“Kathy and Fred are great hosts!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Skagway
Chilkoot Trail Outpost
Ranked #1 of 5 Skagway B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 16, 2011

My family and I stayed here for six nights in mid-June. My two sons and I spent three nights hiking the Chilkoot Trail while my wife stayed behind. Kathy and Fred helped make many of our arrangements and made my wife feel welcome. The accommodations are first rate in a quiet location next to Dyea and the start of the Chilkoot trail. They even have a car available to rent which they will leave for you at airport or dock If you are hiking the trail or visiting the area, stay here and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed May 30, 2011

What a week! It's hard to find the words to describe our splendid week at The Chilkoot Trail Outpost. When I first read about this lodge and cabins on line, I thought it required a phone call. When I talked to Katy , one of the owners, she said come on up , we will keep you busy. I thought what could we do for a whole week in Dyea/Skagway? Kathy booked everything for us, from a hike and float, fast boat to Haines, train ride up the Whitehorse Pass, a fast catamaran trip to Juneau for a day seeing whales, sealions, eagles, dolphins, and a drive to Whitehorse where we saw four brown bears along the roadside.. The week went so fast there were things we still did not get to do.
As for the lodge itself, the cabins are roomy, clean, neat and very comfortable, but the warmth comes from Kathy and Fred, nicer, friendlier people you cannot meet. We enjoyed talking to Fred as he grew up in the area and can tell lots of stories about Dyea and Skagway. He always had a campfire going in the evening for roasting marshmellow's and making s'mores. It was a great time to wind down from the day and talk with other lodgers. So interesting.
Kathy not only booked all our activities but greeted us every morning with a home cooked breakfast. Although the lodge in located in Dyea about seven miles from Skagway, we looked forward to the drive as the scenery was spectacular. After a busy day it was nice to get back to the peace and quiet of our cabin.
I have to say this is a perfect place and I give it a five star with no hesitation. If you are in this area of Alaska, this is a must stay place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We travelled down here from the Yukon to spend a couple of days in Skagway to check out the local area. We found this place to be very well located and very quiet. There was no one else in the cabins while we were there for the two nights so things were a little too quiet as we were looking forward to spending time by the campfire.
The rooms were very clean and the bedding and furniture was top quality. The food we had for breakfast however was very poor. It was just some scrambled eggs tossed in the microwave and heated up with cheese on top. And a few plates of fruit and bagels.
The hospitality was very good and the owners were very friendly and helpful and very proud of the area and happy to give as much information about the local area as possible.
If you are an early morning person and love to get out and about at the crack of dawn with the rest of the gang, then this is the place for you as they prefer to have breakfast over and done with by 8am.
We even got to see a bear, so that was worth while!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank cmtreloar
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Our management team went up for three days of planning and were all delighted with the accommodations, hospitality, cleanliness and comfort food. Everything was impeccable. They even set up a campfire for us to cook s'mores. It was an ideal location and the beds were comfortable and clean. It was quiet and our evening walks were filled with wildlife and scenic, historic beauty. Kathy and Fred Hosford were the perfect hosts. You wouldn't expect water pressure and hot water to be available in a cabin at the end of the road but it was strong and plentiful. I'll be back with my husband.

Room Tip: Cabin 4 had two single beds and one double.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We discovered this little treasure while shooting a documentary series about the Klondike Gold Rush. The location was so great that my colleagues and I decided to make the Chilkoot Trail Outpost our base camp, spending over a month in the area. Kathy and Fred were the most generous hosts you could ask for and spent most of their days helping us out with the oddest of requests. They have no idea how easier they made our jobs! They knew all about the history of Dyea, as well as the people who live in the area, and their location is just fantastic, just down the road from the head of the Chilkoot Trail. The BBQ area is fantastic and allowed us to make some nice dinners for our large crew. It's also a great place to sit and chat and meet other tourists! Their large campfire space is just awesome and we spent many a night there unwinding under the midnight sun. We even held a few crew meetings there! I can't say enough about the kindness of the entire staff and how generous they were with us. They provided a great breakfast buffet, and even helped us out with lunches and dinners. They won't let you go to bed without having a S'more by the campfire either! They are wonderful people to be around and getting to know them was great. The different log cabins are just gorgeous and I don't think I've ever slept in a more comfortable bed.
We were fortunate that we found this oasis in Dyea and that they were willing to welcome us with open arms. I doubt the stay in Skagway would have been so wonderful. If you're hiking the Chilkoot Trail, or spending any time in Skagway, it's worth the 20 min. drive to Dyea just to stay at the Outpost. If you're lucky, you'll even see a few bears!
I don't know what we would have done without the Chilkoot Trail Outpost and their staff. During our three month documentary shoot, they made us feel right at home and for that we our so grateful! Our crew was always thrilled to return to the Outpost after a tough stay on the trail, and I have only fond memories of my stay at the Outpost. If I'm ever back in the area, I won't be staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I visited twice this place. Very homy, clean, friendly. Tons of what to do every day. If you want to escape from your busy life - this is the place to go. Dive into adventure. Spectacular landscape, trails, wild animal life etc.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed here for just three splendid nights on our way up into the Yukon and wished we could stay longer to enjoy the warm hospitality of Kathy and Fred. The hosts are Alaskan born and bred and if you stay here, you will find them the nicest people you have met.

The cabins are kept to a very high standard, with extras you do not normally find in a B&B such as sugary sweets, popcorn, microwave, hairdryer and so on. It is spotlessly clean, beds are comfortable too. It is cleaned every morning with fresh towels. Wifi is provided free of charge and covers the whole lodge area, including the campfire site. There is one cabin with wheelchair access, plus the dining area of the house and gazebo.

The gazebo contains two gas bbq units, fridge, bar, radio, microwave and even the kitchen sink. The hosts (at extra cost) can provide absolutely delicious seasoned steak, salmon and halibut along with the fabled homemade coleslaw made by Kathy.

Next to this is the campfire site with seating and picnic tables scattered around, and Fred starts the fire every evening using wood as fuel. It is a good time to try their free s'mores - marshallows interbedded with chocolate sandwiched between Graham crackers!

The site is close to the Dyea area - the site of an abandoned Klondike town that moved to present-day Skagway when the White Pass railway opened and is also just opposite a river. It is however, a fair way from Skagway town itself, but the hosts do have free bicycles (men, women and kid bikes) to borrow, or rent one of their cars.

Getting there/back from Skagway: They picked us up from the Skagway ferry terminal late at night and dropped us off at the Skagway train station early on the morning of our departure. Skagway is very touristy, so if you're staying a while, you probably won't make frequent trips anyway except to stock up on food.

In short, forget about any other accommodation in Skagway, and do yourselves a favour, and stay here. I am coming back here next year, just to stay here!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skagway
Westmark Inn Skagway
Beach Roadhouse
Beach Roadhouse
#1 of 4 in Haines
House No. 1 Fort Seward B&B

Been to Chilkoot Trail Outpost? Share your experiences!