“Clean Lines, Fab Location”
Review of Hotel Andra

Hotel Andra
Ranked #10 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This was a great central hotel for such a great walking city. The lobby is lovely and the rooms are neat, modern and an excellent size. The staff are friendly and helpful as well. Lola's next door didn't have much for drink selection and was always busy for brunch so make a reservation or better yet, head over to Dhalia's across the street and get a grilled cheese and tomato soup to ease your pain. The only weird things about the rooms was the lack of base on the standup shower that meant that half the bathroom floor was soaked after you bathed, the mystery of why the closet light was always on and where the switch was and why there was no ice machine on the 5th floor. No matter, this place was super close to everything, on a lovely tree-lined block, well kept, affordable, charming and funky. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Andra

Reviewed May 4, 2014

My first trip to Seattle, Andra was a choice made due to a sell out at the regular hotel of the company. And it certainly was a great choice. When you get tired of staying in typical business hotels, standard room decor, Andra can come as a fresh breeze.

Tastefully done, the rooms are a delight. I was booked in a suite and it is charmingly done up, with a large lounge and separate king sized bedroom. The beds are comfortable, rooms noise proofed and really help the Jet lag. The wi-fi is extremely good and all your gadgets connect well. The staff is super friendly and also have the right advice for you on weather, siteseeing or just about anything. Andra has an excellent location (close to Pike place market, waterfront and plenty of great eating choices around it). Lola - the IN hotel restaurant serves great breakfast and Greek food.

Couple of things that take away that half a point for me (a) No real view from any of the rooms - there are only 10 floors and virtually all will face other buildings in downtown (b) Room Service limitations - its linked to the in-house restaurant and hence is not 24 hours. Also limited menu options for rooms service ordering.

Overall, I recently chose to come back to Andra (for a long stay) for the sheer comfort it offers and the break one needs from conventional business hotels. Note -its not cheap and competes on prices with the best out there (and why not). Highly recommended.

PS: Love the Tivoli Radio on bedside !!

Room Tip: Andra Suites are great....
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank mel-man-india
Team-Umlaut, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Mel-man-india,

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are delighted to hear that everything from out beautifully appointed rooms to our knowledgeable team was able to exceed all of your expectations.

We are thrilled to hear that we are now your choice on where to stay in Seattle. Thank you! We look forward to making our home your new home away from home.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The major reason for the bad review is that if this were a motel or cheap hotel this place would be fine. Actually that's not the case, because the last few motels have had good internet connectivity. This place did not. Not even at 1:30 in the morning. I ended up doing most of my work on the phone so I could get reception. This was my first poor experience at a hotel in Seattle. It prices the same as a luxury hotel with no luxury. There is no bathtub in the bathroom which was the size of the closet on the other side of the room. The bathroom really is small and dire. The small bathroom is entirely mirrored so you can see yourself on the toilet and shower. You need to lock the door for it to not slide open. The room service is tied to the restaurant which means there is only food available during the restaurant hours. When I first saw the powdered coffee creamer that looked like it came from the 70s, I first laughed. But as I was sitting trying to get email at a rate that rivaled dial up, I realized that this boutique hotel was nothing of the sort. In Seattle with so many wonderful hotels with spectacular views, this 10 story one doesn't even have a view on offer. I'm really shocked by the good reviews which was why I chose this property in the first place. Choose anything else.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Indiegoddess
Team-Umlaut, General Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you Indiegoddess for providing me the detailed feedback regarding your recent visit. I'm truly sorry to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations. It is only through comments such as yours that we can see our areas of strength and the areas that may need more attention. I've shared your thoughts with my team to ensure that you and future guest do not encounter the same concerns.

Our complimentary wireless network was recently updated with all new access points and increased bandwidth through out the property. We are puzzled that you could not connect as our 24 hour monitoring system did not indicate any black out areas or loss of signal strength. We contacted the technicians and although we could not replicate any connectivity issues, we we appreciate you reporting this concern in your Trip Advisor review so that we can continue to closely monitor the system.

We always take our guests suggestions and feedback into consideration when making changes to operations and policies here at Hotel Ändra. Once again, thank you for sharing yours. I do hope that we will have an opportunity to show you we can make all your stays both relaxing and enjoyable!

