“Not best choice”

Quality Inn & Suites Seattle
Ranked #82 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We stayed one night on the 5th floor. Hard to find - directions not clear. On very busy road, so pretty loud. Elevator really slow and made ominous noises. Lighting on floor dim, sort of creepy. Room layout weird - two sliding glass doors out to tar paper roof - no seating, no signs saying Stay Off. Small kids next door were of course drawn to edge. Could not get DVD player to work and called front desk to ask question - staff didn't know but would send someone up. Canceled request. Not in best area - thought we could walk to Seattle Center but homeless people were sleeping in doorways between the two places - and I have young girls. Opted not to walk. Stuffy smelling. Windows grimey from the inside. Odd mixture of furniture. Free continental breakfast hard to locate and about what you'd expect for free. Room was not ready at check in time so they deducted $10 off our bill. Will not stay there again. Ever.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,011)

Reviewed June 25, 2008

OK, I'm tired of some of the finicky reviews of this place. It's a Quality Inn, for Pete's sake. Don't expect the Ritz. It's a perfectly fine 2* hotel.

I was there for UW commencement and the city was busy, so this was the best I could do. I got a rate of $95 on Quikbook, and that was the best I could find ANYWHERE for this or any other decent property in downtown. When I arrived, I asked for two beds. The clerk was knowledgeable and efficient, and said she had only one left, but the rate would be $99. No problem. Still a deal for these dates. The lobby had a kind of Northwest lodge feel, with stone walls and floor. There was free coffee available and limited free newspapers. The elevator was kind of creaky and battered, and the guest room hallways were pretty shabby, but the room itself was spotless. Event the edges of the carpet seemed vacuumed, something I often don't see in 4* hotels. It had a beamed ceiling, again with the lodge feeling, and a microwave and mini-fridge. Plenty of room. Free wireless internet (although sometimes a weak signal). No problems with noise. The free breakfast was pretty abundant, although the breakfast room was crowded. There were signs about not taking away food, but my sister brought me stuff anyhow. No big deal. So I was perfectly satisfied.

There's FREE parking! Some is in a lot alongside the street (Aurora), but there's also a hard-to-find garage. Go behind the hotel and completely around the block to the other side. You'll see a small Quality Inn sign over the entrance. You enter with your room key, so access is completely controlled. The elevator will take you all the way to the guest floors. I'd say the elevator was the biggest problem here: it was slow, old, creaky, and ugly. Otherwise, everything was fine. They even have a nice indoor pool off the lobby.

The location was good. It's not in the thick of downtown, but DT is very accessible in a few minutes walk. If you exit the hotel and go right down Denny Way, there's an area with cafes and restaurants, and further down is the Space Needle food court. There's also a McDonalds near the Space Needle. If you go a few blocks north on Denny Way, there's a Whole Foods Market. And if you're in a hurry, there's a convenience store/gas station on the corner of Denny and Aurora, about 2 minutes walk.

So I would not be afraid to stay here. I hope this hotel will move up in the rankings.

• Stayed: June 2008
5  Thank readymade
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We stayed in room 319 for 7 nights in May. It had a king bed, small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. It was on the rear of the hotel and had a view of the parking lot and next door hotel (see pics). Luckily, we did not come for the view. The room was spacious enough and the bed comfortable. The front desk personnel we talked to were always friendly and helpful. This is a good cheap hotel, but do not expect anything fancy.

The bus to downtown stops right outside the front door and comes often. We preferred to walk most places, it’s an easy walk to the Space Needle, monorail and Experience Music Project / Science Fiction Museum and not much farther to go downtown and to Pike’s Place Market.

Room 319 has an adjoining room, the first few days the room next door had 3 chatty German girls in it. And the last day or so another group of girls had it who stayed up loudly until about 5am. I use ear plugs, so I could sleep, but my husband was somewhat bothered.

Take your swimsuit, there’s an indoor pool and spa which was great to soak in after walking all day. I found the hot tub to be super hot each time I went, the pool was always too cold for me, but I'm from Phoenix. The breakfast was plenty adequate for us, a bagel, coffee and yogurt are fine for us. There were other cold items and a waffle maker as well. If you like Thai food, please check out the Golden Singha about two blocks away, it is very good.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank katdog
Reviewed May 2, 2008

I just finished a 5-night stay from Comfort Suites Downtown Seattle and moved into this hotel down on the road for another night before heading back home. Boy was I surprised to see the difference of hotel facility between the two! I have stayed at other Quality Inn/Suites in the past but this one by far is my least favorite one. While Quality Inns/Suites is not the same as Comfort Inns/Suites but since they are operated under the same hotel family chain, I do expect equivalent or at least similar quality standard, especially when both hotels are only within 300 feet away from each other. Despite that the Quality Inn/Suites Downtown Seattle offers clean basic rooms with maybe 5-10% less in pricing, it is a somewhat run-down facility with a "bear-cave" feel - small, dark and old. I guess if you just want a simple basic place to stay for a day or two and are budget conscious, the Q hotel Seattle will be an okay choice.

It is mediocre overall, upgrades are definitely needed for the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2008

We booked and stayed in two rooms. The one room had a telephone that did not work and a heater that did not work. Then there was a problem with the toilet in that room. These problems were taken care of after we complained. We stayed three nights and not once was the hot tub warm enough to sit in, even after we requested that they turn up the heat. The other room had bugs in the shower.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2008

We stayed here for about 4 days. It is not a terrible hotel, however, things need an upgrade badly. The best thing about this hotel is free parking and location. I would only recommend this hotel to people who are on a budget and want a decent location, and who are spending most of their time out of the room.

Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank abracabubble
Reviewed March 14, 2008

My boyfriend and I were looking for a room with a jacuzzi in Seattle and this one was in our price range so I called them to book a room. The girl at the front desk told me in a very [----] and curt way that there was no rooms available for the dates I wanted, then hung up. I looked at the website and there were tons of rooms so I called back and was able to book a room for the exact same dates I said the first time with no trouble?!?!?! Should have been my first clue....

Then when we get there she wouldn't process my Canadian debit card at the front desk and told me I needed to find an atm. She told me I could go up the street to a gas station. We did, but then the next day realized that there was an atm that worked fine for our card right in the lobby of the hotel?!?!!?

THE WORST PART - At some point in the middle of the night, someone opened our room door. It caught on the chain but it opened. I woke up but wasn't sure if I was imagining it or what, so I just stayed awake all night after that. The next day we went down to breakfast and then tried to come back, and our key cards wouldn't work. We went to front desk and it turns out that when we paid the day before no one had bothered to check us in fully in the computer, so in the middle of the night the front desk guy gave our room to one of his friends.... Then he deactivated our keys because we weren't checked in?!?!?
This hotel is disorganized and has terrible service. Also, the location isn't that great, but you can walk to downtown and its cheap. The jacuzzi was fun tho, I just don't recommend using bubble bath cause you can't control those bubbles with the jets on!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple