“Location, location, location!”

and 1 more site!
Moore Hotel
Ranked #50 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I chose this hotel based on other reviews on tripadvisor and I'm glad I did. I shared the room with three others for a conference and got a great rate. I paid $155 for four nights. The hotel is minutes from Pike's Place market and the waterfront and a 10 minute walk to the convention center. The room was simply decorated, there was cable, tv, and fan in the room, which was nice because the room tended to get warm. There is no hair dryer in the room if you care about things like that. The front desk staff was helpful as well. I also highly recommend that you try Moore coffeehouse which is adjacent to the hotel. They made the greatest drinks and awesome latte art. If you want a hotel in a great location for a reasonable price, check out Moore hotel.

Room Tip: We got a room with a private bath which I prefer.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank koolkat1825
Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Seattle is expensive, but there are a few cheap lodging alternatives. Most of them are tacky motels out by the airport, but the Moore is a nice no-frills option right downtown. It's at the corner of 2nd Ave. and Virginia, which puts you 2 blocks from Pike Place Market (and the original Starbucks), 2 blocks from Westlake Center (the original Nordstroms and the monorail to the Space Needle) and 2 blocks from the trendy Belltown neighborhood.
There may be rooms with bath. Floors with bath down the hall have separate loos for toilet and for shower. Facilities were old but clean.

Room Tip: 7th (top) floor rooms on 2nd Ave. side have view of Puget Sound over the bldg. across the st.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Roger T
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here in September of 2012. I know its been a while, but I am planning a weekend in Seattle this month and this was the first place that popped into mind. Our stay was very pleasant, I loved the bath tub and the vintage feel you get when you enter the building. It's not upscale by any means, but for the price and location, it is GREAT. We even got a voucher for parking that saved us money. I would definitely stay at the Moore again:)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Victoria A
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I thank previous reviewers for their helpful comments. Below I will just add my two-cents worth after a week's stay there recently.

1. The location is fantastic. Pike's Place is truly a short walk away. (Friendly advice for the non-athletic: walk a few blocks on 2nd avenue and go down to the market on Pike Avenue to avoid the steep downhill walk on Virginia or Stewart). By the way, the aquarium and Elliot's Oyster House can be gotten to through Pike's Place, via an elevator.
2. There is a City Target on Pike Avenue and 3rd, where you can get daily supplies such as paper goods and lotions -- at big city price, unfortunately.
3. Pay a little extra and book ahead for a suite. The unit that we stayed in was like a little apartment, with two refrigerators, a coffee maker, a microwave and even two small electric stove ranges (that heat up SLOWLY).
4. With a suite, you get a private bath. Here is one of the big minuses: there is a claw-foot bathtub in the bathroom, but nothing to stop the water with, so it seems to be set up for a shower. But the tub is only partially enclosed with flimsy shower curtains. On the cold days when we were there, I had to use only the hot water tap (and nothing from the cold water tap) for the temperature that I can stand, and the water flow was, as a result, minimal.
5. Also, the hotel is definitely old technology. Heating is by heat registers - yes, the clunky coiled tubings that you see in old buildings. Nothing wrong with them; and in fact the temperature in the suite was comfortable most of the time. The problem is that the management supposedly has the heat set on timer, and on the days when we were there, the heat did not come on until in the evening, and on two days it did not come on at all until I called.
6. The hotel is a short walk from the more swanky areas in downtown Seattle. But the immediate neighborhood is frankly suspect, at least currently. (Note: a high-rise apartment building is under construction just across the street). I have nothing against homeless people, but they do congregate on the street where the hotel is located, and there were times when I got a little nervous of being followed as I walk away from the hotel.
7. On the plus side: you can get down to Pike's Place and line up for a Russian pastry from Piroshky Piroshky. Keep it in the refrigerator and heat it up for 30 seconds in the micro the next day for breakfast or lunch. On the next block of Priorshky's is Pike Place Chowders - get the daily special and it heats up nicely also. Pick up some fruits and veggies from the market, and you have got yourself a healthy and relatively inexpensive meal.
8. The under-utilized Seattle light rail system is available. The "Westlake" station is just around the corner under Macy's, a couple of blocks from the hotel. Take a couple of stops (at $2 each way) to the International District. There, check out the Uwajimaya Asian store on 5th Avenue. It's a wonderland of Asian goods and produce. You can eat at the food court there, and pick up some neatly packaged meals that can be reheated in the micro.
9. The Benaroya concert hall is a few blocks away, as is the Art Museum. To splurge, you can dine at "Wild Ginger" before a concert.
10. A big minus - the lock to the room, a charming retro key, did give me pause about security. A couple of times while we were in the room, someone used a key to try to get in without knocking. When contacted, the front desk explained that the owner of the hotel was showing the hotel to visitors.
11. Another minus - there are smoke detectors, but no sprinklers. However, the fire exits are clearly marked and easy to get to, with outside fire escape stairways. Plus, the windows do open.
12. As others have mentioned: the room is clean, and the daily maid service is efficient.
13. The front desk is manned by one person, supposedly 24/7. A sign says no visitor is allowed for security reason, but I am not sure just how well enforced that is. The front desk persons were responsive to my requests. On the day of my arrival, I was given a room many hours before my check-in time, for which I am immensely grateful.
14. There is indeed only one small elevator, and I can see that if the hotel had been busier, it could become a congestion point. The staircase is usable, but the steps are rather steep.

