“Helicopter/Dog Sled Tour”
Review of M & M Tours

M & M Tours
Ranked #39 of 50 Tours in Skagway
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We took the helicopter up to the Dog Sled Camp and it was incredible! Normally, I am afraid of heights, but I couldn't get enough pictures from up in the air! After a safety video and making sure we all had proper safety gear on, the helicopter took off and over the mountains and glaciers. Amazing views! At the dog sled camp (with over 200 dogs each with their own little home) we were able to meet our dog sled team, pet them and get to know our driver. There were 4 of us plus the driver on this ride. She stopped the team so each one of us could take turns up front and taking the second spot to help drive the team! Views were absolutely spectacular and for August, it wasn't too cold (I did wear multiple layers). The most fun after the ride was getting to hold the puppies that were born up on the mountain. Granted you have to hope for the weather to hold. We were able to go at 9:30 AM but by 2PM the rain canceled the later tours. We had no problem booking online at the website and via email, our tour was confirmed and ready when we arrived.

1  Thank Jewels149
in 8 reviews
"dock"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I booked a fishing trip thru M&M after our cruise excursion people said there were no fishing trips in Skagway.
We had a great experience with Captain Craig on his boat, the White Wing. He knew right where to take us and sure enough, my husband caught a fish! It was a wonderful time.
Thanks for making our Alaska trip complete.

1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We did the Hike and Float combination day tour. The hike was a 1.8 mile stroll through some beautiful terrain on part of the the Chilkoot Trail, followed by a short float down the Dyea River.
I didn't think it was possible to find Alaska dull, but this excursion did it. The hike part was so slow I literally could have crawled and kept pace. Our guide - a very nice guy named Chris - was either far overly concerned about making sure we all stayed very close together or was simply dragging out the trip to fill time. It was very obvious that we were going too slowly as the group constantly bunched up on each other. Chris would walk - very slowly - for about 20 feet and then stop for no apparant reason. Sometimes he talked about the vegitation, terrain, or history, but mostly he just stopped. There was no reason for this as all 10 people in our group were fit and showing no signs up needing a rest. I recognize that the first part of the hike was an uphill walk that required a slight bit of exersion, but even on the level and downhill part we went painfully slow.
The float was fine and uneventful - we knew going in there were no rapids - but frankly, this river valley was just not impressive compared to so much of the rest of Alaska that you necessarily have to travel through to get to Skagway.
Here's a good summary of the problem with this trip: During our van ride to the hike/float site, our guide stopped at the side of the road just to have us take a look at a small plain inlet/bay as if the inlet/bay was something special. This tour operator seems to have no clue that 99% of their business comes from cruise ship passengers who have passed 1000 far more beautiful inlets and bays.
I would avoid this trip at all costs. Take one of the many other excursions available, or just walk around touristy Skagway instead.

1  Thank stlbrychel
Reviewed June 13, 2012

M&M tours are located in a little red shack very close to the cruise ship port. I went there and booked a trip at the advertised price. But during the excursion I found out that most of the others in the group were charged substantially less then I was for the exact same tour from the same agency and same operator!
Although M&M boast that they are the only licensed agency in Skagway, others in town offer the exact same tours with the same operators for less. trust me, its not a large town, and only a few excursions offered by a few operators.
Needless to say, I was not only disapointed with the agent, but as it turns out, the excursion wasn't anything to brag on either. I did much better on a second trip through.

7  Thank KSWilson24
See more reviews
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Avoid these people- we had made reservations on the phone (unable to make online at their website) for the dogsled tour in Skagway in April when the price was $109. When we arrived in Skagway and went to their booth- they claimed we had never made the reservation and the price was now $139. Since they had never sent a confirmation we assume they canceled all of the lower priced reservations and were now charging the new higher price (which was higher than the cruise ship). They unfortunately have no competition since they have a exclusive marketing agreement for tours in Skagway.

1  Thank beechbum530

Been to M & M Tours? Share your experiences!