Warmly,

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We felt comfortable the minute we walked in this hotel. The staff at the front reception was very friendly. There is a welcoming fire in the fireplace and it was very cold and windy so we loved it. We requested a suite with a bathtub and an early arrival time of 11AM. Our room was ready when we got there. It had a big living room with a full size desk, sofa, TV 2 chairs, coffee table and ottoman. Lots of windows. The bath is tiny but it had a tub, single sink and small shelf to put your stuff. Very adequate. This hotel has an old world feeling to it, not like the big marble, brand new feel of the BIG hotels. We like this feeling. The bed was king size, good lighting, dresser and closet. 2 big windows. Everything is within walking distance from here. We walked several times to Pikes Market, it takes less that 5 minutes. It's all downhill, so coming back takes a little longer. While here we ate at Shuckers, Dahlia Lounge, Lola's and SeaStar, all excellent places.
Lola is on the premises but it's so full all the time we couldn't eat there for breakfast, we managed an early dinner. I think the staff should tell you at check-in that you need to make a reservation for any meal. We didn't think we'd need one for breakfast but there was quite a crowd waiting at all times in the lobby for all meals. We were there Wed-Fri. 3 nights.
Our prior stay in Seattle we stayed at the Alexis, which was also nice, but I liked this location better.
The Westlake station is where you get off the light rail and it's a very easy walk to the hotel. We didn't need a car. I recommend this hotel for a nice, easy stay.

Room Tip: Suite 310 has a bathtub and big living room
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Team-Umlaut, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Cindyhart,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing the wonder experience that you had with our team. We are delighted to hear that you felt welcomed as soon as you stepped into our hotel and that you were able to check into your room early and get a jump start on your vacation!

We are thrilled to hear that you took advantage of our Lux Suites. The sitting room provides welcomed extra space and the numerous windows provide ample natural light. Our central location does make it extremely convenient to be able to walk to almost anywhere you want to go in downtown. One little tip on your next visit to Seattle and staying at Hotel Ändra: when returning back from Pike Place Market if you walk along Pike street to 4th Ave and then take a left on 4th, it is level the whole way. Just in case you were a little weary from all the local sightseeing and visiting the many close attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back and making our home your new home away from home in Seattle.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I found this place through Hotels.com and so glad I did. Walking distance to great shopping, bars and restaurants. Rooms are spacious, stylish and comfortable. Service was outstanding and everyone was more than helpful. One of Tom Douglas restaurants is IN the hotel, Lola's. With several more within walking distance. I will be back Hotel Andra. Thank you.
Only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is the $39 parking, which isn't that unusual for this area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

jcentanni,

We are thrilled that you found us and that we could provide such a wonderful stay for you. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our well-appointed rooms and that out team was able to provide you outstanding service. We will make sure to pass along your kind comments!

We agree that our location lends itself well to be able to walk to countless, fantastic restaurants and bars and who can resist the superb shopping that is just within a few blocks from our hotel! It is hard to want to venture out for dinner or any meal when we have the great pleasure of Lola attached to our lobby. We feel extremely fortunate to be able to offer Lola as a dining option in the restaurant as well as for room service!

I can understand how downtown Seattle parking could be considered expensive, however we do include complimentary in and out privileges with our valet parking. We continually monitor the downtown parking rates, including similar hotels, and have chosen not to raise our parking rate over the last few years. In addition to keeping the parking rates competitive, we also create special packages that offer discounts on parking and/or include parking altogether. If you have not already, be sure to like us on FACEBOOK or follow us on TWITTER for real time news and special packages and promotions!

It was our pleasure to have you as a guest at Hotel Ändra. Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Seattle.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is an older building but appears to be very well maintained. I would recommend it. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros: very well maintained hotel. No visible flaws anywhere. Staff is friendliest I have encountered anywhere. Large room. Tv can be hooked up to iPhone if you bring a cable. Free wifi (slow). Nicest clock radio of any hotel, a tivoli, can be hooked up to iPhone for music. Location is great for walking to downtown venues.

