“Good Location”

Crowne Plaza Seattle Downtown Area
Ranked #39 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Spent from Monday Night to Friday morning at the start of our trip and 10 days later spent one sunday night at the hotel and experienced good things and bad.

Will not dwell too long on the bad as the hotel management worked really hard to overcome these and were most considerate. The feeling is that they should not have happened. The biggest disappointment was that we had been looking forward to our stay and it was just a little bit of a let down.

The front desk staff were a just not functioning and if they could get it wrong they did. Our first night late check in after a 27 hours of travel and a 9 hour time difference was a nightmare. On the other hand Silver from the front desk team, Terry the Concierge and Cristy Smith General Manager were superb.

We had a Suite 3156 for the first stay and really were very disappointed at the shabbiness and age of the fixtures fittings etc. An overhaul is long due. On our second stay we had 3356 and this had been marginally updated but was still not all one would expect. On the bright side everything was very clean, a more than ample supply of towels and the usual superb Crowne Plaza beds.

The Executive Lounge is too small for the number of rooms described as "Executive". It too is desperately in need of a total overhaul. We were most amused when at 3.30 in the afternoon standing beside the sign stating that the lounge is open 24 hours for the use of Executive Level guests to be told by a staff member "We only open at 5".

We quickly discovered that if one was walking to the hotel from the front area the best way was to always use Pine Street and then along either 5th or 6th Avenue to Seneca. The other nearby roads all had pretty steep hills back to the hotel. If you are in the Piers area a good tip walk along to Piers 62/63 near the aquarium and use the elevators up to the Pike Street Market area unless you like lots and lots of steps to climb.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BarryOstrava
crister, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Seattle Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2009

Dear BarryOstrave,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I am so sorry that there were several areas where we failed to meet your expectations. I truly appreciate the feedback you provided which will help us in improving the level of guest satisfaction in our services and product. We are pleased to report we are doubling the seating capacity in the Executive Lounge and just recently installed new carpet. I am glad your guestroom was clean and the bed superb. Thank you again for your comments and hope to serve you in the future if your travels bring you back to Seattle.

Reviewed July 13, 2009

Because my SO and I were taking an Alaskan cruise departing from Seattle and we have never been in Seattle, we decided to arrive one day prior to our cruise.
Since we were short on time, I decided to book a hotel in the downtown area. I was looking for a hotel with a price range of $150 to $200 (including taxes) therefore, after looking at the reviews in trip advisor regarding different hotels; I decided that The Crown Plaza was a good match for us.
I found out that the Crown Plaza is one of the few hotels that offer a nice Pre-cruise package. We booked the Pre-Cruise plan with a King size bed. The room was located on the floor 27 and it was a corner room. We were able to see most of the downtown area and the Space needle from our room. The room and bathroom were very spacious and clean. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. We arrived at 11:30 AM and our room was not ready, but we were able to leave our suitcases with the door man and go to explore the city. By the time we came back to the hotel (around 5:00 PM) our room was ready.
As part of the package, breakfast and transfer from the hotel to the pier were included. The breakfast was a buffet breakfast and it was good. As a matter of fact I really enjoyed the coffee that was served during breakfast. I even asked the waiter where I could buy that kind of coffee in Seattle, the waiter told me that he did not know but he was going to ask. A few minutes later, the hostess came to our table and she gave us as a gift, a bag of (1/2lb) of their coffee. I was very impressed by that. The service at the restaurant was very good.
The staff at their front desk and the lady in charge of scheduling our transportation to the pier was very friendly and courteous with us. Unfortunately, some of the customers who were in the reception area were very unfriendly and uptight.
The only complaint that we had was regarding the Wi-Fi connection. The service is not free, my SO was trying to update his Facebook status and check his e-mails and we did not want to pay the extra $$ for that service. Fortunately, he was able to pick up a free Wi-Fi connection when we were strolling in downtown. There are hundreds of Wi-Fi networks out there.
So, in conclusion, I liked this hotel and it provides good value for the money. If I have the opportunity in the future I would stay again in this place and I feel that I can recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BDiaz

Dear BDiaz,

Thank you for your recent review of your experience at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the amenities included in the cruise package and found the bed and pillows in your guestroom very comfortable. Thank you also for sharing your experience in the restaurant with the hostess surprising you with a gift bag of coffee you liked so well. Our associates are dedicated to providing a memorable guest experience. We value your business and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2009

