“Kitschy But Comfortable And Convenient”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Ranked #7 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Hotel Monaco Seattle is a clean hotel centrally and conveniently located in downtown Seattle. Its attempts to set itself apart as a modernesque boutique hotel — with unusual decor and room design — are kitschy. But the room itself was clean and the bed was comfortable. Also, there was significant interior painting in the lobby when I stayed there in early April 2012, which obviously made lobby loitering unpleasant. Considering the great deal I secured on one of the discount hotel websites ($94/night incl. taxes), however, I considered the hotel stay to have been a great value and therefore entered a four-star rating. If I had paid retail (apparently closer to $200/night), the Monaco would definitely not merit a four-star rating. Also, as with any other downtown hotel in Seattle, expect to pay exorbitant rates for parking.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,442)

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have stayed here a few times now, in a few different rooms and have never been disappointed. Very family friendly, the staff all gave special attention to our three year old daughter, and they have a box of toys for kids in the lobby. We joined their "Kimpton In-touch" membership last visit, and were rewarded with free internet, and a $10 "raid the mini-bar coupon", we told them that we were celebrating our anniversary, and they sent up a bottle of wine. Overall the hotel has an upscale, classy atmosphere, without making you feel bad for bringing your kids, or dog for that matter. We will continue coming here when we are in Seattle.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The rooms and location of Hotel Monaco are great but the staff consistently gave us lame restaurant recommendations (one was closed down and don't bother with Blue Acre for seafood) and when we complained that having the room next to the maids service closet meant waking up at 7am each morning to the sound of them opening and slamming the door shut over and over again - they did nothing to remedy it.
We also asked for bus directions and they gave us a wrong schedule and told us to stand on the wrong avenue.
The hotel itself is nice but the staff was no help at all.
And be forewarned - parking is $40 a day for guests!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Thanks for the note. Blue Acre! I love Blue Acre, its one of my favorite seafood places in town, sorry you must have been there on an off night, we all have them. Can't possibly imagine what that noise you were hearing was, as the housekeeping staff don't start until 8:30, perhaps some inconsiderate neighbor. Appreciate knowing about the issues with the directions, we are on it!

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Nice hotel... great location.
Fairly clean. I have three long black hairs in my bath tub...
and a short black hair in my lavatory sink...
ugh...
otherwise... it was ok.
Walls must be thin, I could really hear the people next door talking... NOT YELLING..
just 'talking'..
SOOOOOOO... I think why I got such a good sleep, it was due to my ""EAR PLUGS""....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Yikes, thats not good. I hope you complained. A word for all, if you have an issue, just walk down to the desk and let them know about it, we have a staff of dedicated and energetic folks who are here to make any situation better. I can't imagine how something like that was over looked as the rooms are cleaned and then inspected before being released, but I know the Executive Housekeeper is looking at this and getting nervous that his boss is also reading it.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

From the reception to the check out, I received wonderful service. The evening wine and cheese was a delight; and the room service was a welcome pleasure. I have stayed here on many occasions, and any of the rooms are first class. Bell service is outstanding.

Room Tip: corner rooms are spacious and some have scenic views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
GMatthehotel, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

We are a down town hotel and like most of the buildings in Seattle we face another building, its true, some of the corner rooms face the Public Library, which has been noted as one of the top 10 greatest buildings in America. So if you are looking for a view, that would be the one. However the rooms are so darn good looking that you might not look out the window at all!

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I checked in yesterday, thought I'd do a quick review. I stayed at the Monaco about a year ago, thought it was great, definitely had a Wow factor, so decided Memorial Day weekend would be great to stay again. I booked a premier room, stayed in that before and, well, I didn't pay much attention to the pictures of the hotel since I knew what to expect. What a great surprise to realize it has all be recently remodeled! The comfort is great, I travel like a mad fool for biz for I'm used to my bed being heavenly, so my expectations are comfort but I don't like to stay at the corp travel chains when it is personal time. Monaco fit the bill - really sharp, stylish room updates, fantastic living room area to relax in, and the bed is super comfy, as well as just really cool looking.
A recent review said there was no hot water for a few days, I definitely have not found that to be a problem, and none of the issues I've run into with other older Seattle hotels where the temp fluctuates in the morning as all the rooms wake up.
Location is great, easy walk to the waterfront and great walk back up hill to burn off dinner, or a $5 cab ride if feeling lazy. Museum, Pikes Market, shopping, nightlife are all practically crawling distance outside the door (um, I guess that is more coming back after a night of drinking!).
I did valet parking, and the cost is about the same as most other downtown hotels - so be prepared if you drive. There are garages around to park in if you want a few bucks cheaper, but in and out costs will get close to the hotel and you'll lose the convenience of just calling for the car when you want it.
Internet is critical for me, no such thing as being disconnected even on a long weekend. The internet service was great last time and again has been solid and reliable the times I've needed it. There are a few nearby hotels that I have stayed at that charm the usual arm and a leg and the service is spotty at best, so here is another area where the Monaco shines.
My particular room is on the street, and I was a bit worried about level of street noise, but it is whisper quiet, even extremely limited/low noise from the hallways. Great for relaxing and not feeling like the neighbors are having their little, well, whatever they are doing, in your room or right outside your door.
And the attention to small service details has been great - refreshing lemonade on arrival, some wine before heading out or after coming back in from a day of fun, and coffee in the morning to get you going all over again, and all in the lobby area. Super friendly greetings from the valet to front desk to the cleaning staff. Yep, overall I really like the place, a great departure from my usual corporate hotel options, all the creature comforts I still expect, and both friendliness and sizzle so that I know I am on a getaway, not just another biz trip.
And if you haven't figured it out by now, I do recommend the place. Book it soon for your next trip, I think you'll be glad you did (and I don't even work for these guys!).

Room Tip: I prefer the premier room, rather than the base - a little more cost, but a lot more space with acce...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

What can I say. With your writing ability you should be answering these reviews, not me! You nailed all the positives and gave a suggestion, this gets you an A+ and a thank you from me!

Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for four days for a conference. Three of those days there was no hot water, and the front desk acted like I was inconveniencing them by complaining. I was told several times they were aware of the problem and were working on it. After my second cold shower I asked to be moved to another room and the girl told me that most of my floor didn't have hot water and they couldn't move everyone so I should be patient. If she had been a little nicer about it it may have been less infuriating. Day three I had a hot shower finally, but it was cold again the last day, so I skipped it and just waited until I got home. Seriously, I have been on camping trips with more hot water. For the price of this hotel, a completely unacceptable level of service. None of the staff I talked to ever offered an apology, they all just said that it was due to recent renovations.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank rspswrl

Here is another tip, if you don't have hot water for 3 days, call the General Manager. I have asked around and no one recalls a situation like this, which I would personally consider hideous as a shower fiend in the morning. Does that mean we never have had an issue, nope - just like home things happen and break, but even with our recent remodel 3 days would make the staff here pretty active about it. I am so very sorry if this was the case and remember we are here to help, not compete with a camping trip for as a challenge.