To me, this hotel says "Old Seattle", loud and clear. Nothing fancy and nothing pretentious. I would stay there again, but I can see some people walking away with horror.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a suite.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank AGTraveller
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My family of four stayed at the Moore Hotel for 3 nights in October 2012 while planning to visit Seattle University and UW campuses. When checking for a hotel rate in downtown Seattle, I had found prices were outrageously high during the days we wanted to visit. For example, the Best Western near King's Station (Amtrak) was $343/night for a standard room! So when the Moore Hotel came up with something like $150/night, I came straight to Tripadvisor to check it out.

Overall, the reviews were like, "you get what you pay for." And that is what we found, too. I have to say, however, that I was a little nervous about having booked a room at the Moore as we walked with our luggage from the Amtrak Station to the hotel. I had planned to catch the light rail but saw that we were already on 2nd Avenue and the hotel about 7 or 8 blocks away, according to the map. What the map did not tell us was that it was uphill and did not show us every block. Shoot, the things I do to save $10.

Anyway, what made me nervous was that I had asked about a half-a-dozen people along the way who looked like locals if we were in the right direction of the Moore Hotel. Not one of them had heard of the place! We did find out while dragging our bags up that hill why hotel rates were so high that weekend: there was a UW vs. USC football game to be played in a few hours and the next day would be a Seahawks vs. Patriots NFL game, so the downtown area was abuzz, for sure.

Well, we found the hotel of course and it is just one steep block up from Pike's Market. It is an old establishment. The lobby is small, but clean and decorated in a mod-style. The woman at the front desk was very friendly, but was quick to point out that my two sons were teenagers and considered adults as far as the rates go, so we had to get a bigger room; there was nothing on the website that alerted us to this, even when we noted we were traveling with two children. That meant $20/night more, but that was still a good price. I think this front desk clerk was the one a previous reviewer remarked that you could not get anything passed from under her nose.

Right off the lobby was a small ancient elevator (just one car), but this added to the charm of the place. With bags we had to come up the elevator in pairs, it was so small. Our room was on the 6th floor and when walking through the wide, wood-paneled and maroon-carpeted hallways, it kind of reminded me of the Haunted House ride at the Disney parks. I guess the drapes and tiebacks that separated portions of the halls, and the candelabra-like light fixures made me think of that. Don't get me wrong, there were no spiderwebs or bugs. It was clean, well-lit, and looked recently renovated; it just had a lot of character. Cool.

The room was of a good size with high ceilings. It was clean and there was a large, albeit musty, walk-in closet. The two beds were a bit hard and not so comfortable, but the linens were of decent quality. There was a rather modest-sized tube T.V., but it worked fine and was not an issue that it was not a flat screen or small. But the bathroom was tiny, and that was somewhat of an issue. There was not much room to place toiletries on the sink and the shower stall was so small and the shower fixture too low for a person over 5' 8" or so. And it was so cold in there.

There was no a/c in the main room, but there was a heater in the floor, and I guessed it worked (we're from Hawaii, so we don't know much about heaters) because it would intermittently get very warm in the room (but not the bathroom), so we had to open up the window to cool the room down. This meant the area nearer to the window got cold while the rest of the room was warm. So at times there were like 3 different climates in the room.

Opening the window also meant all the antics of the drunks from the sketchy street behind the hotel came echoing into the room. There were also a lot of drunk young people in the hotel rooms, although the hotel did a pretty good job of making them be quiet after awhile. But we knew to expect all of that.

