“Hotel Experience was Amazing.”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Hotel Experience was Amazing.”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

The Monaco Seattle hotel is located in the heart of Seattle. The place is beautiful and close to great restaurants/sightseeing venues. The staff was very helpful, friendly and the service was exceptional. The room was spectacular and quiet. The conceirge (Jesse or Alec) gave us great advise on our night out - they were both very knowlegable. We are coming back again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I would definitely stay here again. We have stayed at other Kimpton hotels and each experience has been great. The overall vibe of the hotel from the coffee service in the morning to the wine tasting in the evening in the hotel lobby was excellent. We have found their hotels offer a unique experience to other places we have stayed and we travel a lot with our kids. They had goldfish in our room!
Our room had 2 queen beds, our girls are 7 and 10 and we never felt crowded or uncomfortable. Great location, close to everything (walking distance).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
NY
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Nice, clean, pet-friendly hotel. But I'm not quite sure what make it "luxury" in nature. The rooms are small, but that's to be expected I suppose in a big city. However, I had a chance to visit a different hotel, a 3 star, in the same area, and the rooms were 2x as big. The rooms were decorated in a very boutique quality, with red/white stripes. The bathrooms were small, and very very plain. Nothing close to some of the luxury hotels I've stayed in in the past. But the hotel was very clean, comfortable, and in walking distance of most of the downtown attractions, which was what I was looking for. For the price I got on Hotwire, it was great. For the regular going luxury hotel price, not so much.

Now the hospitality. The hotel staff were very nice for the most part, but I had read so many reviews about how they went above and beyond. This was not the case when I visited. I looked like crap when I arrived at the hotel - after delays at the airport, and 2 layovers, I looked about 15 years old, with terrible bed hair. I got to the hotel in the middle of the day, and the two doorman just looked at me. No "Let me grab the door" or "Let me help you with your luggage." Just looked at me, grunted a "hey, good afternoon" and went back to talking. This ended up being the last time I ever saw a doorman for my entire weekend stay.
Got to the front desk, and immediately, the clerk judged either my appearance, or my booking through Hotwire. He mumbled a few things about the hotel, gave me my key, and went back to doing whatever he was doing. A girl at the desk was checking in a different customer, a older, male gentleman, and went through a clear, welcoming explanation of the hotel and amenities, and asked if he was a Klimpton member. He said no, and she explained how he could sign up for free internet. All of which was never even asked, or mentioned to me.

I looked back at my clerk and said "Um, Im a member. how do I access the internet?"

He suddenly became a lot nicer.

From then on, I really didn't bother with the hotel staff. The cleaning crew were very nice and helpful however. They helped me out when I couldn't find my toothpaste and the front desk said "Oh we ran out." uh. huh.

The last day I needed a taxi, and told the front desk to call one 10mins before I checked out (Seattle is not known for its cab services...so you really have to call in advance). I walked out...no cab.

"Oh we called! He should be here asap"

10mins later, no cab. I asked the front desk to call again, and they said "Oh sure, in a bit"

Um. No. I ended up taking a gypsy cab that I hailed myself that cost me 2x as much, but I had a business meeting and I was nearly late.

I guess I would recommend it, for the price on hotwire ($90 a night), for the cleanliness, the location, and the cleaning staff. But the hospitality left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The Hotel Monaco is situated in downtown Seattle within walking distance to 'must see' sites such as Pike Street marketplace, waterfront and shopping. The hotel had valet parking which we used for convenience, but there is plenty of parking garages close by. The hotel staff were pleasantly accommodating when we asked to change one of our rooms from a single king to two beds. We enjoyed the five o'clock wine reception in the lobby before heading out to McRory's. I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler anxious for a friendly, elegant...yet not 'stuffy' hotel with incredibly comfortable beds.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 26, 2011

The hotel was situated in a convenient location, next to the Public Library (designed by Rem Koolhaas) and a quick walk to Pikes Place Marketplace. While the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms need some update and maintenance.

Hotel Experience: 3 stars, out of 5
Hotel Class: 3 stars, out of 5
Service: 5 stars, out of 5
Room: #310 (I think it was this room)

Pros:
- Service: Very courteous, helpful, and friendly Bellhop, House Keeping, and Front Desk
- Pets: Pet-friendly hotel
- Accessories: Umbrella and Robes for hotel guest use
- Location: 5 minute walk to Pikes Place/Shopping Areas, Close to Seattle Art Museam (SAM),15 minute walk to the Tom Douglas Restaurants

Cons:
- Overall Condition: Run-down room, need of maintenance.
- Bathroom: Hole at the shower ceiling, Tile grout needs to be cleaned
- Coffee maker: No coffee maker in guest rooms (the Front Desk mentioned the coffee was offered on the Main Floor as I recall). In-room Coffee Maker can be requested, but the one they delivered to the room was worn down and the coffee mug was filthy. We didn't use it.
- Furniture: Upholstered furniture with stains, casegood furniture are poorly assembled and sticky from wear, Furniture in general were tired and worn
- Bedding/Sheets: Stained sheets and pillow covers first night, second night was fine.

Notes:
- Parking: Hotel Valet Parking was $40. (It's generally expensive in this area). Street parking available, but watch out for meter times.
- Sample Hotel Room Features: Faux-painted finishes and furniture, leopard and animal printed robes, terry cloth shower curtains.
- Impression: Good and may be fun for families and guests traveling with pets. Not luxury in quality or appearance

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2011

The Hotel Monaco is part of the Kimpton Hotel group- a collection of boutique-style hotels that are known for excellent service and a lot of "extras", especially if you are part of their InTouch program. We arrived and were upgraded to a suite, which was amazing and surprising considering I booked the room at one of their great blow-out rates! The service was outstanding- the decor of the entire property was great. The room was clean, although some fo the furniture was a little worn and could use a patch here and there. The rooms were comfortable, well-appointed. Room service was delicious and really reasonably priced.
The Hotel Monaco is in a great central location. Loved it!

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed January 23, 2011

My wife and I decided to visit Seattle for a quick weekend trip to get away for our 20th anniversary. We always love staying at Kimpton hotels and have stayed at the Alexis Hotel and Hotel Vintage Park in Seattle, so this time we decide to try the Hotel Monaco. As expected, our stay was wonderful.

When we arrived we were met by the bellman how helped with our luggage. This was helpful since we had brought our two Shih Thus with us. Check in was quick and in less than 5 minutes, the valet had our car and we were checked in and heading to our room.

The room was very nice with a small living room that made it a little more than “just a room”. We had room service the first night and the food was great and was delivered in less than 20 minutes. Evening turndown service got our room ready for the night including chocolates on the pillow.

The hotel is in the perfect spot in Seattle because you can walk to Pike’s Market, the movies, the shopping center and even the tram to get you around town.

The hotel’s wine reception was great and we found others had brought their pets with them. Kimpton’s “pet friendly” program is wonderful.

We came back from running around one night and found a bottle of champagne to help us celebrate our anniversary.

Our three days went by much too fast and we really did not want to leave, but all good things must come to an end.

The good news is we can always go back and know we will get great service.