“Great location but not perfect service”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Ranked #7 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My son and I just stayed a week at the Hotel Monaco in Seattle. The location was great; we were able to walk to WNBA, MLS, and MLB games. There were a couple issues with the service. We are members of the InTouch club and are supposed to get newspapers delivered to the room each day. We only got papers two of the five days. I asked the front desk after the fourth day, and they said "well, there are other guests, and sometimes we run out, but there's a whole bunch of papers over there against the wall". Then, I didn't get the paper the next day either. My young son was supposed to get a welcome gift as part of the InTouch club, but he received nothing. I asked about this the next morning, and they said there's a box where kids can go chose something (we got a deck of cards). Also, for the morning tea/coffee service in the lobby, the black tea ran out very early each day as did the lemonade/tea in the afternoon. It seems there's just a half hearted effort for these "perks". They should either support the service or not. Other than these things, the hotel was fine. The room was nice; the food in the restaurant was great. We loved our pet fish (Fred).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle

Reviewed August 4, 2010

As usual, my stay the the Kimpton hotel, this time Hotel Monaco in Seattle, was excellent. The staff is great, friendly, very helpful, and the hotel itself is luxurious and comfortable. Especially enjoy the free wine tasting each afternoon, and comfortable beds. I recommend any Kimpton, and the Hotel Monaco was a treat!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Absolutely the best service, location, and rooms!
We went for a quick getaway for our 16 year anniversary. The surprise bottle of champagne and wine tasting were just a few of the amazing features of this hotel! It seemed very family and pet friendly as well. I work for an airline and we have stayed in many different types of hotels (price ranges) in our 16 years together, and this is our favorite so far! I would recommend this to everyone.....really!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I highly recommend the Hotel Monaco. The location is beyond amazing being so close to everything you would want to get to in Seattle. The staff was great but by far the best part was the food and restaurant service. My wife and I highly recommend the hotel if you want a nice place to stay. It is expensive but every dollar is worth it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We live near Seattle, but stayed at Hotel Monaco to enjoy the Seafair Parade without the hastle of traffic. Before we arrived I received a very helpful e-mail from the hotel explaining the street closures for the parade and other activities in the area to enjoy. We arrive early and weren't able to check in yet but enjoyed complimentary Ice Tea, lemonade and popcorn in the beautiful lobby and people watched. Close to shopping, Pioneer Square Staff and Pike Place Market. Staff were very nice and helpful. The room was good sized with 2 comfortable queen beds. and a nice area to read. Extremely clean and nice linens on the bed. We brought our dog and the hotel goes the extra mile for your pets. I wondered why they asked how to spell her name when we checked in. They brought up a duel food and water bowel with her name on it, a bottle of water and a bag of doggie treats. The hotel will bring you a goldfish to keep you company inyour room!!! They have complimentary wine reception in the everning from 5-6. We had dinner in the hotel and family members enjoyed the halibut, pizza and burgers. Wait staff wa excellent. They had a nice area reserved for hotel guests to watch the parade so it was very relaxing. Slept soundly and ordered room service for breakfast. Food was very good, but not very hot::(:(.
Check out was easy and accurate. We loved everything about our stay, except for the $29 parking!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kidzRNSeattle
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Staff was really phony and told you whatever you wanted to hear without following through with it. So I really don't have anything nice to say about the place. I hate liars

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank anderscan
1GeneralManager1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Thanks for your feed back, as your stay with us was over 3 months ago we are at a loss to understand what you are referring to. Please contact me to discuss why you feel we are 'liars' and how the hotel and its staff failed you, your comments don't provide us with a great deal of information.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Tom Waithe

Reviewed July 24, 2010

I just got back from a three-day stay at the Hotel Monaco Seattle. The bed was very comfortable; the suite was very spacious; the bathroom was very clean.

The morning after the first night of my stay, I was sitting at the desk in my room and noticed a very foul odor. ( I had just showered, and all of my clothes were freshly laundered, so it wasn't me.) As I explored, I discovered that the smell was coming from the carpet and the upholstered chairs. One of the chairs had a dark stain on the seat.

I don't have anything against pets or pet owners. But I do have a big complaint when a hotel doesn't clean up and disinfect the room adequately after a guest (canine or human) urinates and/or defecates on the carpet or furniture.

This was my fifth or sixth stay at this hotel. It will be my last.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Famousel_Bigdad

You have a great point, while all Kimpton hotels are pet friendly, we follow very strict guidelines about deep cleaning a guest room after a pet occupied room checks out. We can not find any record of you notifiying the hotel or front desk about your obvious displeasure with your guest room. Naturally we would have immediately moved your room or had someone up to remedy the problem and provide a comfortable solution for this situation. Please accept our sincere apologies, had you shared this information with us during your stay we could have I am sure, left you with a much more positive opinion of Kimpton Hotels.
Tom Waithe. General Manager