“Beautiful, but limited gardens”
Review of Jewell Gardens

and up
Skagway Shore Excursion: Glassblowing Lesson at Jewell Gardens
Ranked #4 of 65 things to do in Skagway
More attraction details
Owner description: Escape to the tranquility of beautiful Jewell Gardens & Garden City Glassworks. Stroll Alaska's most spectacular certified organic Show Garden and watch the action at SE Alaska's only public Glassblowing Hot Shop. Book a tour for a unique hands-on "hot shop" adventure which is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to blow your own glass art in the Last Frontier! Join us for lunch or tea service at our restaurant "Poppies" where many of the meals served include organic produce picked fresh from our gardens. Open daily
Fort Wayne, Indiana
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 190 helpful votes
“Beautiful, but limited gardens”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We came here during a shore excursion to Skagway from a cruise ship. We walked around the charming town of Skagway (now more Downtown Disney than true Alaskan frontier) and then decided to walk to the Jewell Gardens about 2 miles away. Walking through the non-tourist part of the town revealed the range of houses here, some with fenced in yards with large dogs, possibly an Alaskan husky mix. Closer to the gardens, there was a beautiful vista of river and mountains. I imagine this is closer to the real Skagway than the town would reflect. The walk took about 45 minutes. We did have kids (down to age 3) with us and there was endless complaints, but the views were worthwhile to me. Got lots of beautiful photos.

The Jewell Gardens is a combination of landscaped garden and glass blowing demonstration. The gift shop shows some of the gorgeous glass creations. We paid for admission to the gardens. It is a small but meticulously landscaped garden with an artistic mixture of vibrant colors, huge and riotous annuals and perennials. The textures and colors were truly beautiful. To see the whole garden took about 25 minutes.

The glass blowing demonstrations, unfortunately, were for people who paid for the demonstrations and were off-limits for other visitors. To our bad luck, while we were there, it started to rain, and we were not allowed to wait out the rain in the glassblowing building. There was no other area where we could stand out of the rain, so we had to leave early.

We were able to take a wagon back to the ship. This is a wagon that drives through town. I think it's a few dollars per person.

Visited August 2012
5 Thank anonymousfortwayne

Larne, United Kingdom
264 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“Not impressed”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This one is a bit of a damp squib. Unimpressed by the whole place and if I hadn't been on a prepaid excursion I would have left long before I did.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank HabLeaf
Missouri
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Jewell Gardens”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Fun experience. Really great that they let you get close but safe with the glass blowing. Helping everyone make a nice piece and let you be involved in the glass blowing. The young guy hosting our trip was very knowledgable.

Visited September 2012
State College, Pennsylvania
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Glassblowing was FUN!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Had a great glassblowing experience here and thoroughly enjoyed tea and a visit to their gardens. I followed up the visit by spending some "dough" in their glass gallery as they had the most gorgeous items for sale. Since we were traveling via cruise ship and airline, they shipped my items and they arrived without issue within 10 days. The staff here were friendly and fun, and the hands-on glassblowing experience was great. We visited in September 2010 although I didn't have that date choice for this review.

Visited September 2012
5 Thank Pam S
London
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“Glassblowers, Gardens, Wonderful Folk”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was a real gem, as we only had limited time in Skagway and had opted for the White Pass railway trip. Luckily, I was able to get out to the Gardens for an hour or so and see some of the glassblowers and visit the wonderful gardens.

There are some Chihuly aspects/influence which is cute and the boutique has an array of arts and crafts - it's always good to support the local artists so why not come here to buy your gifts.

Aaron was really helpful and took care of me, making sure I got on the last bus back to the cruiseliner.

BEWARE: Of huge mosquitoes (horseflies), I got bitten on the forehead - they come out at dusk and hunt to kill!~

Visited August 2012
5 Thank HeatherMegaMauriFan

Been to Jewell Gardens? Share your experiences!