“Wonderful base to explore St Emilion and Bordeaux”

Chateau de Courtebotte
Carrieres-sur-Seine, France
“Wonderful base to explore St Emilion and Bordeaux”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife, 2 kids and I stayed in the Le Pavillon for 2 weeks. It was bigger than we imagined and very well equiped. The bed was very comfortable. Isabelle who owns the Chateau de Courtebotte was brilliant. The swimming pool is heated to 26°C but we were lucky with the weather and it was during a heat wave where the pool at 29°C was a welcome escape from the heat. My kids are nearly 2 and 4. There was a slide and swings set up in a corner of the garden which the kids loved. Whilst we were there various outbuildings were being converted into additional appartments and all looked good. There is an excellent restaurant 5 mins walk from the Chateau that should really have a Michelin star and they are kids friendly. All in all and excellent stay and welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Our_man_in_Paris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
Leeds
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Not as close to Saint Emilion as we thought however that didn't matter. Isobelle greeted us with a smile and offered us a beer in the sun. She then walked us through the different dining options which included a full review of all the local restaurants. Our room had its own patio overlooking the Dordogne, large bath, walk-in shower and a chaise longue in the bathroom ....why not ?.

During the day we stayed by the pool and at night Isobel treated us to the Courtebotte Plate which we thought would just be a plate of cooked meats. Not the case, Isobel provided us with a full evening of drinks (cocktail, red and white wine), meats, cheeses and deserts. These were brought up periodically through the evening by our host. An excellent way to spend a nice, relaxing evening.

If I had a concern it was the lack of air-conditioning in the rooms however it wasn't a problem. The large doors and shutters keep the sun out during the day and as a result the room was cool despite the 30+ C temperatures outside.

Wifi is free and available in the chateau and out by the pool.

This is a great place to stay, very luxurious but overall will be remembered for a great host. Many thanks Isobelle. We will definitely be staying again.

Richard and Suzanne Walker

Room Tip: Patio Suite - overlooking Dordogne with great bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We traveled to St. Emillion for the first time at the end of May this year and spent 5 days and 5 nights at Chateau Courtebotte. I don't even know where to begin to describe how wonderful our stay was...Of all our stops in France over the 2 week period (From Paris to Biarritz, Bordeaux and back) this was by far the best part of our trip. Rooms are luxurious and private and we were able to stay in the Pavillion room which is a separate little house across from the main Chateau. We dined on homemade breakfast each morning in a stunning dining room with other guests and enjoyed the living spaces of the Chateau as if it were our own! The decor is absolutely beautiful and credit to the hostesses style! The host and hostess, Isabelle and Pascal, and their children are amazing and made us feel like we were at home in their home! The location is ideal for day trips to St Emillion, Bordeaux, Bergerac and more. We would not hesitate to return if life brings us that way again and encourage all to enjoy this beautiful spot.