We chose the Crowne Plaza because of its history and location. Check in listed at 4pm...room was not ready until 5pm. Room advertised as a suite with a pullout sofa bed, free bottled water. No sofa bed and no bottled water. Many other negative details concerning our stay...however there are many choices for overnight accommodations in downtown Seattle...the Crowne Plaza should not be high on your list.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
crister, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Seattle Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2009

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. We appreciate when guests provide feedback in order to improve our product and services. I regret that the room was not available at 4PM check -in. Your experiences have been communicated to the Director of Housekeeping to take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We value your business and know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope to earn back your business,

Reviewed July 12, 2009

A few months ago I stayed at the Crown Plaza Seattle for one night because I was able to find a very good sub $100 room rate on Hotwire. This multi-story hotel is located in the heart of downtown Seattle. Pike’s Place Market and the Seattle Center Monorail are a pleasant 15 minute walk from the hotel while the wharf area and ferry terminal are approximately a 10 minute walk. The Greyline airport shuttle ($11 one way, $18 r/t) makes a stop at this hotel.

At check-in, the front office staff were friendly and efficient. The clerk assigned me a corner room on the 20th floor. The room was a comfortable size with a queen bed, desk and chair, LCD TV, and with iron and ironing board stored in the closet. A nice, large, window overlooked the downtown area but unfortunately my only view was of other high rise buildings and the freeway. The bed was very comfortable and had clean and crisp linens. The heating / air conditioning unit worked well but was quite noisy. Its age was evident. The bathroom was standard and utilitarian, but nevertheless clean and well serviced.

I did not use any of the food and beverage facilities in the hotel as there were quite a few options in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

For a sub $100 room rate per night, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel in the future.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank travelstuff0000
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We picked the Crowne Plaza because it was on the airport bus route and offered a suite that would accommodate the family at a reasonable price. First impressions aren't much - the lobby isn't very grand but staff were friendly enough and soon had us packed off to our room on the 30-something floor with a view of the Space Needle. There was a sofabed in the living area and a huge super king in the bedroom.

No pool at the hotel but easily located just a short walk from the centre of downtown and also within the free bus area that is provided in the middle of Seattle. We were on a breakfast inclusive rate but also got upgraded to the club floor. Restaurant breakfast was good, as was the club lounge but the latter was small so not alway easy to find four seats together.

Crowne Plazas are very good at supplying free toiletries if you leave anything behind. I was very surprised to see that when asking for a razor, rather than getting a cheap disposable, I was supplied with a 5-blade Wilkinson Sword!

Departure back to the airport was OK but as we had been the second stop for the bus on the way in, we had to go right round all the other hotels too. That was a bit of a pain, but nothing the hotel can do anything about. Note it is up something of a steep hill from 3rd avenue which is the main North-South route in the city.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We recently had a business retreat at the Crowne Plaza. We really enjoyed ourselves. The service, food, and views from the suites were excellent. We were also very close to all the landmarks and good places to visit, which is nice. Since it was a business retreat, I can't really comment on the value for the price because everything was paid for, but I can say that the next time that I am staying in Seattle on business or leisure, I would definitely choose the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2009

If you have an unlimited budget to purchase amenities provided free at many other places, then the Crowne Plaza is the place for you! My husband and I, along with another couple reserved 2 rooms for 3 nights. During our occasional 2 and 3 day stays in Seattle, we prefer a hotel that provides a microwave and refrigerator. The Crowne Plaza has no microwaves available, but will rent a refrigerator to their "guests" for $25/night. Don't look for a free breakfast here. Not even a beverage in the lobby. Local phone calls cost $1.25/each. We emailed the manager before our stay expressing our concern that there was no complimentary wi-fi. We didn't get the courtesy of a reply. Upon check-in, the same manager told us that a room was not yet available, but that she would call us on our cell phone when it was ready. She didn't! I was directed to the "business center" to access online information. There I found that the hotel charges an exhorbitant hourly rate for internet access. I chose to live without internet access.

The room was well appointed, clean, and comfortable. The location is within reasonable walking distance to most downtown attractions. But we won't be staying at the Crowne Plaza again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends