“Nice hotel in a good area”
Review of MarQueen Hotel

MarQueen Hotel
Ranked #53 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed a few nights at the hotel and really enjoyed our stay. It is located in the lower Queen Anne area of Seattle. Not too far from the space needle, perhaps a 15 minute walk. Lots of great restaurants nearby, easy to navigate the neighborhood, and the staff were all exceptionally nice. The room we were in had a small kitchen with plates, utensils, etc... As well as a fridge, range, and microwave. The building is old but the rooms are spacious and clean.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Derek C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We booked two rooms, for three nights, one for my elderly mom and me, and one for my adult sons, to attend my son's college graduation. When making the reservation, I had specifically mentioned my mom's physical limitations so we were pleased to get rooms on the first floor as my mom would not have been able to go up the stairs. The rooms were lovely except that in our room, my mom had great difficulty taking a shower each day as there was no shower chair. We eyed the wooden chairs in our room but didn't want to wreck one so we did not use it. Upon checking out, I mentioned that perhaps the hotel could purchase some inexpensive plastic lawn chairs so that a person in a handicap room could use it in the shower. I was stunned to hear the clerk behind the counter say. "Oh, we have shower chairs!" REALLY? They didn't think to put one automatically in the handicap room after I called and explained my mom's needs? They didn't offer one when we checked in and they met my mom? A shower chair is not something you ask for. It is either in the handicap room or not. Also, we could not check into our rooms until after 5:00 PM because of some housekeeping scheduling problem so that was exhausting after traveling all day. And on the first morning when we left early for the graduation ceremony and didn't return to the rooms until later in the afternoon, our rooms had still not been made up. I actually offered to clean the rooms myself if they would tell me where the fresh towels and other supplies are. There was another big discussion with the housekeeping staff and then a woman came to clean the rooms, while we waited in the lobby. So much as I liked the location and the rooms themselves, there are some things that need to be addressed in order to have satisfied guests. However, the rooms were amazingly spacious, the beds were comfortable, and my sons' room even had a separate kitchen with a full-size refrigerator. I would recommend this hotel for families, and I would try this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you cannot walk up stairs, ask for a first floor room. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank IrisMinneapolis
Brad C, General Manager at MarQueen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thanks so much for your review. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you would visit us again! My apologies for the late check-in time and the shower chair situation - we do have several shower chairs available upon request. Given that our handicapped rooms are not always occupied by handicapped guests, we try to keep those available at all times in the event that they are needed for any our first floor guest rooms. We are happy to place your room prior to arrival - please just include that request at the time of reservation. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night after returning from a cruise. As we arrived early in the morning, they were happy to hold our luggage until check in. The front desk staff and bellmen were all very friendly and helpful. Built originally as an engineering school, the conversion to a hotel contains some "interesting architctural elements". Our room on the first floor had a door to a closet that was only about a foot deep. Our "closet" also contained what appeared to be a ventilation unit and some sort of pump that ran occasionally. The room was large, and contained the bed, two end tables, an armchair and the TV cabinet (which was stuck in an alcove). We found it a bit inconvenient that there was no dresser or table in the bedroom. The place was clean, but worn in places. There was a sizable kitchen with a table and two chairs, a full-size refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, and full-size sink. There was a nice selection of glasses, plates and cutlery, but no cookware. Also, there was no soap or sponge with which to wash dishes, so we just had to trust the cleanliness of eveything (it looked clean) and left what we used in the sink. I was glad to see a sign asking us to leave recyclables out on the counter for the cleaning staff to handle. Even though our room was right at street level, the windows were quite soundproof and the room was quiet. The bed was comfortable, and we got a good night's sleep. The bathroom contained a free-standing sink with a small shelf above it, so there was no room for laying out toiletries. We ordered a couple of drinks from the bar, but did not have anything from the restaurant. Around the corner is a fantastic "Metropolitan Market" grocery store, that sells beer, wine, and has a great selection of take-out food. We had a big lunch, so for dinner we just grabbed some ready-made food to heat in the microwave back at the room. It is only a 10 - 15 minute walk to the Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP Museum, Chihuly Garden and Glass, etc.), so this is a perfect location for visiting that part of town. Hints: the Toulouse Petit restaurant across the street is fantastic, and the Mecca Cafe a block south is a great breakfast spot.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zaphod
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel we stayed in for several days was booked for our last night in Seattle. Using hotel.com, we opted to find something a little different than the nice chain we were accostomed to. We found the Marqueen to be uniquely charming. My usually not impressed 13 year old son thought it was the coolest hotel ever, with all its nooks and cranny type closets and rooms. Though our view was a graffiti painted back alley (and we had had a week of a city view), it was also kind of cool in an artsy way. My son really wants to come back to Seattle and stay for a month in the Marqueen. If you are looking for a suite that is vintage, unique and charming this is your place. Clean rooms, comfy beds, and accomodating staff. It is surrounded by every type of restaurant withing easy walking distance - all very charming too. Less than a mile from the Space Needle, Chihully Gardens and EMP Rock/Science Fiction Museum.

