“First-rate stay at Seattle boutique hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Ranked #8 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“First-rate stay at Seattle boutique hotel”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My family had a brief stay in Seattle following a cruise to Alaska, and we decided to stay at the Hotel Monaco in part due to its location (downtown in the hotel district=no need for a rental car) as well as the great reviews it received. The hotel did not disappoint! First, in terms of service, I found the hotel extremely accommodating. We requested an early arrival, since we were coming into port early that morning and didn't want to wait till late afternoon to check-in. I called the hotel when we arrived in port, and the staff was able to accommodate my request, getting us into our room at 10am, and giving us a chance to rest and relax before lunchtime. In addition, we were warmly greeted at the front desk, and given a bag of goodies as part of a promotional special we had chosen.

The hotel itself has a funky, modern vibe--the decor in the lobby and the room in which we stayed feels fun and fresh. We stayed in a suite, with a curtain separating the bedroom area from the "living room" area. We found it spacious for the four of us, and the pull-out couch--while about as comfortable as you'd expect a pull-out couch to be--was perfectly fine for our purposes. Everything in the room was clean, neat, and again, great modern vibe to the room. They even supply a goldfish to keep you company, which the kids got a kick out of.

The location of the hotel is ideal--we walked from the hotel to Pike's Place Market, then to a shopping area, took the monorail to the Space Needle, then walked back to the hotel from the monorail station. Certainly, there's more to see in Seattle, but given we were only in town for about a day, we were in a great location to take in some of the key sights of the city.

A few tips: (1) I'd recommend signing up for Kimpton's InTouch member program, if only because it gives you access to free wifi at their hotels; and (2) although there is a restaurant and room service available at the hotel, if you are looking for a quick breakfast before heading out for the airport, there is a Starbucks located right next door--for the cost of what four glasses of OJ would have cost us via room service, we were able purchase enough breakfast sandwiches, scones, juice, and yogurt from Starbucks for a breakfast for four.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Wow! you should be writing these responses. As mentioned above, this is the Monte Carlo Suite, we have about 20 of them and they are great for a family or for a special treat. Signing up for Kimpton In Touch gets you all sorts of good things, the free wifi is one of them, but you will also be in the loop for Kimpton specials and news updates, our web site is full of information when you travel anywhere in the US. There is a Starbucks next door and a Seattle's Best across the street, however if you feel a little splurge coming on, try the 'Eggs in Hell' in Sazerac or through room service, I dream of it at night!
Tom.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My airline put me up there several years ago (1999 or 2000) on an SEA layover and it left an impression; I've always wanted to return to this hotel.

Service was excellent, very friendly, welcoming staff. The entire crew loved the hotel; we had great rooms. Kudos, Hotel Monaco! I'll be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank April H
Wow, that is some long wait. Glad we didn't disappoint. The Stripes and purple chairs of your first visit are gone but hope that you liked the new look, a little funky alot of style.
California
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We don't usually stay in boutique hotels but this looked like the best option with my husband's miles. We were very pleasantly surprised with the Hotel Monaco. It was recently renovated so everything looked clean and new. Nice colorful but tasteful decor. Hotel was less than 10 minute walk to Pike Place, great shopping and the new Great Wheel. Easy walk with stroller if you take 4th all the way to Pike. Neighborhood was busy but not crowded and felt safe even at night.

Kids LOVED the hotel. You may need to ask but they will give a goldfish for your room, a goody bag, a free toy from the treasure chest and if you fill out the "scavenger hunt" in the goody bag they'll bring warm cookies and milk to your room. Unfortunately my kids only like chocolate chip and they brought oatmeal raisin and pb cookies. Very nice touch though and my husband and I enjoyed them. Free Starbucks coffee and tea in the morning, lemonade in the afternoon and 5:00 wine. They ran out of coffee and lemonade one day but you can probably ask them to refill it.

We had some problems with our air conditioning but it was fixed quickly and they compensated by giving us free movies AND free parking! At $39/nt that more than made up for the inconvenience. (Call valet before you head down and they'll have your car waiting for you.) Our room wasn't cleaned when we returned at 3 p.m. but they quickly took care of that. No microwaves for heating milk but they let you use the one in the Porter's room. Pillows are super hard but you can ask for feather ones.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Monaco and will definitely consider staying there again on our next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank liv2travel
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
As a parent myself, I completely connect with your comments and we hold meetings at this hotel on how to connect with kids. All the items you mentioned are there to make the place a little more special for children (although oatmeal raisin cookies is a stretch, must do something about that) glad we could make the stay special. there are also some great kid options in Sazerac, the chicken strips are home made and I encourage my boy to order them frequently, knowing full well that they will drift my way...
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times and in the last stay was put in room 804. It is literally a postage stamp of a room - does not reflect the quality of other rooms in this hotel at all. Right behind the elevator too, so you get to hear the woosh of air as the cars go by. Definitely seek a change if you have a room ending in "4". This was unusual as I am part of their loyalty program, stay in their hotels all over the country with some frequency, and am usually a big fan. This demonstrates the variability in rooms with boutique hotels, and it is worth sharing this sort of info with other travelers. Frankly, 804 should not really be a guest room in this hotel - and definitely not at the "full" rate they charged. If I got it a second time, without a steep discount, I would never choose to stay at the Monaco again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank smckd
Well that's a little severe in your description, actually I lived in one of those 04 rooms for sometime when I first moved to Seattle and thought it quite wonderful. Nope, would not want to be in there with 2 kids, but for a single or 2 people the room is smaller with a very cozy feel, The hotel runs pretty busy and those rooms are sold most nights, yours is the first comment in a long time I have had on them. We are always striving to have guests happy, hey if you don't like your room, come on down to the desk and we will always see what we can do!
Reviewed August 9, 2012

What an amazing experience! A fabulous weekend with the girls! The staff was fun and friendly and offered great ideas of the local sites and attractions to enhance our weekend further. I had taken cooking classes at the Hotel Monaco which are always fantastic and the girls and I are planning on attending one together as soon as we can. The food was delicous as usuall and the decor beautiful. Thanks again to the hotel Monaco for another delightful experience!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank innan911
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I had the most amazing weekend at Hotel Monaco. The staff was so gracious and full of wonderful suggestions for places to see. It is located within walking distance to everything. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnacortesUSA
Reviewed August 9, 2012

If you want to be in the heart of Seattle having a fantastic time make sure you stay at the Hotel Monaco. Their service was 5 star all the way and the food was incredible. We thought maybe we would go out to local restaurants but after eating at the Hotel we changed our mind and stayed in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends