff, and Lola restaurant were top-notch, but the rooms were more like a three star hotel.

The bathrooms had grungy tile and worn towels with spots on them (even if they were Frette). The main "plush" chair in the room was shallow, stiff-backed, and very uncomfortable. The decorative pillows on the bed looked like they had been fished from someone's basement. I liked the bedding, but the beds were so soft that I had a backache in the morning.

Conclusion: we usually stay at the Sheraton, where we lament the crowded lobby and slow service. However, I prefer their spotless (if impersonal) rooms to Andra's uncomfortably aged rooms.

• Liked — Location, Lola (the restaurant in the lobby)
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank LauraLatte
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

We recently stayed at the Hotel Andra during a weekend getaway to Seattle, and couldn't have asked for a nicer place to stay. Aside from the convenient location, blocks away from Pike Place Market and Downtown/Belltown shopping and restaurants, this hotel is beautiful. I felt comfortable and welcome immediately with the cozy lobby and friendly staff, and right at home in our room that overlooked Fourth Ave. The hotel is a seamless mix of original 1920's details and modern decor, and the bed was so insanely comfortable we actually opted to lounge about instead of touring around the neighborhood.

This may have been the nicest lodging I've ever experienced, and I definitely hope to return on my next trip to the Emerald City.

Stayed November 2008
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

I have stayed at the Andra a few times and have always had a great experience!

The rooms are updated, clean and spacious! The staff is friendly and always helpful! The restaurant is convenient along with many other choices for food in the vacinity.

I prefer to stay at the Andra anytime I am in Seattle!

• Liked — The updated rooms.
  • Disliked — The fitness area was too small but manageable
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
North America
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2008

The title of my review basically sums up our recent stay at the Andra. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay, as we got a deep discount, but I'm left wondering how or why they are listed with Small Luxury Hotels of the World.

We had a Lux King corner suite, and the suite itself is quite spacious, and very quiet, we did have a restful sleep. Beds/linens were soft and comfortable, and they brought up extra pillows as requested. There was plenty of storage in our suite -- 2 closets and a set of drawers, plus the generously-sized night tables were a plus.

However, the sofa was disappointing -- of cheap construction, and sagging in the middle; fairly uncomfortable to sit on to watch tv. The armchair seriously needed recovering, as the edges were worn, dirty and frayed. The suite is due for an overhaul soon; we noticed chipped paint throughout, plus chipped and scratched furniture. The carpets felt a bit grimy -- there was an overall feeling that the room could have been cleaner.

The bathroom is small (I knew this going in, having read past reviews). This did not bother me much, as there were adequate shelves and storage. However, if you like soaking in the tub, forget it. The tub has a very low overflow drain, obviously designed by someone who hates baths. I'm 5'2" and not very big -- the maximum water level came up to my lower abdomen. As I reclined trying to soak, the water kept draining off, and I gave up after about 5 minutes.

Shower pressure is good and tons of hot water any time of the day. The Face Stockholm amenities are a delicious subtle white tea fragrance; however the bottles are the size of postage stamps, which seems cheap for a "luxury" hotel. The staff are happy to send up more, but it was tiring to request this on a daily basis.

The staff were mostly 20-30 somethings and very pleasant and eager to please. However, I still feel they have not achieved a "luxury" level of service. We had a simple request that we be sent a Seattle Times, v. a New York times as we like to read local news. On a daily basis we received a New York times, which to give them credit, was swiftly replaced with a Seattle Times on request, but we shouldn't have had to keep asking for 4 days in a row. Another time we asked a desk person to reconfirm a reservation (the concierge had left) and he looked at us like we handed him a dead fish.

It may seem that I'm nitpicking, but I would expect this from maybe a Motel 6 v. a "luxury" hotel. I would actually place the Andra slightly above a 3 star hotel, not at a "luxury" level. The staff for the most part, are accomodating and pleasant, and the room was ok.

We would stay again if we got the same low rate; however, we would not stay if we had to pay the high season rate of approx $480.00 -- we felt the service and room would not be worth it.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lady_World_Traveller
jackson, ms
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

Stayed here for a friend's wedding. I had high expectations going into this hotel, and I was not impressed at all after I checked in.
The rooms were very small and cramped. The bathrooms seemed small too.

I stayed at the Sheraton in Seattle the previous two nights and paid about the same price...and was far more impressed with the accommodations at the Sheraton....they had better accommodations, bigger rooms, bigger bathrooms, and everything seemed cleaner & more upscale.

During checkout I checked my bags with the hotel so I could get lunch. When I came back for my bags, nobody was able to find them. I ended up having to ask a bellboy to take me down into the basement myself so I could see if my bags were there or not.....I ended up finding them locked in some random room in the basement. So staff seemed pretty worthless that I had to find my bags that they lost themselves.

• Liked — it had a bar
  • Disliked — small cramped rooms; lost my bags; incompetent staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends