“Great hotel”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Don't understand the bad reviews for this hotel. Spent 2 nights here last weekend. Booked through Priceline and got a decent rate. I've stayed at this hotel before and was put in a room on the side of the building facing the highway. Found it a bit loud so called ahead and requested a king room on the quiet side of the building. Check in was quick and my request was granted. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were very friendly and helpful suggesting restaurants and things to do in the area. The lobby bar offers great drink specials every night and we took advantage of them before heading out for the evening. It is a bit of a walk to the main shopping district and pike place market but we enjoyed the exercise. Ask the valets for the route to take if you dont like hills, they were very helpful. I'd definitely give this hotel a solid 4/5. My rating would be higher if parking wasn't such a ludicrous price ($38/night) and wifi was included in the rooms. I feel that a hotel with a 4* rating should not be charging for wifi and passing on a bit of a better parking deal to guests at the hotel would go a long way. The extra 38 bucks a night just to park a vehicle is a tough pill to swallow, basically 30% of the room cost! I would definitely consider the Renaissance for my next trip to Seattle.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you very much for visit and your nice review. I do appreciate your great comments about our bar, drinks and our staff. Parking is expensive in Seattle like in any other major city, because parking spaces are a premium and we have to contract with two outside lots when our in house garage is full. If we did not charge for parking we would have to increase the room rate for all guests even those that do not utilize the service. Our rates are very much in line with all downtown hotels.
Again, thank you, and please come back real soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booked this hotel using Hotwire which has delivered before. Unfortunately this time, we were stuck with the Renaissance Hotel. The hotel claims to be in the "Pike Place" market area. While it is close, I would consider it to be the furthest hotel within the district. The area is deserted and lacking when it comes to things to do, places to visit, shopping, and restaurants worth going to. It may be noteworthy that this "4 star hotel" does not have a pool or a hot tub. They do not supply house coats, and charge $40/ day in parking fees. Need Internet for your business trip? Well that's extra too. Want coffee in the morning? Our coffee maker didn't even work. Spend the extra few dollars and stay at the Sheraton.. You'll love it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much fo staying with us and for your comments.While we are a bit further away from the market, we are halfway between Pioneer Square/ the stadiums and Pike Place Market. A lot of our guests find that to be just the right location.
While we do not have a pool we do have amenities that other hotels do not have like the roof top lounge on the 28th floor with a great view over the city and life entertainment every Thursday night.
I am sorry that your coffee maker was broken. Had we known we would have either replaced it or given you free coffee in our lobby bar.
I hope you will reconsider and give us another chance on your next trip to Seattle.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here mid-week for a business trip. I didn't have any of the noise issues many of the other reviewers had, but I was facing the library and not the freeway. The hotel room was quiet, very clean and peaceful. One of the first things I noticed when I walked in the room was how clean it smelled. I stayed on the 6th floor, so my view wasn't anything special, but the windows were large and it was nice to have the morning sunlight come in and help wake me up. The hotel is at the top of one of Seattle's very steep hills, so if you have issues walking you may want to take note. I loved that everything was within walking distance and my legs got a good work out. You may want to take a cab if you are lugging luggage up from a bus stop or light rail station. The parking garage was probably the tightest space I have ever parked in, so if you have a giant SUV you may have some issues. I drive a newer outback and I managed to find a spot next to a motorcycle spot that allowed me to open my door wide enough to get out. It was secure and nice to have nearby, but very tight.
I only ate one meal at the on site restaurant. I had breakfast and it was delicious and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for staying with us and your great review.
Parking is an issue in Seattle as in any city, especially with an oversized SUV it might become difficult.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and hope you will be back.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

stayed one night here, price line bid. very pleased with hotel, staff very friendly. good location yes you do have to walk to the market but not that far and avoiding the hills is easy to do! very comfortable room and bed on 20th floor facing water. quiet with a very good nights sleep. breakfast very good and again awesome service!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and your great review.
We love to hear that you had "awesome" service and hope you will be back real soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed the night wanting something near downtown, Pike's market and the Space Needle. It is a the top of the hill and next to I 5 which could be heard in our room. Nice hotel and decor. We wanted to walk around the area but were not expecting the steep climbs.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and your nice comments about our hotel and decor.
One tip for your next visit. Approaching the hotel from 6th avenue makes it easier than walking up Madison street.
Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The hotel was very nice, the concierge was extremely helpful, location was great, but wi-fi was terrible, disconnecting continuously, requiring repeated and daily logins. Completely unacceptable for a business traveler.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your visit and your review.
I do appreciate your great comments about our concierge service and our location.
We pride ourselves in our staff service and staff attitude. I am sorry and concerned about your wifi comments. Connectivity and band with is not one complaint we get often. We are upgrading our system this summer but in the meantime I will check our network.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I believe this is a great hotel that is about 7 blocks from the water front and 4-5 from Swedish medical. The number 10/12 bus runs on Madison between the medical center to the ferry dock so it is easy to get up and down the hill. The hotel offers several eating choices as well. Also it is one of the few Seattle downtown hotels that has an indoor pool. The rooms are nice and the staff are very professional.

Room Tip: Try for the SW direction and on a good day you can see the mountain.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Rene N, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and your great review. Our location in relationship to the hospitals is one of the best in the city for sure, especially with the bus stop being right outside the hotel. I am sorry that I have to contradict you in regards to the pool. We do no longer have a pool as we closed it several years ago. We are indeed one of the few hotels that offer several food and beverage options and thank you for recognizing the professionalism of our staff.
Hope to see you back soon.