“Last minute wonder”

TEMSCO Helicopters - Skagway
Ranked #8 of 50 Tours in Skagway
More attraction details
Owner description: Timber. Exploration. Mining. Survey. Cargo. Operations. - We are TEMSCO Helicopters in Skagway, Alaska. TEMSCO was founded in Ketchikan, Alaska in 1958. Years of experience has consistently made us one of the safest and most reliable helicopter companies in Alaska. The TEMSCO Skagway Base offers various Helicopter and Glacier Flightseeing Tours. Please let us know about the experiences you have shared with us!
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The cruise ship was all booked up for helicopter excursions since they had to cancel their excursions in Juneau. When we docked, my husband walked across the port to Temsco and guess what, they had plenty of space available for our family of three! The views were breathtaking. Our pilot was knowledgeable and kind (hmmmm, we seem to get that a lot!) and somehow our helicopter of six people was able to enjoy a glacier all to ourselves. We even heard/saw it calving. Our pilot encouraged us to taste the glacier water (sweet!) and as we flew back to the port, he pointed out all the mountain goats, allowing us plenty of photo ops. Highly recommend!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Travelled to Skagway September 2012 - we had pre-booked the trip by helicopter to the Meade glacier.
After getting off the ship, met by a very helpful young lady - directed to bus for the short trip to the helicopter base. All safety gear given at the base. Our pilot - Kevin - was very friendly and helpful. He was also our guide whilst up on the glacier. There were only two helicopters flying (ours and another) when we went but I suppose that's the advantage of having an early start and going towards the end of the season!!!
This was our first trip up in a helicopter and we were all quite nervous - needless to say we were soon put at our ease and were flying over amazing lakes, mountains and glaciers!! We landed on the glacier (very smoothly!!) and we were all totally awed by being up there. The absolute quiet, the size of the glacier and just the whole experience left us all almost speechless. We looked down huge crevaces, drank glacier water and just generally enjoyed the whole time we were up there.
It is quite an expensive trip but I would say that if you do go to Alaska, walking on a glacier has got to rank up there with one of the best moments of your life!!

1  Thank redrosebud59
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We loved the ride, loved to walk on a glacier (again) so much different to Mendenhall glacier trekking experience, this was a really easy one.
The views are breathtaking, i enjoyed flightseeing something that i have never had access to before.
The landing was smooth, the guide on the glacier (a girl) was helpful, informative, kind, nice. She showed us all around.
BUT the pilot, he was really rude, we felt he was upset for doing this driver job all day long every 20 minutes or so. He just snapped at us, "well you know what are glaciers, so...." and then he applied the "get on, hang on and shut up" formula that mean mexican drivers use to his passengers....
So, being beside him, I felt uncomfortable whenever i was wowing and cheering and he was looking at me as if I was crazy or ridiculous.
The pilot that took us back to the city was nicer.

2  Thank krizkaz
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Very expensive but worth every penny! We were wisked by helo from Skagway to atop the Denver Glacier where we met a truly professional team that took us on a mushing trip that will NEVER be forgotten. Temsco/Alaska Ice Field Expeditions do a great job. Professional helo pilots and folks at the dog camp who own and love their dogs. Our trip out was scenic - a half hour scenic tour. On landing we met our "musher" who taught us how to mush! We met and loved on our sled dogs and got on the trail. A two mile loop that allows each to ride or "drive". Gee and Haw work. A great experience. And worth every penny.

1  Thank jtchapman
Reviewed August 19, 2012

First let me start by saying there is a good chance this tour will get cancelled. But you need to try. As soon as fog rolls in (which is very often) all the flying tours get cancelled (and refunded, so don't worry about that).

The helicopter ride was so much fun! I personally had never been in a helicopter and loved it. It gives an awesome view of the landscape of the area about a half hour tour I think. You saw the aerial view of green mountains, snow capped ones, intense blue spots of glacier, mountains taller than clouds....

I know they also offer hiking on the glacier but we went to do the dog sledding.

The part of the glacier for dog sledding isn't that intense blue part, it is snow covered so you can sled on it I suppose.

There must be hundreds of dogs there and it is very loud when they all think it is their turn to pull the sled:)

When you get your turn to stand on the back of the sled it is so exhilarating, Sitting is fun too but not as much.

They take a photo or two of your group while sledding which you can purchase for 20$ for one or 30$ for two.
After you sled which goes by WAY too fast you can pet and hold the puppies (if there are any, I guess) and then they fly you back the quick route.

I heard Temsco is a very reliable responsible company which is why I didn't hesitate to fly with them.

It is very expensive but the wrong place to save on if you want to skimp a bit choose something else like the place you sleep to save on.

They do provide lockers for all your belongings and there is no bathroom on the glacier so make sure children don't need the restroom before you fly out or they will have to use the same restroom as the dogs do.

4  Thank lmhb

Been to TEMSCO Helicopters - Skagway? Share your experiences!