Room Tip: No elevator. We opted for floor 1 as we had lots of luggage. No real view but room was really enoug...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Prone2Pusillanimous
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We made a last minute trip to Seattle for the Paul McCartney concert at Safeco Field on Friday July 19, 2013 and only booked the MarQueen online the night before our trip. All the other hotels everywhere in the Seattle area seemed to be booked up (unless you were willing to pay $400 or more a night), but I managed to book a room online for the MarQueen the night before the concert for a reasonable price ($161 U.S. + taxes + $30 valet parking meant the hotel cost us a grand total of $206 for one night).

The MarQueen is very convenient for those going to Key Arena and the Space Needle, but we were not going to those locations. Our walk to Safeco Field was over an hour at a very brisk pace (running late for the concert due to a one hour border line-up and then lots of Seattle traffic meant our drive from Vancouver took us more than 5 hours!) After the concert, there were no cabs available, so another long walk back to the hotel took more than 1.5 hours due to all the initial foot traffic from the concert (and night clubs) on the sidewalks.

Our other trek the next day was a walk to Pike Place, which again, was a long walk (same route as to Safeco, but not quite as long of a walk) and initially your walk is through not the best areas of town.

The staff were very friendly and efficient and the room and hallways were huge (but kind of spooky that the hallways and the rooms (and era) of the hotel looked like that out of old horror movies, and the hallway looked like the hallway you view on the Tower of Terror ride at Disneyland! We felt like we could be in an old Twilight Zone episode.)

We did not hear any road noise from our room 206 on Saturday morning even though our windows faced the street. (By the way, the blackout curtains are behind the sheer curtains... you just have to pull them across... this is for the person who said their curtains were too sheer.)

BUT, ... noise wise... we arrived back to our room after the concert at almost 2 a.m. and heard loud startling noises in our room a couple times before we went to bed, and those same noises woke us up a few times during the night from a dead sleep as well!! So, grumpy and not well rested the next day. The sound was like a very loud grinding and clunk noise?!.... VERY loud. Would like to know what the noise was from!

We didn't spend a lot of time in our room, basically just to sleep after the concert and then shower the next morning and the room served it's purpose (except for the disrupted sleep.)

We can't comment a lot on the service, but the service we experienced was very good (check-in and check-out, valet.)

The location was not the greatest for us, but is great if you want to be near the Space Needle and Key Arena.

The sleep quality was rated poor, not due to the bed which was comfortable and king size, but due to the loud unexplained noises that kept waking us up!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Triever
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stay in a lot of chain hotels which after a while start to look the same. The Marqueen reminds me of the sort of hotel you might find in an english seaside town and was very different to our usual hotels, We arrived on a Sunday and the bellhop told us as it was a weekend, we could park for free on the street until 8.30am the following morning. Also worth noting from 10pm on the Sunday, you could put money in the meter for the following morning. Thanks to the bellhop we saved $30 in valet parking. The reception staff were very friendly and efficient. The rooms were huge with a kitchen and separate seating area. The kitchen has a full sized fridge, stove and microwave and there are plates and utentsils. There was also a dining table and four chairs in our room.

The location was about a five minute walk to the Seattle Center and was right across the street from restaurants and coffee shops.

I would like to come back here next time we stay in Seattle.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Have stayed here twice: once as a couple for a concert at Key Arena (it's literally 2 blocks away) and the most recent time for a weekend away with a girlfriend. The location in Lower Queen Anne is perfect. Great restaurants close by (Peso's and Toulouse are right across the street and both are a must try), Seattle Centre and EMP is a short walk away and from there you can take the monorail downtown in about 5 mins. The hotel is old, yes, but the rooms are BIG and clean and I don't mind the walk up the stairs but if you've got a lot of bags, having no elevator could be an issue. Plus, I love the added bonus of having a kitchen with full size fridge in the room. Beds are soft and comfy, the wifi works fine, the little restaurant off the lobby is decent and the staff are friendly and helpful. This is definitely a no frills hotel but for the price, I'd happily stay again. Note: parking is $25 per night with unlimited in and out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends