“A true port in a storm”

Ranked #81 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Bellingham, Washington
“A true port in a storm”
Reviewed December 20, 2010

After spending 3 hours traveling the 15 miles from Seatac airport to the center of Seattle in a subfreezing winter storm, my husband and I abandoned our plan to drive home to Bellingham 90 miles north of the city. Leaving I-5, we negotiated our way to a parking lot and began calling hotels in the area. We were able to book a room at Quality Inn and Suites Seattle Center. We didn't have a map and were unfamiliar with the area, and several streets were blocked by snow and ice. John, the Commercial Manager, stayed on the phone with us for 15 minutes, giving us precise directions to the hotel. He greeted us at the door, gave us hugs, and led us to a free, covered parking spot adjacent to the hotel. There was a fire burning in the lobby fireplace, where I warmed myself while my husband registered. We not only got a room with a king-size bed at a more than reasonable price, we were upgraded to one with a jacuzzi. The staff was wonderful, the room clean and comfortable, and after a hearty complimentary breakfast the next morning we were on our way home.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Enelle
qualitywa155, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Seattle, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
I remember this night! I think everyone in Seattle will for a very long time. I actually remember you and your wife pulling into the parking lot...I am so happy you made it safe. There were so many people showing up that night to escape the disaster on the highways. I hope we will have an opportunity to see you again, maybe on better circumstances! Take care from all of us at the Quality Inn! (GM)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Hey, for the money it’s a great place. In the right neighborhood surrounded by other big chain hotels. Within minutes by taxi from the Westlake Center, where the Light Train to and from SEATAC Airport stops ($2.50 each way) also with a great Food Court at the station. The Inn has a large inviting lobby, rustic style with a real-flame fireplace. Exceptionally friendly reception (by Chris.) Rooms are small but adequate for sleeping but not much else. You don’t go there for romantic encounters or to impress Mama how far you’ve made it in life. Bathroom tiny but sparkling clean. Continental breakfast on the house even includes scrambled eggs and sausage. Wow.

For a one or two night sleep for the money it seems unbeatable.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GCHHawaii
Thank you for posting such a nice review for our hotel! From the sound of your room description, I am sure you stayed in an NQ or NDD (economy room) Great value for the overnight traveler or for someone who will spend very little time in the room...on the other hand if you were interested in a romantic getaway we have many other rooms and packages to accommodate you. Next time ask about our King Jacuzzi room or romance packages! We also have 3 beautiful unique suites on the 5th floor....2 of them have rooftop patios and the Space Needle is right there - a beautiful view. Thank you again for your comments and I hope we see you again!
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I booked two adjoining rooms through Expedia for a weekend in November. My decision was influenced because they had a pool and adjoining rooms. When we got there, the pool was closed due to maintenance.....for the whole weekend. I assume it was due to the comments below where the pool water turned some people's hair green. Not only was the pool closed but I was told they don't guarantee adjoining rooms which we called before we booked on Expedia to ensure we would have rooms that were adjoining.....not just next to each other. Jennifer remembered speaking to me about this and denied telling me we would have adjoining rooms. I would not have booked the room if we could not get adjoining rooms. We had five young kids tired after a long drive (5 hrs) and I just wanted to get checked in.

After a long wait and conversations with different front desk staff unsuccessfully trying to come up with an alternative solution, I was told they would let us out of the reservations if Expedia would let us out. So, on the phone with Expedia for an hour we were given the green light to cancel our reservation, however, when they did this while I was on hold, the manager of Quality Inn, Heather Patrick, denied waiving our $80 cancellation fee. Not only would she not listen to my complaint, was rude and unhelpful, I was appalled at her lack of customer service. She blamed everything on Expedia and refused to offer any help whatsoever. She said, "I don't care what my staff did (referring to her manager Jason who told us the hotel would let us out if Expedia would), I'm the General Manager and I'm not letting you out of the cancellation fee because you did not cancel 24hrs in advance."

I called the Holiday Inn Express next door and their pool was open and they had adjoining rooms we could get for both nights. I was so disgusted with the staff of this Quality Inn that I didn't care about the fee anymore at this point, I was not staying there! We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and had a great rest of our vacation. The kids had a great time in the pool all weekend and the staff there knew how to treat their customers. They even apologized for our experience and were embarrassed that hospitality staff would treat anyone such as the way we were treated by Heather and her staff.

