“Great hotel and great location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Bordeaux, France
“Great hotel and great location”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. Great staff, great service, very spacious room, great breakfast and on top of it, in downtown Seatlle. I wished I could have stayed longer. The bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel very quiet even though it was downtown.

Room Tip: the 10th floor is apparently the best one. I was on the 4th floor and I had a great room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Oak Harbor, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I booked this reservation for my bff's birthday. I made a mistake when I made the reservation and the front desk staff bent over backwards to fix my goof up and get us the room nights we wanted. My friend loved the decor from the lobby right up to the room. We had two comfy queen sized beds with plenty of pillows. My WiFi was free because I'm an "In Touch" member and they comped the WiFi for my friend as well. We sat at the bar in Sazarac, the fantastic in house restaurant and got several of the happy hour food specials. There was more than enough of each to share and I was stuffed. We even had a take home box when we left. Check in and check out was quick and painless. I've never had a bad experience at a Kimpton hotel in the five years I've been staying there. I hope to return many times in future.

• Stayed March 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This was my second stay at the Hotel Monaco, and I've enjoyed it both times. The hotel seems to have been recently remodelled, and we really liked the decor. We stayed in a 'premium' room, and enjoyed the Gilchrist & Soames bath products. The staff are super friendly and helpful, and the evening wine reception was lovely. Join the InTouch program so you get free WiFi. The air in the room was on the dry side, so next time I might request a humidifier (which they will apparently provide for free!).

A note to women travelling alone: the location is great and close to lots of things, but also pretty deserted at night. I live in the middle of downtown Vancouver, BC, and feel totally safe in my neighbourhood at all hours of the day and night, but I don't think I would have been comfortable walking around alone in the area where the hotel is. Just something to keep in mind.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank girl_from_vancity
Portland
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great location downtown. From the check in to the check out, I was impressed. I was greeted and felt very welcomed at the check in. I had just signed up for the Kimpton awards on the way to the hotel in the cab and that was recognized at check in. Very easy. Room was very large and nicely appointed. Bed was comfortable and room was clean. Conference amenities were good and staff was helpful. Breakfast/lunch at the hotel for conference food was really very good. For sure a surprise. Restaurant onsite was good.

Room Tip: Just ask the front for what you are looking for.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
thanks Portland, we enjoy having our sister city folks come up for any sort of meeting! We offer 3 wonderful Kimptons in the Rose City, the Monaco, the Riverplace and the Vintage Plaza we call our 6 Kimptons the Great Pacific Northwest! You will find all have wonderful rooms, and the Vintage here in Seattle just up from the Monaco is beautifully renovated. Appreciate your thoughts very much, come back soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I am conflicted on my review because there were some things that were a little funny about our stay yet at the same time the staff was very generous.
We stayed at the Hotel Monaco for a little Seattle weekend getaway. Our room was upgraded complimentary which was very nice. The front desk reception and the concierge were fantastic, high spirited and very personable.
The rooms are spacious, but the layout and the furniture aren't great. Even with a
Premier Monte Carlo Suite there was little drawer space, shelving and cabinets yes, but not drawers. The light switch in the room only controls the singular ceiling light at the entry, all lamps throughout are either controlled directly through the normal lamp switch under the lampshade or on a very basic and ugly home depot bought Lutron dimmer that has been super glued to the bedside tables. The bedside dimmers control florescent lights though, so you have ugly, cheap freestanding lamp dimmers hand glued to furniture that control lights that cannot even dim... they just go on or off.
I found the bathroom a little small and cramped with a tight single sink (little room for toiletries), little room for used towels other than the towel rack in the shower (useless for drying towels while someone is showering) and a shallow shower tub that is higher than the floor of the bathroom (you have to step up to get in and step down to get out). The shower pressure is a little too conservative (it is a city surrounded by water after all), so much so that the massage features of the shower head are made worthless and basically spray out like a clogged sink. We also ran out of hot water one morning. I told the front desk and they said everyone must have been showering at the same time... Usually people do shower in the morning, maybe a hotel should be aware of that.
The bell desk (porter) was also not on their "A" game. I generally found them giving off a, "I'm really busy, you have have to wait" attitude when it came to assisting with baggage from transportation, storing baggage or getting stored baggage out of said storage. They were eager however to get us a cab, but we didn't need one. We stored 3 bags with the porter, one of which was an open tote/shopping bag we used at the Pikes Place market. When we went to collect the bags later in the day, the porter who brought them out told us, "Hey this bag is open." I know I said. His response was an akward, "ok" as if an open tote bag were odd. We found out after leaving the hotel for the airport that an item from the tote was missing... I realized instantly that the Porter must have accidentally spilled the bag on retrieving it from the bag check room, but he hadn't told us. My wife called the hotel to have them look for the item and they said they would keep an eye out for it. After our flight and unsatisfied with them keeping an eye out for it, I called the hotel and asked the front desk clerk to look in the bag check room for the item (assuming it simply fell out of the bag) sure enough they found it.