Room Tip: All rooms are visible on the website and all unique so choose one that fits your taste and st
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Consider staying here instead of Saint Emilion, as long as you have a car. It is about a 20 minute drive into Saint Emilion and easy to get to other towns in the area.
We booked the Capri Suite for 3 nights via Expedia.
Within 24 hours, the owner, Isabelle, emailed me thanking me for the booking, and offering a number of suggestions regarding how we could spend our time in the area, covering dining, winery visits, touring of Saint Emilion and Bordeaux, including links to further information and travelling times.
It wasn’t a hard decision to decide to take up her offer to pre-arrange things for us.
We did not want long days and were looking for slow paced activities, so over the three days, we visited 3 wineries and took one tour of Saint Emilion (the underground wonders) and spent the rest of the time relaxing and just exploring the area.
The two recommendations we selected for dinner, the Auberge St Jean and the Le Comptoir de Genes de Castillon, were both excellent and quite contrasting.
All of the above was organised by Isabelle in advance of our arrival, including notifying the restaurants that I would need gluten free.
Of course, we followed the recommendations of many others on this forum and booked for the “Table d’ Hote” on the Tuesday night and were not disappointed. The food is good (including catering for gluten free for myself), the wines (local and regional) are good and the ambiance with fellow guests and Isabelle’s family including her husband Pascal, all made for a great night.
What more can I say about the room that has not been said by others on this forum! Everything in its place and all details thought of. We had a beautiful view up the Dordogne River, and plenty of space to stretch out.
We would not hesitate to book in here again next time we are in this part of France.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you are visiting St Emilion or the area, this chateau is the perfect base. Isabelle, my hostess, and her husband thought of every detail when they renovated this lovely little chateau on the banks of the Dordogne. Every room feels luxurious and comfortable. From the bathroom fixtures to the bed linens to the soaps and shampoo, everything was carefully chosen and is wonderful. In addition to the individually decorated rooms (no two are alike but all that I've seen are lovely), there are common rooms on the ground floor - a beautiful, huge salon, a TV room (although there are TVs in each room), the dining room and a billiard room. The lovely welcome coffee was just the first bit of excellent service I experienced at the Chateau. Isabelle recommended that I have dinner my first night at the Auberge Saint-Jean, a restaurant a 5 minute walk from the hotel in the little town of Saint-Jean-de-Blaignac, and she made a reservation for me. It was superb. My only regret during my stay at the Chateau de Courtebotte was to have missed the dinner Isabelle and Pascal served at the Chateau one evening. I chose not to attend because I wasn't sure of my schedule that day - but I really regret missing it! Everyone else staying at the Chateau (whom I met at the breakfast table) had attended and said the food was magnificent and it was an experience not to be missed. The breakfast that Isabelle served was delicious - homemade muffins and crepes, and baguette and croissants from the local bakery with a delightful selection of jams and perfect lattes - so I was not surprised that the dinner was excellent. Well, I will have to return and I will be sure to join the dinner next time! I had booked a room in the pavilion but Isabelle upgraded me as she had the space available (a rainy May mid-week). She showed me a couple of rooms and I chose the Concerto - a huge room with a huge bathroom, decorated with oversized lush velvet pink armchairs. I loved sitting at the window and looking out at the river. I highly recommend this lovely hotel with the proprietors who could not be more helpful with any and every request.

Room Tip: I loved the Concerto. Request a view of the Dordogne River!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed May 26, 2013

if you are trying to find a place to stay while visiting St Emillion- this is it! Chateau de Courtebotte is 5-10 minutes from St Emillion. Why stay in the overpriced, touristy hotels in S E? C Courtebotte is in a beautiful setting on the river Dordogne. A fantastic redo of original Chateau. They kept the original structure and feel of the old chateau and added a modern interior renovations and furnishings- it works very well. Very classy, elegant, and beautiful. The best part is Isabelle, the hostess and owner. She couldn't be nicer. Warm, friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Her home made yogurt and jams at breakfast are the best we have ever had. We stayed in a two room suite on the 2 nd floor- it was huge with views of the river and perfect for 3 adults. make sure to eat at the restaurant that Isabelle recommends within walking distance- it was fabulous. We wished we could have stayed longer, but we will return soon.

Room Tip: all are unique. ask for a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gibsonia, PA
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We spent 4 nights with at Chateau Courtebotte and seriously did not want to leave. The chateau has been beautifully decorated with the historic and modern combined. The rooms were all different-we stayed in the Vintage room, which was lovely. But what made it the most special was the assistance we received during our stay from Isabelle-what a great hostess! She was helpful before our arrival in setting up winery tours and restaurant reservations for us, and continued to make suggestions and reservations during our stay, and they even provided suggestions for restaurants in Paris. Lovely people and a lovely property. You will not go wrong staying there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Jean-de-Blaignac
Chateau Grand Barrail
Yndohotel
Yndohotel
#1 of 173 in Bordeaux
Chambres d'hotes Saint Emilion Bordeaux: Beau Sejour
Chambres d'hotes Saint Emilion B...
#1 of 3 in Naujan-et-Postiac
Domaine de Bel Air Carpe Diem
Domaine de Bel Air Carpe Diem
#1 of 2 in Tizac-De-Curton

Been to Chateau de Courtebotte? Share your experiences!