“Right in the heart of town!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skagway
Sgt. Preston's Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skagway
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our Alaska trip started off in Juneau and we took the ferry from Juneau to Skagway.It is a 61/2 hour trip including a stop in Haines to load and offload passengers and vehicles.1 hour from Haines is Skagway a beautiful scenic town still lost in its past.Sgt Preston's van picked us up from the ferry and the ride must have been no longer than 5 minutes to the lodge. Nothing fancy as a reception area but the rooms have been updated and are spacious and the bathrooms are big.All staff are pleasant and make your stay great.A short walk and you are in the heart of the town to explore the many shops and historical sites.Surrounded by mountains this will be our accomodation when we return again.Just a note as we were leaving Skagway it was getting really busy with the cruise ships so if possible try for last week of May into the first 2 weeks of June to beat the rush.It just so happened we timed it perfectly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lesley k
There are newer reviews for Sgt. Preston's Lodge

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Sgt. Preston's Lodge is located right in the heart of Skagway, one block from Broadway (the main shopping street). We booked a deluxe room as there were four of us (two adults, two kids) and we needed some extra space. The hotel room was spacious, clean, decor was a little dated but comfortable beds, bathroom was HUGE and the shower was hot and powerful. Staff were friendly and helpful and we were able to check in early which was useful as we had arrived in Skagway in our summer clothes, only to find it very cold and we wanted to change into warmer things right away.

The thing that made me chuckle was the very strongly-worded notice about pets on the back of the door (see photo). I guess there have been issues in the past with people hiding dogs in their rooms (although I understand some of the rooms are pet-friendly) - so if you are planning to bring your dog with you, you have been warned!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

What a pleasant surprise we had when we arrived at this nice lodge. Gardens blooming with flowers and rhubarb. Our room was even a better surprise, bright, roomy and very comfy. Large bath furnished with all the cleansing goodies and nice big towels. The beds and pillows are wonderfully fresh and plush. I realized I'd left my credit card somewhere the next day as I was checking in at our next stop. Thinking back, I remembered I'd called to check on my balance and had left the card on the table in that nice room. Upon calling, I was assured that my card was in good hands, and they had no problem with mailing it ahead to me so I would have it when I got to my sister's home. Very nice accommodating folks. You'll be happy with your stay at this most pleasant place.

Room Tip: Room 8 is a nice corner room if you like bright airy rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RCapt
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I were traveling through Skagway on our way to Juneau and in our attempts to beat getting stuck at the pass in snow, arrived two days early to Skagway. Teri and Chris were wonderful hosts and made every accomodation for us to get a room on no-notice and the room was exceptional and we had roadside parking for our travel trailer. The Lodge is exceptionally clean and well decorated, with everything a traveler needs, to include information on the local things to see and do. This will be the place I stay on my birding trips to Dyea and Skagway. Top Notch!
LM

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms, and really liked both. If internet access is desired, ask for a r...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My sister and I were traveling from Anchorage to California. We planned our trip out for 2 weeks. Reserved hotels in various cities. Because Sgt. Preston"s was really the ONLY place in town that excepted pets we e-mail the hotel asking for a 2 bed deluxe room. A person replied to e-mail and told us that there was a deluxe room available for the night we were planing on saying in Skagway. So I called them on the phone and booked the room. When we arrived at the hotel we found that we had a 1 bed room. I went to the lobby to ask them why we didn't get the room we requested and one lady lied and said that she told me over the phone that the room we requested was not available. She argued with me. I told her that we had an e-mail from the hotel that said that they they had the room we requested available.

Room Tip: Don't trust them.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Debra H
ChrisandTeriV, Owner at Sgt. Preston's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Your review is not truthful and if your going to put something like
this out there you should at least be truthful.
First of all you booked on March 22, 2012 ( which is not two weeks out
there) Second this was Easter Weekend we were totally booked on Saturday
March 30th, 2013. You booked for March 29th, 2013 which was not a problem.
On March 29th, ( date of check-in) you called and asked if you could change
date to Saturday March 30th, 2013, this was only possible because of a last
minute cancellation and the desk clerk tried to tell you this along with the fact
that the room had only one queen bed. I went back thru your e-mails and no
where did you indicate that you needed a room with two beds and that you
were two women traveling together. Desk clerk was just trying to help you!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

The room was amazing. Nice, clean, and quiet! I was so impressed. I wish I knew about this place on our first night there not the last.
Hands down beats every other hotel there!!!
You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samantha K
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Based on reviews right here..I selected this hotel and made a reservation knowing this would be our first taste of civilization after five nights on the Chilkoot Trail. And fellow adventurers, we made the right choice! Before heading out to the trail with our permits, Sgt. Preston allowed us to drop some luggage off at the hotel where they held it until we returned (or until our next of kin came to claim it). We hadn't even stayed a night and already they were delivering great customer service!

Our tired bodies came into the room five days later and we found a clean and comfortable room. We were a little warm so we tried turning the air on via the thermostat but it didn't work. We cracked open the wndows and cooled off that way. We didn't bother calling the front desk because we fixed our own problems. My wife did go to the office for more towels because the three of us were going to get our money's worth from the shower. Plenty of hot water!

Skagway isn't the type of city I'd want to spend more than a couple days in and I didn't. The brewery is two blocks away and they probably had the most predictable and satisfying food. Sgt. Preston is a property comprised of apartments as well as short stay hotel rooms. Accordingly, the appearance varies from different perspectives. But in comparison with other properties, Sgt. Prestons is at the top of the food chain.

Room Tip: Reserve a room ahead of time!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank justthatgoodguyjim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skagway
Westmark Inn Skagway
Beach Roadhouse
Beach Roadhouse
#1 of 4 in Haines
Aspen Suites Hotel Haines

Been to Sgt. Preston's Lodge? Share your experiences!