“A wonderful surprise”

Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Arkansas
“A wonderful surprise”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

After reading the reviews I was very nervous that the hotel would be an old noisey uncomfortable place. When we arrived we were wonderfully surprised! The hotel had an elegant feel, with a nice lobby. We requested 2 rms with 2dbl beds each away from expressway. When we arrived they only had one room w/ 2dbl beds and a corner room near expressway. The corner room was great! It was like a mini suite with separate sitting room and sleeping area. There was some noise from street but nothing like I was expecting, just a little background noise. The 2nd room was smaller in comparison but very comfortable with nice ammenities. Pool on 28th floor with hot tub was small but had a great view especially at night. Staff were all very accomodating and nice.

Location was okay, walking distance to most but hills were very steep so more strenuous of a walk for distance.

Would definitley stay again and would reccomend it.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank napal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2008

From the moment we checked in, our stay at the Renaissance Seattle was great. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. Although a bit small, the room was spotless and very comfortable. The food prices--including room service--were extremely affordable, and all the food we had was amazing. The fitness center was also nice, and the location was great for what we wanted to do--walking distance to Pike Place Market, the monorail to the Space Needle, Pioneer Square, and Safeco Field (although I wouldn't recommend the walk back from Pioneer Square or Safeco Field simply because it is mostly up very steep hills). I would certainly recommend this hotel to pretty much anyone looking for a great stay in Seattle!

• Liked — service, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Midwest Exile
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I'm the first to admit that upon reading the reviews on TripAdvisor about the Renaissance Seattle I was really tempted to change my reservation - but given that I had an excellent rate (friend got me a discount) and the other hotels in the area were at least twice as much, I held my breath, said a prayer and hoped for the best.

You really should see it for yourself and the only thing I regret about my stay is that I didn't take any pictures of the place to post here.

The room renovations are up to date, trendy and stylish. I often travel for business and I don't usually sleep well in a hotel the first night but had no problems here. Television is now flat-screen - no fridge in the room but with turndown service nightly we got a fresh bucket of ice. Admittedly, the room size is a bit smaller than most, but they were still comfortable and roomy enough to hang out in for a couple of hours during the day. Someone in an earlier review mentioned not having a fan for the bathroom and there isn't a seperate fan (which I was worried about) but the four days I was there I never found it to be a problem. Infact, this bathroom often cleared out faster than some others in hotels that do have separate fans.

Unlike some other Marriott properties, this one does have wireless in the rooms. If you have two laptops with wireless you either need to pay twice for the internet access OR someone will need to write down the access code and you'll have to take turns. I called the front desk on this and tried to get them to understand when you've got two people traveling, and two people with two seperate laptops that need to use their own laptop for business purposes paying twice for the service seems stupid, but I didn't win that battle.

And the hotel staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They've got a great crew there and I would not hesitate to stay there again. Had dinner one night in the lounge on the top floor - relaxing, priced about what I would expect for a hotel restaurant/lounge, and incredible biews.

The one downside is that it is a bit further away from the rest of the "toursity" area of Seattle, but it's not like it's an unreasonable walk either. Another individual suggested taking 6th when walking if you want it to be a little less hilly and that's a great suggestion too. There is a city bus that within certain areas is free and for a nominal amount will take you other places as well. Most things are within walking distance though. In the few days we were there we walked to the monorail that took us to Seattle Center, walked to Pike's Market, the ferry pier, to Pioneer Square, and to Safeco Field without any problem or troubles.

I've stayed at a number of Marriott properties (have marriott elite status) and this is one of the nicest I've been to and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — Super friendly staff, great rooms, good location
  • Disliked — Wireless internet policy/cost, limited food options immediately around the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
gers
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Business trip - first time to city and found hotel disappointing. The lobby area and other public areas lacked character. The bedroom was small and slightly shoddy. The restaurant was okay for breakfast but not attractive for evening (I didn't even go as far as looking at the menu). And to cap it all was the price. I found this hotel expensive and not good value for money.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed May 31, 2008

...and it is almost bright enough to read by. Despite the remodel, the curtains are very poorly fit to the window, which is recessed. Could be substantially alleviated by a better fit, and one of those short curtains that cover the top part, hung on the outside of the recess.

I hate it when it is obvious that a renovation is done purely for visual aesthetic, and no member of management has ever actually tried to sleep in the room.

Room on the 21st floor, on the opposite side from the freeway, is still pretty noisy, though not enough to bother me, since I use a white noise machine anyway -- but I pity the poor traveller who gets a low room on the freeway side, which also happens to face east, meaning the light problem is no doubt even worse.

Otherwise, everything else about the place is nice, followiing the remodel. A much better hotel to look at than to sleep in, though.

• Liked — Room is comfy for hanging out
  • Disliked — Room is not so great to sleep in
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Southern CA
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We just backed from Seattle for the memoiral day weekend. This hotel is nice and location is OK. I booked from priceline.com. It was great price. When we checked in as family of four, the hotel did not have any rollaway bed so they upgrde us to a corner suite! The suite is nice and has room for the kids. Everyone in the hotel is very nice and lobby and hallway are not too bad. Close to freeway but it is not that noisy. We rented a car but did not use the hotel's parking lot ($27 a day). It is not hard to find free street parking near the hotel maybe it is because of long weekend.

Stayed May 2008
San Diego
Reviewed May 19, 2008

So I read most of the reviews before staying here and, honestly, considered changing my reservations. I'm glad that I didn't. The place is very nice, located up some steep hills (if you're walking), there's construction going on and a freeway to look. But if you can get past that (we did, pretty easily, too) it's a nice property. Being a platinum member, I called ahead and asked to be upgraded. We got a room on the 26th floor with views of Seattle on three sides. Smallish room with a separate sitting area. Same floor as the club lounge, so that was nice. Hotel was clean, everyone acted very professional and there's plenty of things to walk to within just a few blocks. We didn't rent a car here and, if you can avoid it, I wouldn't do it. It's too costly and Seattle is a good cab city. I would stay here again, but would like check out the Marriott on the waterfront first, just for a little variety. Also, paid $135 with a VIP card, so all things considered, it was a very good deal.

Stayed May 2008