“Helpful staff, but noisy room”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The hotel was very full when I checked in, and they could only offer me a room overlooking the freeway. With the windows closed, we heard every car, siren and noise from outside which was a big disappointment. Charging extra for water and wifi is also a shame. Breakfast was OK, very helpful waiting staff. Gym was a bit of a let down, too small and warm with not enough equipment. A jacuzzi or pool would have been nice too. Hotel is very close to the CBD but a good 15 minute walk to Pike Place and that side of town.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank speedbird1984
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and your comments.
I do appreciate all your great comments about our staff and our service. We pride ourselves in our service, and I am sorry that we were not able to give you a room on the more quiet side of the building.
While we are about 15 minutes away from the Market we are that much closer to Pioneer square and the stadiums.
Again thank you for your comments and I look forward to have you back with us real soon.

Rene Neidhart

Write a ReviewReviews (1,941)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed 2 nights, booked on line via hot-wire. Friendly staff at reception made us feel welcome. Room on 6th floor faced east to the freeway. Thought we would be bothered by freeway noise but that was not the case. The room (619) also fronts the elevator lobby but we heard no noise from it either. Room appears to have been recently upgraded. Nicely appointed, decent size and very clean. Room had 2 queen beds with good linen. The beds could have been a bit firmer for one of us. Only complaint for the bathroom was the towels were a bit thread bare otherwise the room is nicely finished.
Room did not come with free wi-fi but it is free in the lobby. Close to $14/day for access is a bit steep. Once signed in at the lobby the access works in the room (free for that day). We have stayed here in the past and will again. Also liked the elevator finishing and there never was a wait for one to arrive.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ted M

Thank you very much for staying with us and your great review.
I do appreciate all your great comments about our staff and our service. Indeed all of our rooms have been renovated recently as well as the elevators.
Again thank you for your comments and I look forward to have back with us real soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed here for a conference as well. Its about a 10 minute walk to the convention center, but as a Marriott loyalist, I gave it a shot. I had reserved an Executive room as I had several meetings to conduct. Unfortunately, I was not given an Executive room as the hotel was overbooked. The room I did receive was on the east side directly above the freeway. I'm not sure if there is anything the hotel can do to limit the noise factor as they already have double pane windows, but it is pretty loud in the evening. But the room itself was in nice condition, typical of what you would expect from a good Marriott property. I did have an issue with someone smoking on my floor. I thought it was a non-smoking floor or hotel, but I could smell the smoke just about 10PM each evening. And due to the noise of the freeway, opening a window wasnt an option.

I have read issues about the elevators in other reviews. I also had an elevator breakdown while there which delayed my departure from the building by 10 minutes as I had to walk down from the top to the botttom to make my meeting offsite due to the booking mishap with my room. Small detail but memorable.

If you read my reviews I grade the gym as well. Nice view! Good for cardio with about 5 machines, the weights are decent at best. Circulation is tough in the small room as well.

I will agree that the customer service was very good at the hotel and this is what I remember most. Great staff. Doors opened, greetings extended, and upon my departure the staff made sure my room rate was reduced due to their error.

All in all, I would probably stay here again due to my Gold status with Marriott but I will likely explore other options as well. For those attending a conference and having status with other hotels, I can say the Sheraton is directly across the street and a very nice property, and I passed the Hilton on my way each morning. I'll be back in Seattle in October and may look at these options depending on future reviews between now and then.

Room Tip: I would assume the West side is quiter, away from the freeway. Make sure you get a non smoking floo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for staying with us and your comments.
I do appreciate all your great comments about our staff and our service. I am sorry that we did not have the proper room available for you. I am looking in to the reason why that might have happen.
I can assure that all the elevator issues have been resolved as we just finished our modernization project. One of our future projects is the relocation and enlargement of the health club.
Again thank you for your comments and I do hope that you will be back with us on your next trip to Seattle.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was staying here solely for the conference I was attending. The room was decently appointed and the bathroom was cleaner than most. The on-site facilities (dining, spa, etc) left a lot to be desired. I would have given this hotel a 3/5, but bumped it up based on hotel staff. The front desk staff, concierge, and valet attendants were phenomenal. Everyone was very helpful and accomodating. Other reviews are very accurate when they mention this hotel is at the top of the city near the expressway....I walked to Pike Place Market daily and you better be prepared to hike back! All in all, a decent stay, but I would like to try other locations more central next time I visit.

Room Tip: If you can, request a room on the opposite side of the freeway.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marie B
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your great comments about our service.
I am sorry you were not entirely satisfied with our dining options. We do have 3 restaurants and lounges, more than most other hotels. You also made mention about a spa experience. While we do have an exercise facility on the 28th floor , we do not have a pool/spa in the traditional sense.
In any case I do want to thank you again for your great comments about our employees and please do come back.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Spacious, modern, clean, allowing you to enjoy the very nice interior design and layout of the room and hotel.

Got the room through priceline.com. Word of warning once you have paid for the rooms that is it - the money is spent and there is NO opportunity for a refund - none - zilch. We reserved 2 nights only to find out we needed to get home a day earlier. bummer since we got such a good deal ($101 for a $250+/night room) I didn't feel too ripped off .

Room Tip: there are rooms that offer more of a view than others - i.e. mountains, space needle
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drn6
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for your great comments about our hotel.
Our rooms are indeed well furnished and spacious, and we appreciate when our guests tell us that they are clean.
Again thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again when you come back to Seattle.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We spent one night at the Renaissance Seattle when in town for a concert, and enjoyed our stay. We got a good rate, and then were upgraded upon check-in. Our room turned out to be a large corner suite on a high floor. The view was very interesting - lots to look at on the streets far below and in the surrounding buildings. Our room was not on the freeway side, and we experienced no noise issues. The decor is dated, but it seemed that the bathroom had been refurbished recently. Everything was clean and in good working order. Overall an enjoyable stay, if you can get a reasonable rate and secure a room that's not right above the freeway.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your review.
Your pictures represent very well the view you can find from our hotel, this is one of the advantages of being just a bit away from the downtown core, yet still only a ten minute walk to Pike Place Market.
Again thank you and please come back real soon.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Noise is a real issue unless you are facing west. Rooms are dated and very small. Restaurant was closed due to a private event so the only option for lunch was the bar with a very limited menu. Staff was really friendly - but the property needs work.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Arthur R

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments.
I appreciate your nice comments about our staff and service.
We are continuously upgrading our hotel and have renovated all of our guest rooms and corridors over the last three years. This year we renovated all of our elevators and this fall we will build a new health club and give our lobby a new look.