“Rethinking my harsh review!”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Victoria, Canada
“Rethinking my harsh review!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was very pleased that I had a response from the manager of the hotel. I have not spoken to Renee yet but will follow through with the call.
Upon re-eading my rather harsh review ( I was sleep deprived at that time) I feel that I should have told about my good experiences there as well:
The food in this hotel is exceptional! Truly magical really.
I really had not thought about how a review for the hotel would affect the restaurant and all the other wonderful accoutrements like the decor and the fine french gentleman who offered me an umbrella when it rained.
Maybe i was so mad when complaining about my lack of sleep at 5 am iI had mistaken the Concierge' tone. If so I am feeling a bit sheepish about this.
When creating my next review I will give it a few days and really think before criticizing

Again, I think that if Renee, the General Manager is reading and responding to reviews that speaks volumes to me.
Perhaps when the windows are replaced and I have proper walking shoes I will stay again.
Humbly yours,
Travel bug

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a quiet room or ear plugs. Bring good shoes to walk to the downtown area. Hi...
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NHLovell, Director of Sales at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Travel Bug:

How nice to hear from you again! We thank you for the "updated" review and I want to assure you that Mr. Neidhart is reading this and will appreciate your kind comments....especially about the food at the hotel. He is not at the hotel at the moment and asked that I respond in his absence and he looks forward to catching up with you by phone.

We value our guests' comments and suggestions and use them to celebrate and recognize our hardworking staff as well as to make changes necessary to enhance the overall guest experience.

We will hopefully have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Nancy Helms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on June 9 - 12 for a conference. The staff was friendly but .... Our "special" conference rate was $190 without taxes and fees. The very same price available on the website. No special deal at all. One would think that with this price, wireless internet access would be included either in the room or the meeting room. But that is extra. Much extra. The gym was tiny, crowded, dirty and need of a major renovation. The halls on the floor I stayed (15th) were dirty. They desperately needed to be vacuumed but never saw that done. My room was a corner room facing the Interstate. Noisy but spacious. Once again the carpets were dirty. The restaurant was overpriced and unappealing.

Room Tip: Always ask for a corner suite. Do NOT get a room on the floor below the gym. Do not plan on eating...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
First of all thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your recent experience. The week of June 9th was exceptionally busy in the city and we were running a full house. I checked on the rates offered on line and as of June 3, we were selling $239 on June 9 and the 10th and 11th were closed, meaning there were no more rooms available. Please know the $190 rate you referenced was definitely a special rate!

I am sorry you were not pleased with the gym but I am pleased to report, as part of our continuous improvements, we will be relocating the gym and expanding it later this year! The hallway carpets and wallpaper have been replaced on every floor over the past 4 months so we are looking into why your floor was not perfect for your stay. I sincerely apologize for this.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you will try us again if your travels ever bring you back to Seattle.

Pleasanton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance over the weekend. Had two rooms reserved. They were able to give us connecting rooms at check-in and upgraded one of the rooms to a corner junior suite.
Nice clean and modern rooms. There is some freeway noise, but it is hard to have a quiet room in the city.
Beds were comfortable, my only request would be better pillows and towels.
We were able to walk downtown fairly quickly and easily.
Valet parking was great, they were always pretty quick to get us the car.
Next time though we might try staying somewhere closer to the market area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Renaissance. We are delighted we were able to play a significant role in ensuring you had a "Great time in Seattle"!

Thank you also for your comments about our Valet parking services. We are pleased that you found their service to be quick and efficient.

We appreciate your understanding that it is difficult to have a quiet room in the city but that the accommodations and location were comfortable and convenient.

We hope you will come back and see us again.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for most things in the city, I didn't have to get a cab anywhere, all walking distance, if you have a car it could be tough and expensive for parking.

The staff are all very friendly and willing to help.

The rooms are a nice size and comfortable, the AC works well and the bathroom has a good shower over the bath.

The Internet is a good speed although not free, the curtains are poor with limited blackout ability, and although the tv has enough channels to entertain the reception is poor so the picture constantly freezes making it almost Impossible to watch some channels, also, request a high floor away from the freeway, otherwise it could be very noisy? Aside from this the room was acceptable.

The room service was on time and the food nice, the breakfast buffet was very limited in what it had to offer, more choice is needed, the food on offer was of an average standard, I did not try the other available restaurants.