The hotel's location was great; like I had mentioned just a block from Pike's Market, but because of the busy weekend, it felt like Disneyland during Spring break. But we were still able to get seats at the bar at Pike's Chowder right before they closed at 5:00 p.m. and I had a spectacular seafood chowder sprinkled with champagne vinegar and served in a sourdough bowl. We also had a wonderful meal down the street from the hotel at the Virginia Street Inn (the mussels were so large and sweet and fresh--just memorable). The rail and Pacific Place shopping/entertainment mall is several blocks away and bus stops for the excellent bus service just about everywhere. A Catholic church is on the same block as the hotel so we attended Mass the Sunday we were there, so we did not have to go far to find a place of worship.

All said, the hotel was okay, but just a little creepy, architecturally speaking. I guess I mean that it is an old, creaky building with many stories to tell. My wife and I are usually sensitive to "unseen" things, but I cannot say I felt anything paranormal, but my wife said she did so we had to leave the walk-in closet light on. Needless to say, she and I did not sleep very well. One night my older son said he could not fall asleep and did not know why.

Was my wife's imagination getting the best of her? Was I anticipating too much? Well, the light in the closet did flicker every now and then. Was it the old wiring? Was it the open window? Who knows, but I have to say all this also added to the charm. But charm or no charm, I don't think we'd stay here again, unless the rates at other hotels were again so much higher.

There were some negatives we just could not ignore. The hotel had free wi-fi, but it was not reliable in the most obvious places like the room or in the lobby. Every several minutes or so the connection would freeze. For leisurely browsing, this is not a big thing, but when we wanted to get information about places to visit, bus and rail schedules, to reconfirm our flight reservations, etc., it got downright frustrating. However, during our last night there I found that right outside the elevator on our floor there was a wi-fi router up near the ceiling; and I saw that there was a long wooden bench close by. I put the two thoughts together and realized that I should sit on the bench for a better connection, and indeed there was one. But like I said, the place is a little creepy, and the bench hard, so I could not sit there for too long.

There were many street/homeless people around the hotel as well, and other unfortunates. While even in the city where I live there are also many such persons who have fallen on bad times, I also know that kind of an environment sometimes brings violence and unpredictable and criminal behavior. So since I have two kids to watch over, this is really not a place to stay while on vacation. It is best suited for the girls' or guys' weekend outing, or booze parties; certainly not for families. I think my kids were the only persons under 21 at the hotel.

There is an old stage theater on one side of the hotel, but where contemporary acts are booked; and an empty saloon/restaurant on the other side of the property. The hotel itself has a little coffee bar/snack shop, but we did not venture into it.

There was also a snooty front desk clerk. He was informative but a bit aloof and arrogant. After a heated conversation he had with some guests who apparently had too many people in their room the night before, he made a negative comment about them when they walked away. So my wife joined in and commented on all the noise she had heard also the night before. Then, this front desk clerk began to make excuses for the loud behavior and kind of made my wife embarrassed for talking about her fellow guests. What? He also was bold enough to suggest to me when I asked about dining options in the area that the Virginia Street Inn was too expensive and gourmet for us, while not knowing we had already dined there . But I guess maybe because we're staying at the Moore means we have unsophisticated tastes and are on a budget. Shoot, who isn't trying to save money? We were able to eat at Virginia Inn (and btw it was not that expensive) because we had saved on the hotel. I suppose one gets to be a bit edgy and biting when working in such an edgy and biting environment, but good customer service does not mean biting your guests heads off.

So it is so very true, you get what you pay for and I can't say anything had surprised us. Our stay at the Moore Hotel was not bad, especially when relatively considering the rates and knowing what to expect; but it was not great considering our many experiences at other properties. We have fun reminiscing about the hotel, however, as the place is a bit out of the ordinary, so we are glad we had a visit there. But our family's final word on the Moore Hotel is basically "been there, done that."

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Radmen
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I loved all the little details of this hotel, from the lobby to our suite. It's only two blocks away from pike place market and lots of wonderful restaurants. I love the towel animal and our sitting room was very hip with a partial water view. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. I already have! the staff is very nice...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

while you are staying in the heart of downtown within walking distance of the spaceneedle ,pikes market and others,the accomodations are rundown and rooms small.It was the lowest price in area but for good reason.The staff was helpful but it was a handful for them just to keep the indegent out.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple