“Great Hotel”
Review of Ace Hotel

Ace Hotel
Ranked #57 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 9, 2007

The Ace is a very cool, centrally located hotel with an awesome staff. My wife and I stayed here in late June and early July and were definitely impressed. First, the location is awesome. It is located in the heart of Belltown, near great music clubs, Pike Place, downtown, and Capitol Hill. You couldn't ask for a better location, especially for those of us who like to walk and use public transportation. Note: the bus is free in the downtown area, only a couple blocks away. Also, the staff is great and provide a real local aspect to it all. We regularly asked questions on bus routes, good music venues, recommendations for local eateries, etc. We always got a very friendly response with good tips. The rooms are very clean, as are the bathrooms. All of this for less than a $100 bucks a night is a bargain. I definitely recommend the Ace for travelers who like a unique, cheap urban hotel with cool staff and design.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ace Hotel

Reviewed July 4, 2007

I contacted the property directly for my reservation. Staff was pleasant and helpful, our room was small but clean and quiet. Yes, there were condoms in the room, a candle, and a Kama Sutra book but we didn't mind. Bed was comfortable and there was a sink area as well as a desk. Free wireless was available which was great! A member of my family also has asthma but suffered no effects of mold while staying here (didn't see any in our room either). We opted for the shared bathroom and they were always clean and available. There was heat lamp in the bathroom which was nice when drying off and soft jazz music playing in the bathroom which I found nice. My family and I stayed here (2 of us w/a 4 yr old) and the hotel was a perfect base for sightseeing-in Belltown, blocks from Pike Market, the Waterfront and the Space Needle. Don't stay here if you don't like walking! Also, if you are taking the Victoria Clipper, Pier 69 is a short walk down the hill which was convenient. One downside was there is no stairs at the entry and they are a little steep if you have luggage. The person at the front desk hurried down right away to help us up with luggage. The self-serve light breakfast in the morning was good: juice, yogurt, granola, toast, coffee or tea which was served in lounge area downstairs where you could also watch a shared t.v.
We loved our stay here and would stay again..

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Overall I think the hotel is nice. It was ok for me as a single traveler. I did not care for the minimalist decor, lack of air conditioning, and lack of window screen. The website does not specifiy that there is only a/c in the rooms with bathrooms, so that is misleading. But I had a travel fan and kept the window open and it was fine. They turned off the hall light at 10pm, but this may be a bit late for east coast travelers like me. It is bright in the room until the hall light is turned off, but I'm sure they would turn it of earlier if asked.

Good things-- The staff is super friendly and helpful. They carried my luggage up the stairs and back down again when I left. The beakfast is great and the setup is nice. The breakfast room has milk, orange juice, toast and jam, yogurt, granola and fruit. There are also trays so you can take it back to your room and a flat screen tv to watch. The bed and pillows were very comftorable and I really liked the bathrooms and the mint shampoo/conditioner.

If I was traveling alone I would consider the Ace again. If they added some color to the decor it would be nicer I think.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2007

When we arrived, we climbed the flight of stairs with 100 plus lbs of luggage. We got to the top, checked in and were placed in the room at the very end of the hall. The walkways are lined with brown outdoor style carpet. We arrived in our room and even though the hotel is smoke-free, I began wheezing from the mold. The outer rooms are exposed brick and apparently ours was allowing moisture into the room. We checked the bathroom and it also had black mold growing in the 1x1" tiles. I went to the front desk and asked the gentleman if there was some way to check on a refund due to health concerns regarding my asthma and my inability to stay in the room. He said I had to check with Hotels.com since I prepaid and booked through them. Fair enough. He was helpful in saying that he would make a note in his computer system for verification of reasons we couldnt stay, not sure if this actually occured but we will see. Staff seemed pleasant but not very proactive in resolving problems. He didnt offer to have us check another room or to investigate our concerns with the original room.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Emkayes
Reviewed May 2, 2007

I stayed in a room with two queen beds and private bathrooms. The room was very large and bright with great decor, all white paint and then grey army blankets covering the white beds, looked very cool, and a long mirror along one wall, and window seats covered with white leather. Free wireless internet and a CD player. Very large bathroom, kept clean. Laundry and self service breakfast with toast and cereal and coffee and fruit. Very friendly and helpful staff, who gave us good restaurant and museum recommendations, and carried our bags down for us. A really cool place to stay in the hippest part of Seattle.

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank Wellstraveller
Reviewed February 24, 2007

We loved our recent stay at the Ace hotel! Here is why you should choose the Ace (according to us):

Location. The Ace is in Belltown, we walked everywhere we went, and we found that belltown was the perfect spot. The best resturants, and close to the free bus zone if you can't stand the walk. We even took the bus back to the airport (it only cost $4.00!)
*try the Macrina Bakery, and Marco's Supperclub which is located across the street from the Ace!

Price: for what we paid $85.00, we didn't expect much of anything. But, we received first class treatment for almost nothing! Our room was one of the cheapest rooms they offer (shared bathroom, no view) and we liked that. It was very cozy, and the shared bathrooms were always clean! Believe me, I was scared of the idea of shared bathrooms, but at the Ace, I prefer it. The showers are huge, and they pump in soft music. Our room was clean, and the hotel itself was beautiful. Modern, and crisp.
The breakfast in the morning was great too! Fresh juice, milk, toast, fruit; we were always happy to eat down in the cute kitchen area.

Staff: I can honestly tell you that the staff at the Ace hotel is and was the best we had ever met. They always were willing to look things up for us online, give info, loan dvds, and a dvd player to the guests, give out free magazines---just all around helpfull.

The Hotel vs. Other Hotels: After our trip in Seattle we headed to two other cities...we booked the most expensive hotels, and yet we were still pining for the Ace!

Check them out when you are Seattle, and check out our candid pictures too!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rachel&chris
Reviewed February 20, 2007

Really enjoyed my time here. Interesting decor with unique touches everywhere. Was super clean and tidy, bathrooms (although shared) were spacious, very clean and always available. The breakfast was more than adequate, fresh and simple and quite healthy, which is a nice change from the usual cardiac inducing breakfast fare served at most hotels. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo