“An honest review of the Moore Hotel”
Review of Moore Hotel

Moore Hotel
Ranked #48 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Chicago, Illinois
“An honest review of the Moore Hotel”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I wanted to love the Moore Hotel, and for the most part I really did- especially for the price. However this hotel did have a few drawbacks.

Let's start with the positives. Location- brilliant. 1 block from Pikes Place with tons of shops, restaurants and of course the water. If you go 1 block the other way you are at the Seattle train which takes you right to the airport. A block further and you're in the shopping district with restaurants, stores, theaters and even the monorail which takes you to the Space Needle. This is the area to stay in Seattle. The price as I said can't be beat. If you are on in budget and want to save money to see the sights of Seattle, then this hotel is for you. The Moore is very clean and the staff are unbelievably friendly. I was greeted with a smile and hello each time I step foot in the door.

Now, being that this is an older hotel- there are a few issues that come with the age of the building. One problem I had was the noise from the streets. I had anticipated this while booking and requested a room on a higher floor to which they accommodated but I could still hear the street noise below fairly loudly, so this is just something to be aware of. Perhaps request a room on a quieter side of the building or a room not facing the street. The rooms, while small, are still cozy and the beds are pretty comfortable. I did not see a thermometer however, and the temperature in the room seemed to vary from night to night. My main issue however, but not a very big one, was in the bathroom. The ceiling appeared to be cracking which is just more of a cosmetic disturbance really- but the showers are far too old. Being a 6'1 male, it was very difficult and frankly uncomfortable for me to take a shower. The shower head is made for someone no taller than 5'5, so I had to literally squat down while showering. Also the water pressure was extremely weak and even when I had the water turned to hot.. it was merely warm at best.

Despite these (very small) issues I would still return to the Moore. The positives far outweigh the negatives, especially when you're goal is to simply enjoy the sights of Seattle and not spend the entire time lounging around a hotel room. I will recommend this to any of my friends who plan on staying in Seattle.

Room Tip: MUCH cheaper if you book through the hotel's website. Request a room up high to avoid street noi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
16 Thank KevRitch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Bridgeport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I spent about three nights here in June 2013. We had never been to Seattle before and wanted to make sure we were in a central location. The Moore Hotel fit the bill perfectly. From the Moore, it is an easy walk to Pike Place Market, restaurants, shops, and the monorail taking you straight to the Space Needle is only a few blocks away, easily walkable. It is also very close to a subway station that will take you straight to the airport. We did the walk with our luggage when it was time to leave and had no problems at all.

The hotel itself is a great value. The rooms are basic, but clean. The building itself has lots of character which adds a nice touch. For those of you who want more than your typical run of the mill chain, this place has your name on it. The service at the front desk was great when we checked in. Even though we got there late, they were cheerful and spent time talking to us about what we wanted to do in Seattle, and gave us some great suggestions as well.

So, to sum it all up, fantastic location, excellent value, friendly service. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Becky B
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed 5 nights over the New Year holiday.Great value. Excellent location. The room was clean and simple.The staff was super helpful, especially Tracy who helped my husband sort out our plane tickets when I got sick on our last day. If we ever visit Seattle again I would stay at the Moore and have already recommended it to friends who travel.Cute little coffee shop off of the lobby and a seriously funky but cool bar next door.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ginny R
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 10, 2013

A stayed at the Moore many years ago and thought it would be fun to revisit for a night. Both times I stayed in a “European” style room which means the shared toilets and showers are down the hall. The hallways have recently had a very stylish renovation which are very nice. The room I stayed in was still stuck in the 1990’s as far as furniture is concerned. My room was very large but sparsely furnished, which really didn’t bother me. The walk in closet is bigger than some of the rooms I’ve stayed in while in Europe. Think steamer trunk storage sized.

A large room is nice, but the much more important factor is the cleanliness of a hotel room and my room was spotless. The toiletries supplied were on the lower end, so if that matter to you, bring your own. The shared bathrooms were also very clean. They are locked and only the guests staying in the European style rooms have a key, so they aren’t used by the other guests.

The area could be considered sketchy, however I’m a single woman and I had no problem walking around during the day and early evening.

I only stayed for one night this time, but I could have stayed for much longer. This is a great, clean budget hotel which I highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank TravelingTrixieBelle
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I go to Seattle a lot and i can't believe it took me this long to stay at the Moore. The location is perfect - balanced between downtown and Belltown and a few blocks away from Pike Place Market. The hotel itself is historic and is fairly simple, but cozy. The people working there were very nice and helpful. My room had a private bathroom, but there were also rooms with shared baths. The room was basic, but clean and comfortable. The bathroom was fine, although the shower is not ideal for taller people, but that is my only (very minor) complaint. For the price, this place is terrific and i will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank drnorth
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night after a concert at Paramount theater.
his hotel is about 100 years old, and has a lot of character. The room has an actual key, which the front desk happily held for us while we were out on the town. (rather than run the risk of losing it!) The decor of the hotel was eclectic and charming.
We ended up parking about a quarter mile away because I wanted secure, covered parking. But I recommend calling ahead because the Moore may have parking which is closer.
The room was simple, with a bed, tv and a chair.
The bathroom was well updated and had brand new sink/fixtures and was very clean.
There was a clawfoot tub, and while it was cute, I did not like it. It was not balanced, and the tub wobbled. It was hard to keep the shower curtain from touching you. Finally, it is high off of the ground. Getting in and out of the tub would be difficult for elderly or anyone with physical limitation.
Overall, the hotel is very basic, but the price is good and it works just fine for an overnight stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kabul
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights based on the reviews from others. I am tired of standard "modern" hotels which all seem to be the same after a while and enjoy staying at locally owned not chain establishments whenever I can find them.

The Moore Hotel was not a disappointment. It is in a 8 story building which was constructed around 1910 or so. The ceilings are at least 14feet. The elevator can accomodate three folks with suitcases. My reservation was made directly thru the hotels website; my room was waiting for me when I arrived at almost midnight.

My room on the 7th floor was clean, and adequately funished. It was not fancy, but the flat screen tv worked; the bathroom was large, the shower was small. I had plenty of hot water.

What I enjoyed the most was the ability to open a window. I enjoy sleeping with a open window and in almost all other hotels, the windows are sealed. I was very suprised and slept like a log in the cool Seattle night..

The location cannot be beat, about two blocks from the major tourist area at Pike Market; two blocks from the nearest Metro (Light Rail) station t Westlake, and about a five block walk to the ferry terminal.

The hotel staff was friendly and knowledgable. The hotel has free wi-fi throughout and a public computer is avaliable in the lobby. Although they do not offer breakfast, they have a cafe in the lobby which serves coffee and small snacks.

All things considered, I do recommend this place for the traveler who is looking for a hotel with a little "character" and uniqueness. I would stay again if my travels allow me to return to the Seattle area.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 721, which was a single room, with in-suite bath on the 7th Floor, facing 2nd Avenu...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo