“Improved from My Past Experience”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #48 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Crownsville, Maryland
“Improved from My Past Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed at the Ren Seattle on Madison quite a few times (perhaps five) over the past decade. While I would not count it among the best hotels I have stayed at, it is also certainly not the terrible place many of the reviewers have made it out to be. The public facilities and rooms have definitely been renovated of late, the service from the staff is notably good, and the view from the lounge on the 28th floor is hard to beat. It is not a value hotel by any means but it is a good example of a full service hotel in the middle of a large city. The only thing I would ding it on (and this is no fault of the hotel or its staff) is that you had better like to walk up hills. This hotel is at a high point in the city.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the side away from the freeway. There is less noise, but on a sunny day the downsid...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for coming back to our hotel and for your nice review. I am glad that you felt that we were able to improve since your last visit. We take the comments left on this site very serious and work with our staff to improve the overall guest experience.
While we are on top of a slight hill, this gives us the advantage of having this great view from R view our roof top lounge.
Again thank you and please come back to visit us.

Rene Neidhart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Got a great rate via priceline express deals for a 4Star hotel, although when it said 'wifi in the room' i should have not assumed it was free. like all mariotts, they nickel and dime you. $14 per day for wifi. $38 for parking since the doorman said he "wasn't sure my SUV would fit" in self-prk. he did say he would charge me the self parking rate of $32, however i was billed for the full $38 PLUS $8 parking tax!!! the room was actually a suite, and albeit low on towels, and sticky doorhandle, it was decent. the noise from the freeway below could be offputting, however it was consistent enough to be considered white noise, and probably disguised any other noises. the staff was pleasant. i prefer to be a couple blocks down the hill for walkability purposes, but the location was good. the hotel is 100% non-smoking , a plus.

Room Tip: rooms higher up and on the west side might be quiter due to the freeway noise on the east side. self...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience with us.
I am sorry that you felt we were nickel and diming you. Parking charges are expensive in Seattle because like in your case when a car does not fit in our garage we have to park offsite and we have to pay for parking in an outside garage, adding the labor cost for the valet and the insurance this becomes an added expense. The same applies to the internet fees. This year alone we will spend over $250.000 in additional infrastructure costs to insure we have enough bandwidth to provide the service expected by our guests.
I do apologize however for the incorrect charges to your account. I will contact you separately to insure that we have refunded you the difference.
I hope that you will return to visit us on your next visit to Seattle.

Sincerely

Rainier, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Judging from the other Poor and Terrible reviews of this property, I am not alone in my comments. We stayed here because the conference we were attending was at this venue, and we felt we had no choice. Having lived in Seattle for a number of years, I am familiar with many of its quirks and foibles, so was prepared to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt. It could have been worse, but not by much. As others have mentioned, the sound[proofing, window-glazing and general comfort of the rooms is very poor. Although we prepaid for a "bay-view" (it's not a bay, its a Sound) room, there were "none available" when we arrived. Even though checkout time is noon, none of the "bay-view" rooms were available, primarily because the airline crews that were staying there had late evening departures (particularly Etihad). The front-desk clerk, Tonya, did not seem to be able to manage her computer, and had to keep asking her fellow clerk for help. We finally were given a room - on the north side, facing Interstate 5. Noisy! One of the three windows in the room (the only one with any decent view) was frosted-over with something. The (minimal) towels in the bathroom were thin and coarse. The faucet in the sink had an abysmally small flow. Actually, I'm glad we didn't get a "Bay-view" room, because about 70% of the view from the rooms facing the Sound (even as high as the 28th floor) are obstructed by high-rise office and apartment buildings that are between the hotel and the water. All-in-all, an unpleasant visit to the Emerald City.

Room Tip: Don't stay here (unless you get a really good deal!)
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your stay at our hotel and for your review.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience. From the description of your room, you were upgraded to a corner king with a view of the city. I am not sure when you checked in but all Emerites airline rooms you were referring to check out at 2pm and the rooms should have been available at the 4pm check in time. I am sorry if your room was not ready at that time.The reason we refer to the view as a “bay view” is because you actually have a view of Elliott Bay which is the body of water that is visible from the hotel. Indeed the city is between us and a large part of the bay, but that is some of the charm of a downtown high rise hotel. I am however going to check the room to insure we fix the problem with the sink.
Again I do apologize for not being able to give you the experience you were looking for, but please contact me when you return to Seattle so I can insure that you have a pleasant stay with us.

Gig Harbor Wa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance in February while attending a conference being held there.

I can’t really say anything bad about it but I would not choose to stay there again.
If you want to visit Seattle for pleasure there are better hotels closer to the most of the attractions.
This is not what I would call a luxury hotel just another sterile MacHotel in a big city.

The rooms were clean and the staff was awesome.

Parking of course was outrageous but all the downtown hotels have pricy parking.
We did have a room overlooking the freeway but the noise didn’t bother any of us and we didn’t hear any noise from the other rooms.

My biggest complaint was the elevators, there are 28 floors in this hotel and they never seemed to have more than two elevators operating. I was on the 9th floor and ended up using the stairs most of the time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience with us. I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed our service and our clean rooms. I am sorry that you experienced a problem with the elevators. We did have one elevator under renovation during your stay and with a large convention in house we did have a few days were the service was slower than usual. At this point all the elevators are brand new and back in operation.
I do hope that this experience will not deter your from coming back. Please contact me personally and I will insure that you have a great experience

Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Modern, clean, very friendly staff. Excellent location to explore all of Seattle central by foot (provided you are reasonably fit and don't mind walking up the hill a bit). My king room was well appointed, nice bath, spacious enough for one person. Overlooked the interstate freeway "canyon" below and despite being on the 14th floor, traffic noise funneled up noticeable for a steady 24-hour droning. Still, for a tad over a hundred per night over the weekend it was good value and positive experience. Little tourist tip: walk five blocks down to the water front to pier 52 and catch the public ferry to Bremerton for a 2-hour round trip cruise through the bay and inlets and a gorgeous view of the Seattle skyline ($7.70 fare!). Bainridge Island ferry also at pier 52 for a 70-minute round trip. Check Washington Ferries website for schedule.

Room Tip: if possible, stay away from the freeway side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Renaissance is conveniently located just off I-5 and within walking distance to many restaurants and shops, but it is noisy because of the highway traffic. This did make it difficult to shut out and get to sleep. The rooms are comfy, but I had issues with my thermostat not working. Apparently they all work off of batteries and if the batteries die, the fan just runs and runs. I had to call maintenance to come fix it. The staff are very friendly and it is nice that there was an option to self park and not just valet. Good hotel, just not great.

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing the highway...it may be quieter
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed a couple days for a short weekend getaway in a city that I've come to love for the endless downtown discoveries. Hotel stay was lovely - greeted at the curb by a friendly doorman who directed us to the parking garage with pricing and procedures; checked in by pleasant staff, who despite the fact that we were Hotwire customers, were attentive to our needs; room was nice and bed was comfortable. Got legs? You'll need them to hike up and down the hills to the conveniences and attractions in the city because the formerly free downtown bus service has been discontinued.

Room Tip: Rooms on the freeway side are noisy if you have your window open.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your last trip to Seattle.
We do appreciate your nice comments about our doorman, the rest of our staff and our attentive service. We hope you will return on your next visit.

Best Regards