“Two very special meals of Nordic Island cuisine”

Alexander Restaurant at Padaste Manor
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Muhu
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, Scandinavian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Silicon Valley
“Two very special meals of Nordic Island cuisine”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

This review covers two meals, one in April and the other in September 2011. Both were extraordinarily interesting to this foodie and both featured most extensively raw materials from the Saaremaa islands of Estonia. The quality of the preparation was very high. Ditto presentation. There is an excellent and extensive wine list, fairly priced. On my first visit, I enjoyed a solitary tasting dinner in the glass conservatory; every dish was both distinctive and yet accessible. The breads from the kitchen were chewy and spectacular; the butter was locally churned. The second dinner I enjoyed at Alexander was one for a party of either, one of whom was vegetarian and two were small children. The kids got appropriate dishes and the vegetarian pronounced herself both impressed and well satisfied. The rest of us were glad to have the full palate of possibilities of that fine kitchen open to us. The wines provided, including a great bottle of champagne, were excellent and the wine list was pretty long. The pace of the dinners were leisurely, but appropriately so for a comfortable group of friends with lots of catching up to do. The larger dinner was served in a private dining room of great charm. I also took two buffet breakfasts that featured local products (kama jahu! fish! local pasture eggs! homemade jams and preserves! on and on!!) In addition, the group had an alfresco luncheon, set up and served on our whim, with terrific offerings negotiated with the kitchen. What a place!

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank M A K

Portsmouth
“A really beautiful location”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We arrived for lunch on the 29th August, we had to park in a field and walk up the drive to the mansion and press a button to get staff to let us in. Turns out the Summer restaurant was closed so we were shown to the main restaurant which was beautiful, we were the only people I saw other than the staff over lunch. The menu was basic you had only one choice for each course, I just wanted a main and had the only dish on offer a 3 cheese flan that I didn't finish, it was ok but no better than a pasty. Bill for lunch was 67 Euro, no alcohol just coffee so a bit expensive considering no choice in the menu, it was take it or leave it. I cannot fault the location it was just beautiful. I'm sure they were winding down for winter so my review should be read in that context.

Alton, United Kingdom
“AMAZING”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This restaurant offers an eight course tasting menu every night. The food is all locally provenanced, healthy, and utterly delicious. We ate a carpaccio of ostrich (believe it or not, there is an ostrich farm on Muhu), gorgeous scallops with a cauliflower "risotto", an eel terrine, and delectable fruity puddings with blueberries, raspberries and home-produced curd. Peeter Pihel doesn't have a Michelin star yet, but it can't be long. And the waitresses are friendly and well-informed without being a scrap pretentious. One of the best places I've ever eaten - and I've been to some good ones.

1 Thank Judith402
Washington, D.C.
“Small Portions, Poor Cooking”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I head a special four course crayfish dinner. This meant that there were little pieces of crayfish seen once to twice. The portions were small and lacked flavor. The main dish, a mousseline of crayfish and sea bass, was barely edible. This was the most expensive and worst meal I had in two weeks in Estonia.

paris
“Amazing and I am picky.”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I think the dinner I had here may have been the best I have had in years and I live in Paris where food is supposed to be good. The food was made with local ingredients, exceptionally prepared by the chef Peeter Pihel - I asked for his name because I was so impressed by the honesty and quality of food - and served by a gracious staff in a lovely room under the green trees. The breakfast meal was a joy also. I would go very far out of my way to eat here again.

• Visited May 2011