“Lovely trip”

Skagway Shore Excursion: White Pass Summit and Skagway City Tour
Ranked #2 of 64 things to do in Skagway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Built in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush, this narrow gauge railroad is an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. Experience the breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, trestles & tunnels from the comfort of vintage train cars. Rail service between Skagway, Alaska, Fraser, BC, Carcross, Yukon, and Whitehorse, Yukon.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The train ride to White Pass was amazing. We saw the beautiful countryside while meandering along in comfortable train cars with unbelievable photo opportunities. The narrative we heard along the ride was very interesting, pointing out things we did not see when we took the road north of Skagway into the Yukon. There are a lot of historical sites along the way including the Gold Rush Cemetery and the Gold Rush Trail that prospectors walked along believing they were going to hit it big in Dawson Creek. There are restrooms on the train and they provide bottled water for the trip, but there is no food, so bring your own. It was a most enjoyable day!

4  Thank Pat M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,754)

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Did this tour with Chilkoot Charters whilst on an Alaskan cruise. Took the minibus up to Carcross and back to the train stop. Then train back to Skagway. You can see full review on my review for Chilkoot tours.

6  Thank newportdave
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We booked independently as we took the train from Fraser after an excursion with Beyond Skagway. Unfortunately the weather was bad on the day we visited, foggy and drizzly so visibility was poor and didn't see a lot of the sights. The commentary was interesting although you couldn't hear it if you stood outside. Am glad we didn't do the round trip as we spoke to a number of people who had done so and had not seen much at all. However no one can control the weather and am still glad to be able to say we did it.

1  Thank peppajay
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had White Pass & Yukon Route trip on August 30, 2013. I took the Motorcoach Service from Skagway to Carcross and the train along Yukon Route on the way back with the lunch at the Bennett Station. It was the perfect picture day. I paid extra for the bus tour because I was promised that I will have an opportunity to stop on our way to take pictures. I was totally misled. If you do not want to miss a chance to take photos of all the beautiful scenery make sure that you do not have guide Keoni. He will stop only where it is convenient for him. When you ask him why we did not stop and miss so many spectacular places he will tell you that we would be late for the train. Nevertheless, it did not stop him from chatting with his friends or driving off the road to pick his friends up. I still feel sorry that I was unfortunate to have this person as a guide. Other groups did not miss anything and were able to stop multiple times to take photos. We had fantastic weather so we were able to see glorious view through the windows, I just cannot share this beauty with anybody. The best view just around the Canadian border, all inside Canada Yukon along Klondike Highway, the Incredible mountain reflection in the lakes. The Motorcoach part was a lot of driving, but not a lot of rewards. The train part was just amazing. The best photo opportunity was to take picture from the open platform. You can stand at the front or the back of the carriage to take picture outside. The views were really incredible, and I have a lot of nice pictures. The lunch was really tasty; the beef stew just on time. And old Train station, where we had it was near the beautiful lake. In my opinion this trip is pricey. I should have taken the train and not the coach.

3  Thank Tatiana2304
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Took the White pass railroad excursion in July. The view was just breathtaking! Took tons of pictures. The whole journey was just relax and enjoyable. You don't wanna miss that if you are taking Alaska cruise!

1  Thank seasonwind009

Been to White Pass & Yukon Route Railway? Share your experiences!