The gym was good with a great view, it was quiet when I went and is available 24hrs.

Check out was quick and easy, with no surprises.

Overall a nice average hotel, but I'd say a somewhat oberpriced experience. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor around the back, away from the freeway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
NHLovell, Director of Sales at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us! We are glad you found our staff to be friendly and the accommodations comfortable. We are also pleased you found our location to be central to all of Seattle's major attractions.

I am sorry the TV reception was not so good and will message you privately to find out which room you were in so we can remedy that immediately for future guests!

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We opted for the Renaissance Seattle as part of a recent conference and couldn't have been more pleased. The property is lovely, located conveniently and the staff (especially the bellmen/valets) are top-notch. The rooms are spacious, well-maintained and the view from the 28th floor (RView) is not to be missed. Definitely recommend this gem (complete with a concierge who left Paris for Seattle 24 years ago and hasn't looked back) in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Renaissance Seattle! We really appreciate the time you took to highlight your recent experience at our hotel. I will personally pass on your compliments to our bellman/valets and Jean-Paul, our French concierge or "Navigator Guide" as we refer to him in the world of Renaissance! We feel very lucky to have these individuals on our team.

I'm so glad you enjoyed RView on the 28th floor. We are preparing to launch our new seasonal menu and there are some delicious additions to be enjoyed! We hope you will come back and see us really soon.

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel for 1 night before leaving for a cruise the following day. We usually stay in Marriott related establishments because of the quality, amenities and customer service that we receive. This was a different experience for us because of the freeway noise.
When we checked into our room, the air conditioner was going, which isn't unusually from our experience in hotels. We were only in our room long enough to drop off our luggage and then left to find some place to eat. Our goal was the Pike Market Place near the pier. Note: It's a LONG walk to the market place (and steep streets in some areas), so unless your mobility is good, I would suggest taking a taxi. After several hours we went back to our room.
Ready to relax for the evening, we decided to turn off the air conditioner. To our surprise, the noise from the freeway was really loud. We checked the window (10th floor) and it would not seal completely. There was no way I was going to get any sleep with this noise. We called the front desk and reported our problem. I was informed that there were no other rooms available (Memorial Day weekend), but they would see if they could accommodate us. Finally, we were switched to a room on the 5th floor. Unfortunately, the same freeway noise problem existed. We kept the air conditioner on all night to drown out the noise. Would I stay here again? Don't know. Double pane windows, that seal tightly, would be nice to avoid this situation.

Room Tip: IF, you even decide to stay here, I would request a room away from the freeway side of the building...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for your loyalty to Marriott and Marriott related brands. We agree that the benefit of staying in a Marriott brand is that you know what you can expect.

I am sorry you were inconvenienced by the freeway noise and that we were unable to relocate you to a more suitable room due to our sold out status. There are some who find the highway noise unpleasant and there are plans to replace the windows at the end of the year as part as our continuous improvement efforts.

As far as location is concerned, we are right in the middle of downtown - situated between Pioneer Square/Century Link Field to the south of us and Pike Place Market to the North of us. For those who find walking back to the hotel after a day of shopping and sightseeing a little strenuous, there is a number 12 bus that conveniently stops in front of Pike Place Market and drops you off right in front of the hotel.

We hope if your travels bring you back to Seattle you will give us another try. We would love to welcome you back.

Pahrump, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Finding a parking spot in downtown Seattle is impossible. We parked in the structure under the hotel and took the parking ticket to the front desk thinking that they would validate it. Instead they charged us a huge parking fee. Importantly, be careful and check for extra charges. They charge for items you use in the room and they charged us for bottled water that we didn't use. Wi-Fi is not complimentary. In fact, not much of anything is complimentary. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and she put us in a high room overlooking the Sound so the view was wonderful. The concierge service is excellent.
The location of the hotel is convenient to a lot of city attractions. We walked just a few blocks to a nice restaurant. The Pike Place Market is less than a mile away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Renaissance Seattle. We are pleased you enjoyed the beautiful view of the Puget Sound from your guestroom and that our Front Desk and Concierge gave you a warm welcome and provided excellent service. We love to hear such positive comments about our staff.

Regarding parking, I'm afraid parking in downtown Seattle is expensive but our pricing is in line with other properties downtown. I trust the charge for bottled water was removed from your folio at checkout and apologize for this mistake. If that is not the case, please let me know and we will be sure to reverse the charge.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again!