Overall, Kind of a mixed bag here. I have had great Kimpton experiences before and this hotel does look good. It is a cool vibe in the hotel, and the prices are fine, but the rooms are mediocre, the staff is generally eager and great, but the porters, maybe not so much. I think the hotel maybe just needs a little bit of a tune up.

I was really struggling deciding to give this place a 4/5 or a 3/5... I ended up picking the latter, but am still kind of on the fence. For this class of hotel, I think a 4/5 would be an excellent score and 5/5 nearly impossible as this is not Luxury accommodations by any sense of the meaning.

Room Tip: Go high to stay away from street noise, but not sure if the Premier level rooms are any better than...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrjsuss
This hotel like all Kimptons was created from another building, we call it repurposing, when you create a hotel out of a box you end up with all sorts of sizes and shaped rooms, and from what you are describing, guessing you ended up in a smaller room. Some are big and some are small, sorry for your frustrations. Those light switches have never been called 'ugly' before but then they are a light switch and never have been acused of being beautiful. Your story about the open tote bag is unusual and confusing but delighted that whatever fell out of your open bag was found and returned to you. Delighted that you enjoy Kimpton hotels and hope you will journey back here to try out one of the three other hotels in the city!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We just spent a long weekend at the hotel . . . rented two rooms under the same name and had not a single hitch. Everyone at the hotel is helpful and friendly. Wine hour is perfect. The drinks in the hotel bar are unique and delicious. Even the internet service is quick and easy (and free if you are a rewards member!).

We especially love the décor - a combination of elegant and modern, with a touch of middle eastern thrown in. Recommended for anyone wanting a nice getaway.

Room Tip: There is no pool - couldn't get the dots to go away!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thanks Jo, not sure why people keep asking us about a pool if it is listed on some travel web site we dont have anythig to do with it! Delighted that you picked up on the design theme, yep there is a little middle eastern thrown into a collection of oriental, french and greek! Sazerac mixes up a special combination of cocktails every week, come back up and give this weeks special a try!
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The staff at Hotel Monaco Seattle made out wedding anniversary special. We didn't ask for any special treatment but we got it. When I emailed them to extend our reservation they were very prompt and accommodating. From the moment I pulled up to valet parking to the moment we drove away the staff we interacted with remembered us from day to day. Because my wife and I are living 5 hours apart right now we met in Seattle. The valet's knew we had arrived in separate cars and made special care to ask which car we needed when even when we switched it up on them and swapped cars. The front desk staff was great, remembering us by name each day. The room was ready when we arrived and had been upgraded. We were surprised to come back in the evening to find a bottle of bubbly and a card. We will staying here again for sure.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thanks Jacob, any Kimpton hotel is a great place for a special event or place to escape for a non event. Those guys out front really connect with the guests and we notice things, here you are so much more than just a room number. You should have included a romantic dinner, just up the street is Tulio and it doesnt get much better than that, a bottle of wine and pasta, perfection! Come back soon.