“Union versus Pike Tower”

Sheraton Seattle Hotel
Ranked #35 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
canada
“Union versus Pike Tower”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Please see my previous posts for more details...

Due to a recent conference, I finally got a chance to stay in the newer Union Tower. I've stayed at the Sheraton at least a half dozen times, but always in Pike Tower. I always envied the other reviewers that stated how nice the Union side was. Well, now I can say that both sides are good. Yes, the Union tower is more updated. You can definitely tell by the colour scheme and the bathroom. Because of how the new bathroom looks, there's more space allocated for towels (4 versus 2 in the Pike). Not a big deal. So, if you're always staying in the Pike Tower, don't worry, it's still good. If you want to pay a bit more for a more updated look, then go ahead. I for one will be very happy on either side.

As a follow up to my last review in which I stated the swing back on the ice room door was a bit loud, they did indeed attempt to fix it. They added foam cushions to try and soften the slamming. Still a bit loud, but better than before. I'm glad to see that the hotel actually takes guests' feedback seriously. Hats off to them.

If other people can comment on their parking experience off site,that'll be greatly appreciated. I always park at the Cheesecake Factory site for $30/night. In/out privileges with 24 hr attendant and it seems random security guards wandering around at times. There's the Washington Athletic Centre right across the street for $26/night. Just curious to see what others do. The only reason why I've always parked at Cheesecake is because the valet guys recommended it.

Check out www.gottapark.com. It's a new-ish business that teams up various parkades throughout a city. It locates the closest ones to your hotel and you get to choose. You pre-pay on-line, print out the receipt and place it on the dash. And it's usually cheaper than paying on site. The one closest to the Sheraton was a 5 minute walk (according to the computer) away for only $20/night. There was no attendant at that lot. I didn't try it as I had lots of luggage, but my friend did and had no problems with it. They stayed at the Monaco. Just food for thought. Saving upwards of $15/night on parking might be worth a shot!

As usual, a very good hotel and would recommend it.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank wanderlost16
Madalena M, Manager at Sheraton Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Sheraton Seattle. It was nice to hear our associates went out of their way to try to ensure a more comforting experience for you. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future. Thank you for your comments regarding our two towers and their differences, we love them both too and you point out several great features. Your parking tips will help many travelers and we are always happy to assist them with a great Valet experience here if that is their choice too! We look forward to your return stay with us!

Warmly,

Madalena Miller
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Portland, OR
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Had to come to Seattle to visit a few friends. Had some starwood points so I tried out this hotel.
Everyone was very nice and easy to deal with. I had a large dog with me and he was very well accepted in the hotel by all staff and others at the hotel. Hotel rooms was comfortable, clean and great bed. Really my only complaint is just the parking. It's 44 bucks to park overnight and not a lot of options around but is an amazing location close to everything. Lot's of homeless people in the evening that didn't make walking around at night to fun. But over the hotel was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 2, 2012

If you want to be in a great location for shopping, then this is your spot. We walked everywhere we wanted to visit. The hotel is close to great stores and a short walk to the Space Needle, Pike's Market, the ferries etc.
The lobby of the hotel is really lovely with some interesting art work. Hotel staff were friendly. The rooms were comfortable. It was a very good hotel in a great city. Enjoy.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jsburg
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I'm not sure when the renovations to this hotel was completed, but this is by far the most complete hotel I have ever stayed at. The rooms have new furniture, new carpet (and a new iron and ironing board!). The fitness center and pool are amazing - it's not your typical hotel gym that lacks 99% of the equipment that you want because it's smaller than the size of your room. I could have used the private Washington Athletic Club across the street as a reciprocal club member but this fitness center was perfect for my short trip. The club room was great for breakfast - a huge bowl of blueberries - awesome.

There are already plenty of reviews about the great location so I don't need to get into that but I need to comment on one other thing. When I first arrived, the valet was busy and nobody was available to take my car. Amazingly, the bellman went to the valet desk, got me a ticket and had me on my way. After a day of travel, being able to check in and get into the room just a little bit quicker makes a big difference.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RB_90017
Although the kind words are appreciated, your superior stay was the achievement of the team here at the Sheraton Seattle. It is their commitment to provide superior customer service that permeates the hotel.

They strive to create thoughtful touches throughout a guest’s stay, and it can be as simple as smiling in passing. I wish I could take more credit, but there you have it.

I am pleased to hear that you plan to return, we know you have a choice when you travel on business, and we’re grateful to be your choice.

Warmly,

Madalena Miller
Director of Rooms
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We booked this through Priceline.com's bidding system.

We were pleased with the location to various shopping venues in downtown Seattle as well as being a 10 minute walk to the famous Pike's Place Market.

A bellhop actually took our luggage from the taxi driver and another bellhop made sure our luggage made it to the room. He also made sure to tell us about various hotel amenities. Often times hotel staff and bellhops forget about you once you walk in the door. It was nice to see that the bellhops were concerned about getting our luggage to our room.

Desk staff was VERY attentive and to my surprise seemed genuinely happy and were most pleasant towards the guests. We felt most welcome.

Room and bathroom were clean and didn't look dated or worn out.

We stayed for only one night, but would stay again if we came back to Seattle.

Room Tip: Book through priceline's bidding system. We got our room half off the usual price.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is a great location in the main shopping/tourist vicinity, so extremely handy and convenient to everything. Furnishings were good quality, contemporary and clean as you might expect from a Sheraton. We were in room 2606 in the Pike tower which was 26th level overlooking Pike St and also some city views, and was very quiet. We travelled with our near 2 year old, and we had no problems fitting in his portable crib in the room, even though we had a room with 2 queen beds (no kings available at the time we checked in which was fine). We were offered the minibar key to either use it as provided with so many snack options, or to just use it as a refrigerator for our own items - we did the latter as we had milk for breakfast cereals etc.

Sheraton Seattle is a very large hotel used for many conferences so is pretty busy in the lobby/reception areas most of the time. The staff were generally friendly and helpful, although some front desk staff were just busy so performed their duties with efficiency without much friendly interaction.

Free wifi for own laptop use and internet are available on hotel computers in the lobby but they still charge for daily wifi/internet use in the room, which is disappointing in these times when it is so cheap/free and readily available elsewhere.

The pool and fitness area is excellent - we used the heated pool which was lovely, and also a good spot to take in the views as it is on 35th level overlooking the city and out to the mountain ranges.

We didn't use any restaurant in the hotel during our stay as we ate out elsewhere, so cannot comment on those, although bar area did seem very busy late afternoon, assuming after conferences finished.

Overall, we had a good stay in clean comfortable surrounds. We were able to walk everywhere to explore the city which was also a plus. I would stay here again if in Seattle.

Room Tip: We were on 26th floor in Pike building which was quiet, and also had a reasonable city view. 2606 h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Metcalf-3
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel is just two blocks from the public transportation center by Nordstrom. Also the hotel is within easy walking distance to shopping, restaurants, the art museum, Pike's Place market, and other attractions. The room was quiet, the bed comfortable, and staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo