“Can't imagine staying anywhere else in Skagway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Skagway
Alaskan Sojourn Hostel
San Francisco, California
“Can't imagine staying anywhere else in Skagway”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Alaska Sojourn Hostel lives up to all its praise. Gary and Janilyn are welcoming, kind, informative and interesting. Our group of six felt instantly at ease. They have set up the hostel with everything you need to make yourself at home. It is clean, safe and convenient to everything in Skagway. Their recommendations for places to eat and things to do were perfect. By request we spent part of one lovely evening listening to their son Lucas, a talented musician, play guitar and sing original songs. We were sorry to have to say goodbye, and if we came back, it would be the place that we'd want to stay.

Notes on Skagway: You can get everywhere in Skagway on foot even if you aren't a big walker, and even then, if you get tired, the local door-to-door on-call buses are amazingly convenient and cheap. And we loved the way the streets empty at 6 pm of all the cruise ship passengers. With places like this to stay at in Skagway, there's no reason not to take the ferries around SE Alaska rather than a cruise ship. You'll have an even better time and the chance to make friends wherever you go.

Room Tip: Don't be shy about staying in the tiny cabin; it is perfectly comfortable for two.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have done my fair share of travel and stayed at plenty of hostels - I can say that without a doubt this is one of the best that I have ever stayed at. It is not your typical hostel - as others have commented, it does feel like a home away from home.

Janilyn and Gary make you feel very comfortable and I can't praise their warmth, fun and hospitality enough. I have lived in many great share-houses and this reminded me of those experiences - waking up, going down to the kitchen to make brekky and having a chat, discussing the day's plans and just general conversation. I love that!

I felt that this hostel beautifully complemented Skagway. I found the town to be very welcoming, down-to-earth, super friendly and full of great characters. Overall, I can't imagine my wonderful experience in Skagway would have been the same without my stay here.

I highly recommend this place for those social travellers wishing to make new friends, share some great adventure stories and feel cozy and comfortable.

Thanks again Janilyn and Gary!!

P.S If you're lucky enough to be there at a time that Dennis is visiting Janilyn and Gary, be sure to strike up a chat with him - great bloke!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FredyM198
Douglas, Alaska
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is a great place to stay, very clean, inviting, and warm. There are 3 dorm rooms, 2 private rooms and the crib cabin in the yard. I selected the small cabin, the bed takes up most of the space with standing room only along the bed which was tall and amazingly comfortable with plenty of blankets, it was a fabulous experience! Common areas include the kitchen, living room, bathroom and a enclosed porch all with plenty of seating. I enjoyed some time on the porch decorating my own clothesline clip to add to the collection of other travelors. The owner was very gracious and helpful. Everything is within walking distance. I would stay here again and again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shannon S
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I were on our first trip to Alaska, using the Alaska Marine Highway ferries. We went to motels and B&B places in Ketchikan, Haines, and Juneau, but just for something different we decided to stay at this hostel in Skagway. What a nice place! We had it to ourselves the days we were there and it was great. The market is a short walk down toward town and it was a nice change to make some food for ourselves. Janilyn came over to see how we were doing and allowed us to use the washer and dryer, although they are normally reserved for hostel laundry.Can't say enough good things about this place. Another thing that is cool is the Skagway bus system. Make a phone call and five minutes later the bus arrives and for two dollars gets you where you want. Thanks for the great visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Geoff B
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed August 31, 2012

When I first arrived in Skagway last May, I wasn't sure what I was going to do for work or where I was going to stay long term. I was fortunate enough to have picked the Alaskan Sojourn Hostel as my place to stay for the first week though - the hostel is a well-kempt, comfortable place to sleep, eat, and relax. It was conveniently located for my daily job hunt around town, well within walking distance of Skagway's main attractions. It is also convenient in terms of distance to all of the amazing trails and outdoor locations surrounding Skagway. Even more impressive, however, was the service provided by the owners Gary and Janilyn - two of the friendliest and most genuine hosts I have ever met. They were kind enough to assist me in my job hunt over the first ten days I was in town. When I finally did find work, Gary gave me a ride to my new quarters in his awesome 1929 Model A Ford, saving me the trouble of carrying a bunch of heavy luggage across town.

I highly recommend this location to anyone seeking a comfortable, quiet, and friendly place to stay while in Skagway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have stayed in almost all the hostels in Alaska. But this one is special. The owners, Janilyn and Gary are friendly, kind and simply awesome! I also met some very interesting travelers who are open to sharing their travel experiences and made my short time in Skagway memorable. The hostel is cosy and almost homely. It is also very clean, quiet, professionally maintained, and rich in character. Its only a short walk from the Alaska Marine highway terminal, downtown shops and eateries and close to the trailheads if one is planning on hiking the great Alaskan outdoors in SE Alaska. Its a great value for money as well as for experience. I wish I could spend few more days there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank petepas05
Norwalk, Ohio
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have been staying at the Alaskan Sojourn Hostel for a couple of years now. Janilyn is a great hostess and the atmostphere is very relaxed. This is not a youth hostel; the guests tend to be older and the laid-back lifestyle of Skagway is very evident. It is a great place to stay and the only place I will stay in Skagway. Both locations are within walking distance of the main drag, which is Broadway. During the summer, Broadway is clogged with cruise ship passengers. Being off the beaten path is a nice touch. Affordable, clean, and quiet, I highly recommend it! Just remember to bring cash to pay for your stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jennifer250
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skagway
Westmark Inn Skagway
#2 of 4 in Haines
Historic Skagway Inn
Historic Skagway Inn
#4 of 5 in Skagway

Been to Alaskan Sojourn Hostel? Share your experiences!