“Disgusting to know, Ruined my stay”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Seattle, Wa.
“Disgusting to know, Ruined my stay”
Reviewed April 8, 2010

am very torn here, I really enjoyed my time at the renaissance, the staff was nice, the room was comfortable but there was one thing that really ruined the entire experience for me and sadly is enough for me to give only 1 star to the hotel.

I was in the Lobby bar/coffee stand place and the guy mixing my drinks was obviously very sick (red nose, puffy eyes, sounded like something was stuck in his throat). I was concerned so I asked why he hadn't called in sick. I was told,

"I woke up late today and couldn't call in." I asked why, he said "If we don't call in 2 hours before our scheduled shift we get written up. One of my coworkers was just fired for it"

WHAT?!?!?! Are you kidding me? Isn't there some way to make an exception for this poor guy? It started making me think, if they force someone who works in the food/beverage part of the hotel to work when this sick, do I have horrible germs from a just as sick maid all over my sheets because she had the audacity to get as much sleep as possible before coming into work at the ungodly early hour they make housekeepers come in? Did the front desk clerk who so friendly shook my hand have H1N1 Virus all over his palm?

Honesty, the IDEA that someone at this Hotel HAS to come into work when sick just because they are so rude as to wake up with just enough time to get ready and go to work is so disgusting it has made me decide to NEVER go back. If you care about your health you will spend your money at a place that cares about the well being of their guests.

SHAME ON THE MANAGEMENT OF THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank TigerHarley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I didn't want to stay at the Renaissance due to it's distance from the Convention Center, but I'm glad I did. The six block walk to the convention center is all downhill and gives one the opportunity to check out the shopping and fine dining along the way.

Upon my arrival, I was greeted by the friendly and courteous staff. And I must say the staff was excellent during my entire stay. The door men, concierge, even the bartenders were knowledgeable and helpful with any and every question I had regarding Seattle. In particular, the concierge, Jean-Paul, provided excellent advice regarding fine dining. I needed to entertain several business associates, and Jean-Paul directed me to an excellent restaurant and secured a table for us without a reservation. Fantastic service. My business associates were very pleased. I can't recall a single instance in which a staff member was not eager and ready to assist me. A job well done to the Renaissance Seattle.

Also, the food was excellent. I did not dine at the Visions lounge which is the restaurant/bar on the top floor, but I spent quite a bit of time at the lobby bar. Lunch starts at noon, and it's fantastic. The quality of the food is excellent and worth the premium one usually pays for dining at the hotel. After a disappointing lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, I had a splendid meal at the lobby bar. My compliments to the chef.

I stayed in a standard room without any complaint. The accommodation was roomy with a soft bed and an ample selection of pillows to choose from (soft to extra firm). Unlike other premium hotels I have stayed at, the "Do Not Disturb" sign actually worked. On the days I decided to sleep in, I did not receive any hostile calls from housekeeping asking me if I wanted my room cleaned. If I slept in, I wasn't disturbed. And when I returned in the evening, I came back to clean towels and a freshly made bed. Fantastic!

The service and quality was excellent and well worth the daily room rate. Though they don't tell you up front, there is free internet access in the lobby (including bar and lounge area). If you are staying in downtown Seattle, this is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Roy, Washington
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We love staying at Marriott's, but this was our first time at The Renaissance. What a great hotel! We stayed in one of the Executive Suites on the 23rd floor in the SW corner. We had great views and weren't bothered by the I-5 traffic. Room service was fantastic...the food and the service. We had breakfast delivered every morning (we purchased the Valentine's special so breakfast was included). The pancakes were fluffy. The oatmeal was hot and served with raisins and brown sugar. The bacon and sausage were cooked to order. Needless to say, we were well equipped with energy to have a great morning walking around town. Dinner through room service was good, too. However, I think the nearby by restaurants probably are a bit better. We received free parking, free wireless internet, and free breakfasts along with two $100 reward certificates to be used during a future stay at any Renaissance Hotel.
We'll be back to visit this hotel soon!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Very clean, very helpful and nice staff that seem so happy. When I checked out super early to catch my 7 am flight, I rushed out of my room and left my earrings. When the hotel, they found them in the room for me and arranged to have them shipped for free!! This hotel is in a great location to walking to downtown and pioneer square. Definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2010
California
Reviewed February 25, 2010

We had a great rate to stay here and knew Renaissance is Marriott's luxury hotel brand. The hotel turned out to exceed our needs. We were staying for just a nice before driving to Canada. The hotel shows that it's recently been renovated with great furniture throughout the lobby and guest room. The staff is really friendly even though we felt they were understaffed when we arrived and had to wait in line while the desk attendants were helping others with directions. Hotel parking was convenient underground. Based on Tripadvisor reviews, we asked for a room away from the 5 Freeway which meant it was quiet -- we were across from the city courthouse. We also had drinks in the bar at night and thought it was a nice lounge, quiet on a weekend.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Victoria BC
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Spent 2 nights and was very pleased with very friendly service, updated comfortable rooms. We were in a west facing room and had no complaints about noise. Parking was $30 + $5 taxes which seemd very pricey.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Bay area, CA
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I stayed here in the Fall for a conference. The hotel was chosen for its "green" practices, which are commendable and worth a mention. Like most places, they still have a ways to go in that direction, but they have many practices that go beyond just low flow toilets and not changing the sheets and towells every day unless asked.

Aside from that, they were one of the nicer hotels I've stayed at in Seattle. I'm a government employee, and when we travel we almost always get the least desirable rooms as we pay the gov't rate. Mine was in the back of the building, close to both the elevator and the ice machine, overlooking the freeway and the city street, yet it was very quiet and very comfortable. The rooms are all set up suite style, and I must say the bed was as comfy as any I've slept in. Could I have found a way to get it in my suitcase, I might have been guilty of hotel theft.

In addition, the hotel has a nice restaurant with a great view, and the food was very good and reasonably priced, with very nice wait staff.

Staff at this hotel were outstanding, too, from the wait staff at the restaurant to the check-in staff to the doormen. Helpful, friendly, considerate, efficient, responsive. You can always tell a hotel that is good to work for; people seemed happy to be at their jobs and to really make an effort. Our conference facilities, too, were excellent. Even the food served at the conference was a cut above. I wasn't involved in setting it up, so I can't speak to how easy they were to work with, but if the flawless service and really delicious food (and I know we got the least expensive options, because that's a requirement) were any indications, if ever I need to set one of these things up in Seattle, they will be my first choice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business