“Basic but great location and helpful staff”
Review of Ace Hotel

Ace Hotel
Ranked #58 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Basic but great location and helpful staff”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed in Ace hotel for 4 nights while we were visiting Seattle for a wedding. The room we stayed in (108) was billed as the "noisy" room, being on the corner of the building by 1st and Wall Streets, but neither of us had any problem with the noise levels and didn't require the ear plugs provided by the hotel. They have a policy of not servicing your rooms unless you request it (for sustainability) which suited us fine.

The shared bathroom facilities were good, always clean, and always available. It took a little while to get used to having to walk past reception in my PJs and robe (provided) but it was a decent compromise for the price and location. Hairdriers are provided.

I liked the breakfasts. Its a serve-yourself type affair with granola/toast/yoghurt/fruit available as well as a waffle iron. Tea, coffee and juice are also available. I got a bit addicted to the waffles.

Location is excellent. There are some lovely restaurants in Belltown and its a short walk to the Space Needle/downtown/Pike's Place so you are close to the attractions. We were able to walk to everywhere we wanted to visit and didn't need to negotiate the public transport at all (except for taking a ferry over to Bainbridge one day). The staff were very friendly and happy to recommend good places to eat/drink.

I would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J_Beanus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Staying at the first Ace hotel might one day have the valence of visiting the first Starbucks in Seattle or making a pilgrimage to the first KFC in Corbin, Kentucky. In that case, the experience itself wouldn't matter as much as the point itself. Ace isn't there quite yet, so they better provide an experience worthy of my money.

If your experience with Ace is limited to hanging in the lobby of the one in NYC, you should be warned to expect something very different. Obviously, Ace started with much more modest roots. The hotel is on the second floor of a small, utilitarian commercial building in a semi-hip neighborhood near downtown Seattle. It has no lobby or hang out space to speak of, which to me is sorta half the point of the Ace. Prices are a bit steep for what you get, and they need to replace some of their pilled sheets.

On the upside, the hotel itself is a designers dream, as one would expect. We had a great room with partial Sound views, exposed brick, and a cool wood panel wall. The bathroom was also gorgeous. It's a fine place for what it is -- cool and quiet, not the center of attention in the manner of Ace NYC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Judd S
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at the Ace Hotel for work and overall I think it is a good place and would stay there again but not everybody would like it. The hotel is decor is somewhat IKEA sheik but if you are into contemporary boutique hotels you will like this place. The location is great and I could walk everywhere I wanted to go and there are more than enough places to eat and drink in the area. I did not get a chance to do much sight seeing but the Public Market, Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and downtown are an easy 1/2 mile walk.

Pros are The staff was more than friendly, the bed was very comfortable, and everything was clean. Continental breakfast was included and the Ace is located in the middle of just about anything you would want to do in Seattle. It was also affordable at $99/night. Street parking is metered except for Sunday and there is a public lot that is available to park in. The Cyclops tavern is in the same building and was a great place to grab a beer and get lunch.

Cons are I stayed in a inexpensive room on the courtyard which shares shower facilities with other guests, and I admit it was a bit weird for me. It is like sharing a bathroom at home so bring flip flops. If you really don't want to do this there are larger rooms with private showers available too for around $60 more per night. The room was also a bit small but I mostly just slept there. The only other con was on Friday night it was a bit noisy as the building is old and if you ever lived in an old apartment building with hardwood you know what I mean. It was never really loud but if you are easily awakened then stay at the Marriott instead.

Room Tip: stay on the upper floor on the back side of the building as I suspect it will be quieter. Plus you w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Dave S
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I choose to stay in Ace for a four days visiting in Seattle. We stayed in the shared washroom suite which doesn't bother us at all. The shower room is clean and always with nice music. Our room is not big but it's comfortable and cozy. The hotel said they gave us a more quiet room that the window is not facing the main street (1st Ave) but Wall street. But still you need ear plugs if you're sensitive to noise (they provide ear plugs in the room). Simple breakfast is nice. We didn't mind to go out and try other breakfasts in the town anyway.
The thing I love about the hotel is the look of it, no extra decorations. The neighborhood is very fun with many choices of bars and restaurants. A walkable distance to Pike Market and Downtown. Staffs at the front desk are nice.
The only one thing that bothers me more is that it is in an older building so the soundproof is not the best. Our room is very closed to the downstair restaurant's kitchen so we could hear their music sometimes. We didn't do it but if noises from downstair bother you, you could call the front desk.

Room Tip: Always try to ask for a quieter room. Bring slippers if you choose to stay in the shared washroom s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chloe_Liu_hc
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Ace Hotel in Seattle is, in comparison to the one in NYC, very small and very bright. But still, very modern, tasteful and with a very helpful staff. I stayed in a double (w/ our own bathroom) with my mother. The room (121) was facing the water and had a TV, couch, desk + chair and a queen size bed. Since I am not one to hang out in the hotel room when traveling, I was pleased with my stay! The bed was really comfortable, the room clean and there was a snack bar if we had the munchies. A bonus also for coffee and tea that is always available in the breakfast room.

Breakfast was definitely OK, but I am Swedish which means I am used to more savory stuff. Here, it consists of a belgian waffle with maple syrup, sweet yogurt, bread, granola, fruit, coffee/tea. Simple but tasty, although we chose to have breakfast out of the hotel two of our three mornings.

Location wise it is very close to downtown and the space needle, but if you like the more vivid nightlife aspect of Capitol Hill, I advice you find a hotel around there. Having said that, I do think that Belltown is up-and-coming and I would definitely recommend the hotel to friends.

Room Tip: I read the rooms towards the street (above the bar) are noisier. We had one facing the backside (= t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Nice location, lovely view over the sea, friendly staff and decent breakfast. I would stay here again! Two things to improve: reading-lights and a hand-shower, if you don't want to wet your hair... But lovely!

• Stayed December 2012
Pasadena, California
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Clean, hip, minimal yet stylish room. Helpful staff. Great location- can walk to just about everywhere. A must if you enjoy night life and excellent small restaurants. A much more urban setting than the more touristy shopping areas of Seattle. This is a great hotel for couples, as they value your privacy (no housekeeping unless you ask for it). Love the downstairs 'kitchen' where you can get coffee / tea or snacks 24hrs a day. Appreciated the free wifi, and the little extras. Parking, if needed, is about 2-1/2 blocks away and that was the only downside when I needed to check out at 4am and walk in the pouring rain in the dark! Also, pack light as they don't have an elevator, you will be carrying your luggage up and down those stairs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple