“Experience depends on the room you get”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We recently stayed two nights at the Renaissance. The first night, we were given a room on the 8th floor facing the highway, and it was unbelievably noisy for such a hotel where you'd expect better sound-proofing. The noise did not let up through the night and we were unable to sleep, and I ended up calling in the early morning hours to see if we could get a room change the next day. The girl gave us no apology whatsoever, told us to call back in the morning. I called again in the morning with the same experience, and was told we should come back to the hotel between 2-4 pm to see if we could get a room change as they would be assigning rooms at that time. Again, no apology, and no effort to try to help us, which I thought was below average customer service for such a hotel.

We walked back to the hotel at around 3 pm to request a room change and this time had better luck. We were originally given a room on the same side of the hotel but higher up, but she then offered to talk with her manager who gave us a bigger room on the 21st floor facing 5th avenue with double-glass windows for better sound-proofing, which was an upgrade from our regular room. Friendly service this time around, and the room was quiet and spacious and much more comfortable. We had a great second night with their comfortable bedding.

Overall, I would give them a 3-star rating based on the first night on the 8th floor, and a 5-star rating based on the second night on the 21st floor facing 5th avenue.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room with double-glass windows, with preference for higher floors not facing the hig...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Aeruginosa
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and your feedback.
I am sorry that we did not have a quiet room for you the first night and for the lack of empathy from my employee. I will address this issue with my front service team.
We are in the process of installing new windows on the east side of the building. The feedback we are getting from our guests that have stayed in those rooms is very positive.

Again thank you for your nice comments and we hope you will be back on your next visit to Settle.

Rene Neidhart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,941)

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Good things- I got a room on the north side of the 25th floor, very nice view. Very easy walk to Pike/Pine corridor.

Bad things- Highway 5 noise. Bed felt a little too broken in. Flat uncomfortable pillows.

Awful- the bathroom door! It was not a door, it was a sliding "privacy screen" made from frosted glass. It does not lay flush with the wall, so you have no privacy. I had to run the shower to use the restroom. I joked with my husband that if we hadn't been married so long I would have had to go down to the lobby.

Overall, it was fine because I got a good rate on Priceline. If I paid full price I'd be annoyed.

Room Tip: You'll probably be able to see the space needle in a room on the north side, but the west side w...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FiveAlive
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and your feedback.
We generally do not get a comment about highway noise on the north side of the building.
I am sorry about that.
The sliding glass doors, are in general well received as they give more room to move around than a traditional door.

We do appreciate your feedback and hope you will be back to our hotel.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I have a few criteria when I book a hotel, one of the top ones is free wifi in the room. Unfortunately, despite all the trappings of an upmarket hotel, the Renaissance Seattle doesn't provide this basic amenity. I was convinced that I had checked this when I booked so I asked reception, they told me that the wifi was free in reception but not in the rooms. Seems like false advertising to say there is free wifi to me!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Mary C

Dear Mary,
Thank you for your business and your comments.
Most full service Marriott and Renaissance hotels do charge for the internet access in hotel rooms while offering it complimentary in the public areas. Providing high speed internet to hotel rooms is very expensive for hotels and we offer the service free for our elite reward members and our regular guests.

Again thank you and I hope you will return to visit us on your next trip to Seattle.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed 5 nights in this hotel to attend a Conference (CEIA Conference) and being my first visit to Seattle, had to admit that the staff were the highlight of this hotel. Right from the time I entered the hotel, all the staff including the door-staff, reception, room service, and all others were exceptionally courteous and friendly and you feel like being attended with a warm hospitality. I still could see the smiling face of Mr. Kirk, who delivered food to my Room (Room 2003) on to occasion and his service and attitude was commendable, very friendly staff the hotel management should be proud of. The room cleaning staff were also very friendly and always possess smiling faces. The Maxwell Café staff were also very professional and ready to assist; even though the food was not that good; especially the only two meat dishes for breakfast was Pork and the hotel management should consider adding a non-pork meat item to the menu. Mr. John who was at the front door welcoming guests, was very helpful in guiding me to shopping areas, landmarks, etc and his suggestions saved me a lot of time. Overall the stay was great, except for my last day's (5th day in a row) stay the charge was around $ 400+ and they were not willing to provide any discount despite I was a guest for 4 days.

My overall rating of this hotel is great and response of room service was great and I received all the requested items in no time, especially newspapers, additional coffee packs, etc.

Thanks to all the hotel staff and I will definitely stay in Renaissance, if visiting Seattle again.

Regards

Sunil

Room Tip: My room was on the rear side of the hotel with a good view of the waterfront.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you so much for attending the CEIA conference and your great review.
We do appreciate your detailed comments about our service and will look in to your suggestion of adding a none pork item to our breakfast line up.
Again thank you so much and I hope you will be able to come back to visit us.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Its nice when you return to a hotel after raising some points to discover they have been resolved. The previous gym was too small and busy, they have now opened a new one which is much larger and better - great job. The internet was poor before, which they have also upgraded to a much better service however they are still charging for internet! Its 2014, this is crazy!
Rooms are fairly decent, some have traffic noise issues but I understand this is being resolved soon. Breakfast and food is good, as is the happy hour on the top floor bar.
Concierge staff and valet staff are always smiling and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get high and opposite site of highway to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for coming back and staying with us again.
I am so glad that you like our improvements to the gym and the increased high speed internet.
While we understand the cost concerns related to our services these improvements are expensive.
We continue to upgrade our hotel with new windows on the east side to reduce the noise level and we hope you enjoy our new look in the lobby when you come back again.

Best regards

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stayed here a few years ago and when my usual hotel for Seattle trips was booked, I looked here as I had enjoyed it when I last visited.

I came with 4 other friends in 2 separate rooms. We were a little disappointed that there wasn't a pool (as several reviews said there was, but I phoned ahead to check in case).
The weight room was incredible, and the restaurant downstairs was delicious. We ate there all three breakfasts we were in town.

The lobby is amazing and the staff are very friendly and accommodating, however for the price we paid for the rooms, it was a little disappointing.
Our friend's room did not have a working safe (they borrowed ours), and their bathroom had caulking missing from around the tub, and a few tiles that seemed a little loose.
Our room seemed ok, except that for some reason the bathroom had a sliding door which when open covered the full length mirror outside. When one person wants to leave the bathroom and another is trying on her outfit for dinner, it was very frustrating to try and co-ordinate.
My friend couldn't figure out how to set the alarm, and even though the button on the phone said "front desk", it did not connect to anything when I tried to use it.

I don't think the room was worth the price we paid, considering how they looked compared to the shared areas of the building, but we did still have a nice trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Ms. Wilson,
thank you so much for coming back to stay with us.
We appreciate your feedback about our public space and our breakfast.
I am sorry your friends safe was not working.

We will start a complete redo of all of guest rooms this fall and I hope you will be back on your next visit to Seattle.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stay in a lot of different hotels and need quiet clean rooms after my flight to relax. This hotel is real great, good location and pleasantly nice staff. Room service is good and real quick, amazing friendly and polite staff, I'll be back on the the 21st and looking forward to it, thanks to all!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your business and your great review.
We too look forward to have you back at the end of the month.