Oh and Expedia ended up waiving our cancellation fee and booking our room at the Holiday Inn Express for the same price. I would have gladly paid the higher rate......the customer service was well worth it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Travelled with 3 young kids, gramma and nanny. Had a suite with 2 double bed in one room and a king/crib in another room. Full kitchen. Great layout with one bathroom. Updated kitchen. Carpet was disgusting. Phones did not work and tv remote did not work. Had a pool but was down for maintenance and no one phoned us prior to us arriving to let us know it was down. One of the main reasons we chose to stay there. They gave us the room for $125 a night to compensate. Amazing price for the area, we walked EVERYWHERE. Free parking too. Free internet (super slow) and continental breakfast was the typical make your own waffle deal. In a nutshell we would stay here again for the price and location. We only we there to sleep so the condition of the floors, etc didnt' affect us to much.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to post your experience. I look forward to your return as each issue you were disappointed in have been resolved. The hallway & guest room carpets have been replaced (will be fully completed this month) the Elevators have been modernized (upgraded) and the pool was down for a full maintenance (painting, cleaning, etc) that has to occur every year to be maintained - I apologize it happen to be when you were here...there is no "good" time to do it. We will post renovations or amenity closures on our website, but I can understand completely how ineffective this can be. Please let us know how your experience is upon your return! (GM)
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Pros: we had reserved 2 rooms. Teenage daughters stayed in one and husband and myself in the other. Check-in went quick and staff was very friendly. Rooms were clean. Pool and spa area was clean and inviting. There is Limited outdoor Parking but this does not have to be an issue: there is a secure underground parking garage - be sure to ask about it at check-in ! Rooms have fridge and microwave, ironing board, free wifi, hairdryer. We do not smoke, but there is a huge outdoor terrace for 'smokers'. Only minutes to walk downtown-great location.

Cons: the carpet needs updating, so does the wallpaper in the guest rooms. Both elevators are SLOW. Breakfast was not great, but it was not any worse than the breakfast at a Best Western or a Holiday Inn!

1 Thank garden-witch
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We spent 6 nights at the Quality Inn & Suites Seattle Center on John Street. The parking was okay - not as bad as others had let us to believe by their reviews. The halls are in need of updating. The elevators are a pain - always slow. The breakfasts were hardly sufficient. What food we did get was awful & it was always overly crowded. We'd hoped for good coffee since we WERE in Seattle... but it was standard hotel coffee. The hot water in our shower didn't work one morning & when I called the office to report it, they offered to move me to another room. I couldn't do that, however, as I was in town for a competition and needed to get ready and leave by a certain time. Housekeeping failed to clean our room one day and we were gone a good part of the day. We didn't say any thing about it until the following day because we were gone in the evening & just wanted to relax and not have to deal with it. We did mention it the next day. We did tip our housekeeper every day. There was a slider that opened up to a communal patio on the roof... no view - just the highway, but better than nothing. We enjoyed the jacuzzi tub in our room. The bed was comfy except for the dip in the middle of the (king) bed, where you tended to roll. We did find a good pizza place nearby - but they didn't deliver. The Space Needle is viewable from areas of the hotel and within walking distance. The hot tub by the pool was relaxing. The high speed internet was remarkably slow. I would recommend this hotel for someone just looking for a place to crash. If you're looking for a luxurious vacay experience - keep looking.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed here while visiting Seattle for a Sounders soccer game, a big splash-out for my 11-year-old's birthday. We were thrilled with the view of the Space Needle from our room. We didn't even care that the carpet was seriously stained--the rest of the room was fine. However, my 14-year-old daughter started the trip with beautiful, shiny long blond hair. After just 25 minutes in the pool, her hair was dyed bright green. When she came in I thought it was a joke. Panicked, she jumped into the shower and washed it over and over. She dried it and went to bed--very late--with dull green hair and tears. Now, we're not picky people, and I expect a swimmer who is, let's say, on a team, could get green hair over time. But not after 25 minutes, and not that green. My daughter has been in countless pools, often for hours, and never once has had her hair dyed.

I went to the desk in the morning tired and irked that our night was taken over by the dyed hair fiasco. The receptionist said, yes her hair is green, all right. Her manager (via phone) refused to compensate us in any way, but offered handouts about blonds and chlorine. I told them I didn't want their handouts and that there was another child with bright green hair at breakfast, which meant their pool chemicals were off. The staff apologized--which to me means you then make it right by at least paying for the cost of repairing what you damaged--ie enough for a cut and dye job if nec. or a coupon for a free night's stay--something. Every time I looked at her hair that weekend, I was angry at the hotel for not taking responsibility.
Back home, people asked us about the green hair and were, every single one, amazed that the hotel did nothing to compensate us. Luckily, the green mostly faded after about 2 weeks of frequent washing. But now, 3 weeks later, I can still see the green hue. I have a photo of my green-haired daughter standing next to the Quality Inn sign, but she'd rather not post it here. We won't be going to any Quality Inns anymore. Ever. (Well, maybe if we want our hair turned green for another Sounders game.)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family