“Nice hotel, but some things could improve.”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I grabbed a Priceline "Name Your Price" stay at the Marriott Renaissance and was happy with the hotel. The staff are extremely courteous and willing to help. I called ahead to make sure we could charge our EV when we arrived, and was told "no problem". When we arrived, there was no charging station, so I had to go to another parkade a few blocks away and walk back. No big deal, but I thought it strange that nobody knew about electric vehicles and where to charge them in 2013? The rooms are modern and comfortable, but bring some earplugs, the traffic noise is punishing. Sound insulation needs to be upgraded, since I could hear the room next door quite easily. Everything from the wake up alarm to the phone call. It's an 8 block walk to Pike Place, and the terrain is steep and a good cardio workout. Parking is outrageous, but then again almost all parking garages in the area are $33 or more for a day. For the 40% discount I got on Priceline it is worth the stay, but regular rack rates? I'd say look at something closer to Pike Place.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sixweeks
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with and your comments.
We do appreciate that you liked your stay and I am sorry that the person you spoke to did not know that we do not have an electric vehicle charging station. I am going to make sure that all of our employees know where the closest charging stations are.

Again thank you for your nice comments and I do hope that you return to stay with us real soon.

Rene Neidhart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,944)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We came in from a cruise ship and had a scheduled Bon Vivant wine tour that morning. The hotel staff was wonderful in getting us checked in early (10am) so we could leave our bags in the security of a locked room. My parents were also thankful, since they didn't have to be to the airport until 3pm. They, too, kept their bags in our room and explored Seattle without worry! The bed and pillows were comfortable, room layout was expansive and nicely set up. Our only complaint was that the walls are a little thin, but we were so tired that it wasn't too bad.
Thank you to the staff for being amazing!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and your great comments about or staff.
We understand that service is important to our guests, and our staff appreciates all the positive feedback we are getting in regards to our service.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Completely avg. stay. The hotel location is about the only thing We were ok with. The Hotel noise was very high from the rooms close to us, to the outside noise in the downtown setting. We were supposedly upgraded to a corner suite on the 11th floor, (never been in a suite on the 11th floor?) and the view they said to be the best in the hotel. WRONG! You could see a poster size view of the water and many of the surrounding buildings including the courthouse... What a view!!! NOT! When I asked the day after we arrived if there was anything higher with a better view, they informed me, that was the best iw in the whole hotel. Not exactly the best answer when the hotel goes I think 28 floors and a higher floor would let us see over the adjacent buildings... Whatever, they must not have seen I stay in Marriott properties 150+ nights year. The room itself was below avg. The room was very small with a very small living room with a couch and desk that lead into a hallway with the bed. (Remember this is a suite) With a king sized bed, the room was barely big enough to walk around on the sides of it. The bathroom was barely big enough for a toilet, sink and shower. The sink's drain was clogged and would take 8-10 min to drain after washing hands. The hallway in front of the closet had a huge red stain on the floor that was clearly noticeable. The couch in the room was completely stained and had so much dust on it, I wiped it down with a damp rag myself. The TV satellite kept freezing making it very frustrating to watch a movie. What was really frustrating was the concierge lounge. Let me just say, there is no way that many people should ever be in there. I don't know if they were giving everybody access or what but it was a joke and way too crowded. This privilege used to be reserved for people with elite status and not any Jo schmo that pay extra for it. This is usually a place to get away and have some quiet time, not compete with crowds of people just to get a water or a muffin. Groups of young kids, that I KNOW don't stay 50-75 nights a year in able to get access to this lounge. Maybe a parent does but a group of friends should or be allowed to go in there. There should be limited access. Just my opinion. The elevators were extremely slow also, ESP. Since there was a conference at the hotel. Very slow and people getting on to go 1 floor. No common sense!! The service also was below avg. We called down and asked for an essential toiletry item only to have to wait 1 hour and call again. Not acceptable. As you can probably tell after reading my post, I was not very satisfied with my stay. The location was good but that's about it. Stay at the Marriott down on the harbor.

