1,151 results
All reviews shared bathroom pike place market great location small fan no air conditioning private bath two blocks small elevator space needle clawfoot tub budget hotel european style an older hotel westlake station light rail street noise queen bed
Reviewed September 17, 2006

Is it spartan and dated: charmingly yes! So for the traveler who appreciates a clean, classic hotel in a prime, downtown Seattle location, this is for you. We've twice chosen the Moore for a pre-cruise stay with our kids in a suite of two conjoined rooms seperated by the bathroom.

It's right downtown, so there is typical noise from trucks/sirens; but the beds were comfortable and showed no sign of bugs as others claimed. My only caution is to use the same ordinary caution outside as you would in any urban area after dark. The staff is incredibly cool, accomodating and provide free internet access in the lobby to check email, etc.

I have recommended this hotel to like minded frugal friends and look forward to the next time we visit Seattle for another stay at the Moore.

• Stayed: August 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank gitchigammi
Reviewed September 16, 2006

Despite the fact that this could be a very cool hotel, the place sucks. The front desk, one of the nights we were there, was run by one of the rudest people I have ever met. I will not name him, but when we had a problem with our room, he was extremely rude and would not hear our issue. Very, very dissapointed.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank hudbug
Reviewed September 6, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here from Sept 2-5. We usually stay at the Springhill Suites Marriott, but decided to go the budget route. A co-worker recommended this hotel knowing I wouldn't mind the lack of amenities (bring your own soap etc.), or the poor shape it's in. I have to say I wish I'd stretched the budget.

The first night was fine, likely because we were drunk when we went to bed so we didn't notice anything.

The second night I was pulling down the covers and crawling around on my pillow were 2 BED BUGS! I had booked 2 beds for more space so we thoroughly inspected the other bed and slept in that one.

The next morning we saw another bed bug crawling around on the wall next to the bed we just slept in. We took our dead bed bugs downstairs and spoke with Mike (the manager). He was apologetic and claimed this was the first he'd heard of bed bugs in the Moore. We were booked to stay a third night, but were planning on going elsewhere. Mike said he'd help us out with the bill and find us another room so we decided to stay.

The third night we came back at around 2ish. The night guy assigned us a new room on the 5th floor. We dragged everything to the new room, inspected the beds, unpacked, returned the other key and went back upstairs to finally go to sleep. As I pulled down the covers to go to bed I saw another bed bug crawling along the sheets. This time when we killed it it exploded with blood so it had obviously made a meal out of someone.

We packed up all of our belongings again, called a cab, checked out (at 3:30am), and went to stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

This place is a nightmare! (and I'm not even a squeamish person)!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
14  Thank steeny123
Reviewed August 28, 2006

The best part of the hotel was the staff. I enjoyed sitting in the lobby watching the goings on. Interesting and nice people.
They have a computer set up in the lobby for you to use as you wish for free. I was able to check emails.

I booked the hotel because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. I was prepared for anything. I booked it because I did not want to spend 170 and up for an overnight before a cruise.

You enter a small lobby with a few chairs to comfortably sit in, and one person working at the desk. A 2nd person is usually in the office next to the desk. Check out when parking is free on the streets before you pay 10 dollars for about 10 hours of parking in the lots. I think we could have saved 10 dollars if we read the signs.

They are extremely nice and helpful. I can not say enough about how much I enjoyed them.

You then take an elevator to your floor. When the elevator door opens, you start to giggle. "I can't believe I booked this hotel".
I hope you have a sense of humor, or don't expect much. Expect the worst for ambience.

The hotel is old. Very old. The walls have been painted over in a very dark color, along with almost black colored carpeting in a wide hallway. You get the feeling of entering an old dormitory at an old, and I stress OLD, school .

You walk down the depressing hall to the door (which has one real key even if you have 4 people in the room). You leave the key at the front desk when you leave if others might need it to get in.

We stayed in a 2 queen bed room. There were 4 of us.
The bed was comfortable enough. The decor was 1944 bland.

There was no place to put anything down in the bathroom, like a counter. The toilet was so close to the wall on its left that your butt hit the wall if you sat down. You had to sit more to the right. The flusher hit the wall, so they cut a hole in the wall to be able to flush the toilet. The shower was fine. Fat people could not use the facility here. Not in my room.

There is no screen in the window and no air conditioning. We left the window open all night (birds could have flown in as there were many), and traffic noise went on. I had no problem sleeping, but others could not stand the sound of traffic. I was exhausted and crashed with no problem.

Staying near Pikes Market means you are in the run down part of town. I would prefer to stay in a nicer section. I did not realize how scary it could be.You are literally a 5 minute walk from the Market, and a block or 2 further to the waterfront.
It is all downhill, so remember you need to walk back up again.

During the day it was ok. We walked past a lot of scary people. I would not go out at night. I did get up earlier than the rest of the group, and since I had no place to watch tv without disturbing them, I went downstairs. They told me there was a McDonalds that opens at 630am. I walked there. about 3 blocks.I met all the drunks in recovery while I bought my coffee. Starbucks opens at 7.

I brought the coffee back to the hotel and sat in the lobby, comfortably reading until about 930 when others got up.

Seattle seems to be the most expensive city in the country.
I don't think you will be murdered if you stay here, but I think I would prefer to stay at the airport the next time I overnight for a cruise. Or in a nicer neighborhood.

If you walk in the opposite direction from your hotel you come to a really nice (expensive) section with Nordstroms, and all sorts of expensive fancy stores. A nice area. Way too expensive to stay there.

There is a steak house across from the hotel (on the corner) that I really wish I had a chance to visit. It was Argentina beef and I remember that being awesome when I had it in the old days. I bet it is good.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank lynnpr
Reviewed August 21, 2006

No frills, but clean, unique, and in the city center. The Moore Hotel is in an old building with a marble entryway and lobby. We stayed in rooms with private bathroom inside the rooms, but "European" style shared bath rooms are also available. The rooms we stayed in had wooden doors, and the bathtubs inside had "feet" like old-style bathtubs, though these also had shower connections.

The rooms were clean and well-maintained, though there was no air conditioning. Windows open onto the street, which means that there's some noise from the street. Staff was friendly and willing to answer questions about things to do in the city.

We compared notes with some folks staying at a local youth hostel and found that our private rooms in the Moore Hotel were about the same price. Since this is one of the least expensive places to stay in the city, I would recommend it to anybody looking for budget accomodations with old-style character. Most of the major tourist attractions in downtown Seattle are within walking distance. We found the neighborhood to be safe.

There's a single free Internet terminal in the lobby for those wanting to check their e-mail.

Stayed: August 2006