“Service does not get worse than this!”

Westmark Inn Skagway
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Skagway
Reviewed April 28, 2009

the "Welcome" was the rudest one I ever experienced! Service is poor, price is high! Only good thing is location. Rooms are hot and noisy in summer.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank quattromonti

Reviewed August 25, 2008

The hotel is owned by Holland America/Westours, the Seattle tour company. Its primary summer use is as an overnight way station for cruise ship and bus passengers. Its lack of ambience fits that use.

I stayed in the "new" section across the street. The room was shaped like a small shoebox. There was room for a bed, dresser, nightstands and one chair; which filled it up. Instead of a closet, there was a chrome rack with some hangers attached to the wall. The TV was small, but it had an okay selection including Showtime.

When I opened the door, I was hit by stuffy 80-degree air. The heat was off, but the room still cooked. The room had one very narrow fixed window. At its base there was a small sliding pane with a screen. But since no cross ventilation was possible, the window did nothing to air the room. So I sat for an hour with the front door wide open to the outside until the room cooled and freshened. I really disliked this.

The bathroom was clean and modern. It was nice to have a high volume shower, so rare in hotels these days. Given the fact Skagway is in a temperate rain forest, there is no shortage of water.

Skagway is tiny. But there still are better rooms available for less money in town. I suggest you check the reviews before settling for the Westmark.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Cheechako2
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed at the Westmark Inn Skagway as part of a Holland America Cruise Tour.

This hotel isn't much to look at from the outside. However, we found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating. My mother-in-law was traveling with us and needed to check in early for health reasons. We made the request from the cruise ship and found that they were able to accomodate her.

All of the basic amenities worked fine. The room was immaculate, there was plenty of hot water, the mattress was firm and the TV worked fine.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Whenever I visit Alaska or the Yukon I generally stay at a Westmark Hotel. The Westmark Skagway is, by far, one of the most disappointing of their properties. I stayed there for one night while traveling through Skagway to Dawson City and then for two nights on my return from Dawson. The rooms were noisey and I could hear every sound from the neighbors room. The interior is quite run down and does not look that clean. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful but the restaurant staff was disappointing. The restaurant was clearly geared to serve tour groups rather than smaller parties. One evening, after waiting for 20 minutes to even get acknowledged, I left and looked for some place else to eat in Skagway. The second night, when there was not a tour group being served, I found the service much better. From the moment you enter the lobby and rooms you know that this is a seasonal establishment. The place clearly resembles a place that is operated for only a few months each year before being boarded up for the other 8 months. Despite the problems, I think it has a great location and is the best motel in Skagway. Its not bad for a night or two as long as one remembers that its just a place for a short stopover while one is on his or her way to more exciting destinations.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We drove to Skagway from Whitehorse. There's not many choices in Skagway and the Westmark Inn is definitely the largest in town. It consisted of the main building with 2 other buildings across the street. We booked our room 6 months in advance knowing we'd be there during the peak of the busy season.

We arrived at 1pm and they wouldn't let us in until 2pm. Kind of an abrupt response when I asked to check in. So we wandered around town in the rain for an hour.

When we went back we got a different front desk person, but the attitude was still the same. Maybe the rainy weather was getting to the seasonal help. We were given a room across the road on the upper level.

Parking can be tight as there were only 4 spots in front of that building and probably 20+ rooms. Not sure where they make everyone else park, but I suppose there's lots of people coming into town on train and boat.

The room is just like any other motel. Very simple and basic. It could be a little small if you have kids, and if you have lots of luggage you should request a room on the main floor so you don't have to lug everything up the stairs.

They said internet was available for a fee, but I couldn't get connected to the wifi. I can't imagine it would be cheap either.

The restaurant in the hotel was a disappointment. I would suggest you find food elsewhere. Red Onion Saloon or the Sweet Tooth Cafe. Or walk down by the cruise ship docks as there's a couple of nice restaurants down there as well.

Location is great, but I can't see anything in town having a bad location since this is a small seasonal tourist town.

Overall, we just needed a clean room and that's what we got.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Wasn't expecting to stay in Skagway but ferry broke down so found the first hotel I could.
Reception was not overwelming but to there credit let me check in at 11am ( out of season )The room was small but adequate with all essentials and I could park the car outside. This was across the road from the main building.
The restaurant was closed until June.
Wireless internet has to be paid for! There are computers available free in the main hotel, but these are likely to be heavily used in the main season.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank dunera
Reviewed July 21, 2007

After reading all the terrible reviews about this place, I knew I didn't want to stay there during my trip. As it turned out, other places were sold out, and we ended up there for one night. I expected the worst, and it really wasn't half bad. The worst thing I can say is that the room smelled a bit musty like smoke and the bed was rather boxey, but overall was just fine. The location was great, as we were able to stumble back from the Red Onion. Although I probably woudn't stay here again if I had the choice, my experience was just fine. A mediocre, nonromantic average room for an average rate.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SkagwayLover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skagway
Halsingland Hotel
#3 of 5 in Skagway
Beach Roadhouse
Beach Roadhouse
#1 of 4 in Haines

Been to Westmark Inn Skagway? Share your experiences!