Room Tip: Get a high room to drown out all the noise and try to stay away from the freeway side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank K P
NHLovell, Director of Sales at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear KP-

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Had we not been fully occupied, I am sure we would have accommodated your request to move you to a higher floor. You made a very good point and that is how we refer to our Corner King rooms. We interchangeably call them "Corner Kings" and "Executive Suites", and I agree the word "Suite" is misleading for this particular room category. We have heard this before and will change our verbiage immediately.

With regard to the Concierge Lounge situation, we have seen this ourselves and are looking into a solution to "protect" this privilege for our guests with elite Marriott status.

The elevators are all brand new as of this year and it is disappointing you found them to be so slow. I can only speculate that at peak times of the day when the hotel is completely full, the elevators are impacted.

I would welcome the chance to speak with you and will private message you to find out your guestroom number so we can be sure the room is appropriately maintained.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will give us another try should your travels bring you back up our way.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The staff in this hotel were outstanding and friendly. The view from our room was really nice and the room was comfortable. Breakfast was included in our stay and it was really good. We did not have a car so we did not pay the extra money for Parking...really...you don't need a car if you are staying in Seattle for a short period of time. Save your money and go and have a nice dinner somewhere. You can get around Seattle by Taxi or public transportation very easy. Would I stay in Hotel again....YES ...YES

Room Tip: I tell my friends to get the concierge level at all Marriott's if you can. Best advise I can gi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and your great review.

I do appreciate that your nice comments about our service and that you enjoyed our food.
Please hurry back real soon

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Don't stay here unless you can get an absolute guarantee that you will be given a room away from the freeway. The noise is incredible and when you enter the room (on the 8th floor, 823) the fans are turned way up to mask the sound of the freeway. We had a corner room, the corner of freeway and freeway! Nothing worked...ear plugs, sleep medication, a pillow over my head. Worst night experience I can ever remember having. Staff was not helpful in giving me a room off the freeway, which I had asked for when I checked in, saying that the hotel was sold out. Never again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the freeway are a MUST...corner room is great if not on the corner of freeway and fr...
3  Thank Richard867

Dear Richard867-

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. it is true we have been 100% fully occupied the past week and would have moved you to another room if we had one available. It is always our intent to make our guests as comfortable as possible.

The good news is we will be starting to replace the east (highway) facing windows shortly and this should greatly reduce the sounds of city traffic.

I noticed you are from Seattle and we would really love it if you would give us another try if you ever need downtown accommodations. Please contact me directly by calling the hotel and asking for me so I can ensure you have a perfect stay.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I began an extended visit to Alaska with a two-stay here and were pleased with the facility, staff and food. We were warmly received, had a great room and, being tired from our flight in from the East coast, found excellent food and service at the hotel restaurant, we had excellent guidance about walking and public transportation from the staff. Great stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
NHLovell, Director of Sales at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear RoninParis-

Thank you for your outstanding review of your precruise stay at the Renaissance Seattle. We are so pleased we made you feel welcome and comfortable upon your arrival after a long trip, and that you found the food and service in our restaurant to be excellent. It's great to hear that staff gave you helpful tips on getting around in our city.

We hope the rest of your trip up to Alaska was as enjoyable. Thank you again!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We priced this hotel on Priceline and got a decent rate considering it was also U of W graduation weekend.
Hotel is conveniently located.
Worst part is the parking! Parking prices were $40 for self park and $50 for valet. Street parking is $4 per hour but you can park in a private paid lot for about half that price
Parking is free after 10 pm and on Sundays.
Hotel is centrally located and not too far from anything. Most of downtown is "hilly" and in many instances can compare to San Francisco.
All in all, a good deal

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bay
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for staying with us and your review.
I do appreciate that you liked our hotel overall. As you mentioned correctly parking is expensive in Seattle and our rates are comparable to all major hotels in downtown. There are two reason for this.
1. The $40 rate includes a tax of 21%. 2. Downtown hotels have only a limited number of spaces on site and we have to rent offsite spaces that cost us anywhere from $20 to$30 per night in addition to the labor costs to park the cars.

I hope you do understand our position and I look forward to hopefully see you again at our hotel on your next visit to Seattle.

Rene Neidhart.