Cons: I found the bed to be soft and it bothered my back. Possibly a problem for back pain sufferers. Bathroom is a little odd. Very attractive but shower is "open air" so it never gets warm. Toilet looks like it came from a rest stop with old style handle to flush. Floors were very creaky. I wonder what the people below us thought. No swimming pool or hot tub.

I think the pros handily outweigh the cons for this hotel. I would recommend it for all but people who are sensitive to soft beds.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Team-Umlaut, General Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dave C, it gives me and the team great pleasure reading your comments. It's good to know that the pro's outweighed the con's and that we will have future opportunities to have you be a guest at Hotel Andra!

Indeed, we recently replaced all of our mattresses, with an upscale, ultra luxury, hospitality comfort mattresses. I'm sorry to learn that it was a little soft for you. Please know that we can take care of that by inserting a special board between the mattress and box spring that will create a firmer mattress. I've made a special notation on your reservation profile so that prior to your arrival on future visits, we will have our engineering department insert the board (they were also appreciative that you noticed how well they maintain the hotel, thanks for commenting). We will make every effort to ensure a restful nights sleep.

The bathrooms were all redesigned in 2010 . We installed custom made cabinets, sinks, and shelving. I promise you that the toilets did not come from a rest stop, they are new and from a local designer show room. We replaced all piping behind the walls for the shower and sinks, however, the actual flushing system (separate from sinks / shower) is original form 1926 and does require the exposed flush valve. It's all new equipment, just an older style. We think it adds a little character.

We carefully designed the bathroom to maximize the space. The large cast iron tubs were removed and spa like showers were installed. We surrounded the shower with blue / green Italian ice tiles and finished with a clear glass separation panel. The sliding pocket doors disappear into the wall, again maximizing space. Not to worry though, if you would prefer a soaking tub, we still have rooms with tubs available. These rooms are great for families with kids, or for you to soak and relax after a long day of seeing Seattle's many attractions. The shower curtain in the tubs will also help keep the heat in too!

I'm confident that we can turn all your con's into pro's during your next stay at Hotel Ändra! Just let any of our friendly reservation team members know if you would prefer a room with a tub. We will make every effort to accommodate that request!

I very much appreciate your comment about the Tivoli radios. They are fun and although many hotels have changed over to the docking stations, we still like the look and feel of the Tivoli's. It adds a touch of elegance and just as you stated, you can still plug in your iPhone for music using the cords we provide!

Once again, Dave C., It was a pleasure having you stay at Hotel Andra! We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Seattle!

Regards,

Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at the Andra and loved it! We were in a Superior King room on the 9th floor and found it spacious enough and quiet. The modern furnishings and colours are tasteful. The bed was very comfy! I found the sink in the bathroom a little too close to the glass shower wall and was surprised there was no HD on the TV and that there was not the typical guide you find on Digital television. Other than that we were very happy and the location was perfect. As long as we can find a similar price (we took the Northern Neighbour package) we will come again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

I'm so glad to see annieo1303 that you were able to take advantage of our Northern Neighbour package! We love having our friends from the North come down and visit! Thank you for being our guest and providing our online audience helpful information.

I am excited to announce that we are near completion of installing an entirely new , free to guest Wireless Internet system, including the latest technology of access points and increased speeds. The technicians and I reviewed the signal strengths and coverage today, I'm truly impressed with the difference! Once this is completed, we are moving onto our next project which includes partnering with a new HDTV provider. Although our current provider does offer HDTV service, unfortunately they are limited on the number of channels. We want to maximize our channels and guest viewing pleasure! The first part of this project, installing all new TV's is near completion. The new channel line up will include over 100 additional new channels and I expect a similar DIGITAL TV guide will be included (I miss it when I travel too). We don't have a completion date on the new service, but you can count on our team to provide you a warm, friendly, and home away from home, experience while staying at Hotel Ändra!

If you haven't done so already, may I suggest that you join our newsletter, or like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. You will find real up to date news and information, including special announcements about upcoming package or promotions (Northern Neighbour dates) before they are announced on our website! It's just another way we like to say "Thank You" for being our guest!!

The team and I look forward to seeing you again! Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance to you!

Sincerely Your,