“Don't stay for the hotel - stay for the location”
Review of Moore Hotel

Moore Hotel
Ranked #52 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed August 17, 2005

Make no mistake - the Moore is pretty much a dump. Its old and any improvements/repairs all look completely half baked. However, everything was functional, the price was not bad ($91 plus tax for two queens and a roll away), and I thought the location was perfect for us - close to Pikes Place market (can buy anything), the Waterfront (Bainbridge Ferry/shops, seafood restaraunts), Belltown (pubs/clubs), and the Monorail for a trip to the Space Needle area. I thought Seattle was great - plenty of specialty shops, restaraunts, coffee shops, pubs, and clubs, plus the water. Loved it.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Oregon
Reviewed August 16, 2005

The Moore was exactly what we were looking for--low cost but right in downtown Seattle. The across the street parking lot was expensive--about $18/day--but even when you combine the parking with what we paid for our room, it's still less than any other hotel downtown. From where we were we walked everywhere, even to a Mariner's game.

The room was clean and small to medium size. Our room had a view of the public market and the Puget Sound. For some reason half the channels on the TV didn't come in very well. I liked the character of an older hotel. We chose the "bathroom down the hall" option and we never had a problem having to wait to get into the shower, etc. If you are looking for luxury, it's not for you. But if you are looking for a reasonable price combined with the perfect location, the Moore is the best you'll find.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

I consider the Moore Hotel a good deal for downtown Seattle. The location is very close to the harbour and the piers. Although the neighbourhood is not the best, I never felt unsafe.

The room was clean enough but the lamp did not have a lamp shade. The closet smelled of moth balls or disinfectant. Unfortunately, I had to change rooms after two days although I made my reservation a long time in advance.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank Reinhard H
Reviewed August 3, 2005

I stayed here last month and was terribly disappointed. After reading several great reviews about the Moore on tripadvisor, I decided that this might be the best place to stay in Seattle for a great price. I ended up spending $69 a night, which is a steal for downtown Seattle. However from the moment I pulled up I soon realized why it was so cheap.

First of all, it is in the ghetto part of DT Seattle. There are only about 2 blocks which I would consider "bad", and The Moore is situated right there in the middle of the bad part of town.

Second of all, we were taken back by the strong smell of pine sol when we entered our room. After leaving for the evening and returning to our room, we discovered why the pine sol scent was so strong----it was masking the smell of urine in our room!!! I believe that the cleaning people tried to get rid of the urine smell by bombarding our room with cleaning supplies. I tried to air out the room,but the noise from the street down below made it unbearable to get a good night's sleep.

Last but not least, no one said anything to me when I booked the room that there would not be any parking. I understand that most hotels downtown have paid parking, but the Moore had nothing. I had two options: 1) Leave my car on the street in the middle of the ghetto(which even the front desk was a bad idea) or 2) pay a parking garage $40 a day.

My suggestion to anyone considering the Moore: If you want the low price, stay outside of DT since you will have to pay for parking anyways, or break the bank and stay at a nicer place!

Oh yeah- our sheets were dirty too!

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank <3_luv_2_travel
Reviewed July 29, 2005

great, practical hotel at an outstanding price. walking distance to so much. great, friendly staff. again, great price for great location. room is simple, bathrooms with claw feet tubs!

I'll definately visit again!!

Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank symphonie
Reviewed July 18, 2005

I'm forever a Washingtonian -- born and raised there. But I had never stayed in downtown Seattle before in the 25+ years I resided in Western Washington. So, on our most recent trip to see family, my husband and I decided to stay downtown for a night and take in the usual tourist sights. (Space Needle, Pike Place, Westlake and the Monorail, etc.) I had seen the coupon for 10% off the price of the Moore in the Visitor's packet I got earlier in the year and had wondered if it was a good place or not. Then I saw the reviews on here and though they were mostly great reviews, I still wondered....but decided to take a chance.

Well, I am happy to say it was great! We had no trouble finding it off of I-5.
It's uphill from the Pike Place Market, but most things are, so if you're walking wear some comfortable shoes. We walked everywhere and it was great. You really get to take in the feel of the city that way.

Our room was on the 7th floor, excellent view of the water and the ferries! The staff was great, very helpful and courteous. The shower water pressure was good and the room smelled clean, not musty or dirty. It was nice that we could open the windows. I noticed a few people here said the noise was bad and the walls were thin but I did not notice a thing. I enjoyed hearing the noise of the city, we kept our windows open all night. But I think if you wanted your windows closed it would have been plenty quiet. We felt completely safe there.

Our only complaint would be about the parking, not so much the price because we knew that we would have to pay, but the convenience. The open lot accross the street was not clearly labeled as to if you could park overnight? We opted to park in the locked garage next door to it, overnight. $15. Note that if you are leaving early in the morning as we were, they don't open their doors to let you get your car until 8 a.m. But this doesn't have much to do with the hotel - so I'm not holding it against them or this review.

We plan to stay here again next time we visit friends and family! Truly a hidden gem...

• Stayed: June 2005
13  Thank FormerIslander
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 1, 2005

After scouring the web for an inexpensive hotel in downtown Seattle, I came across the Moore Hotel on tripadvisor. I was surprised by all of the positive reviews it had, because I hadn't come across it on expedia, orbitz, etc. I was a little skeptical but stayed there for 3 nights in June. After my experience staying at the Moore, I felt that I definitely had to post a review. For anyone who's a little weary about how reliable on-line reviews are, the Moore Hotel will not disappoint. My room was huge, clean, and as a single female traveler, I felt completely safe. The location is unbeatable--just 2 short blocks from Pike Place Market. And I still can't believe how inexpensive it was. Awesome hotel. Would definitely stay there again if I ever go back to Seattle.

• Stayed: June 2005