“Beautiful and fun”

and up
Skagway Shore Excursion: Glassblowing Lesson at Jewell Gardens
Ranked #3 of 60 things to do in Skagway
More attraction details
Owner description: Escape to the tranquility of beautiful Jewell Gardens & Garden City Glassworks. Stroll Alaska's most spectacular certified organic Show Garden and watch the action at SE Alaska's only public Glassblowing Hot Shop. Book a tour for a unique hands-on "hot shop" adventure which is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to blow your own glass art in the Last Frontier! Join us for lunch or tea service at our restaurant "Poppies" where many of the meals served include organic produce picked fresh from our gardens. Open daily
Juneau, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beautiful and fun”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We went to Jewell Gardens primarily for the glass blowing, but ended up touring the gardens, and going to the restaurant (Posies) as well. We were traveling independently and had to call ahead to see if we could participate in the glass blowing tour (the tours are primarily set up for large groups from the cruise ships) . . .but Terry (at Jewell Gardens) was able to fit us in and it was a wonderful experience.

Dave demonstrated the glass blowing technique and had us participate in making our own ornament. It was fun & informative . . . and we have a gorgeous, handmade, glass ornament to take home.

The gardens are fabulous. We did a self-guided tour and I think we went through twice to make sure we didn't miss anything. They have vegetables and flowers, water features and a train layout. Throughout the garden are some amazing glass pieces. it is a beautiful setting and you can wander around for quite a while.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Karen P

Clovis, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't let looks deceive you”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

When we first pulled up I didn't think that this would be something that my husband and I would enjoy. We were both wrong! We had lunch, which was delicious, but it was geared more to a ladies tea than to a meat & potatoes type person.
Then Brenda took us on a tour of the gardens. They were well laid out and beautiful. Brenda was very knowledgeable and took time to answer questions about how things are grown in the extended sunlight.
After that we watched Travis blowing glass and explaining different types and techniques. Great personality!
I had several pieces sent home as Christmas gifts and they were waiting for us when we arrived.
Great people, beautiful gardens, and I would have missed it if I had gone with my first impression!

1 Thank Jann P
Rock Hill, South Carolina
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 362 helpful votes
“Worth a visit!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Our tour visited here for a tour and lunch before we went on the White Pass Railroad. The lunch was OK, not my thing, but my lady loved it. It is educational and interesting, and worth a visit!

Visited May 2013
Sedona, Arizona
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Best Glass Blowing Experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

A lot of visitors come here on tour buses and opt to participate in glass blowing. We visited on our own at a time when no other visitors had arrived. The gardens were lovely. They try to do the Chihuly thing with glass pieces "growing" among the real flowers. I didn't think that added to the already charming gardens with glacier-topped mountains in the background. What was great was that we had solo access to one of the glass blowers. He told us the how-to's of blowing glass, showed us how various designs are made, and showed us techniques he was working on. We even commissioned a piece for a friend which was waiting for us when we got home. Go early.

Los Angeles, California
“Glassblowing!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a fantastic day. The gardens were truly lovely and the tea was wonderful BUT The main adventure was getting to learn how to blow glass! We all got to go into the factory and make a christmas ornament or paperweight. They even ship them home for you so they arrive unbroken. My husband and 2 boys( 10 & 13 ) all made gorgeous glass pices and learning to blow glass and work the different colors in was a cool( well actually hot- 2000 degrees!)life experience Highly recommend!

Visited August 2013

Been to Jewell Gardens? Share your experiences!